BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 19, 2016 11:21 pm  #1

Marvellous Midyear Fic Exchange 2016

Welcome to the inaugural Marvellous Midyear Fic Exchange, for those who love to read, write and exchange Sherlock fan fiction and don't want to wait until Christmas!

The theme for this exchange is "Summer". You can be as creative as you like with how you incorporate this theme! The minimum story length (prose) is 221 words. The maximum word count for stories is 10,000, but don't feel that you have to write this much! Poems can be any length the author wishes.

How does the fic exchange work? It's like a Secret Santa gift swap. Everyone who participates will be secretly assigned a recipient, and will write a story (or poem if you like) fulfilling their prompts. In return you will receive a story written to your own prompt, composed by another participant (not necessarily the person you are writing for). You will send your finished stories to me, and I will post them in a separate thread with the name of the recipient only, so that initially no one will know who wrote which story. The authors will be revealed at a later date after all the stories have been posted.

So, who would like to join? Send me a PM, and I will send you a questionnaire to find out your writing and reading preferences and deal-breakers. You will also be able to include additional details such as a prompt, key words, particular wishes etc.

Please fill it out and send it back to me via PM or email (I will provide my address with the questionnaire). When you have returned your questionnaire, I will add you to the list of participants below.

I'm leaving plenty of time for people to sign up (the more the merrier!), so I'll accept questionnaires until the 25th of April. I'll then take a week to (hopefully) match you all up as satisfactorily as possible, and send out your assignments. Writing will begin on the 2nd of May and you'll have 7 weeks to finish your stories. I will start posting them on the 20th of June, which is the Summer Solstice in the northern hemisphere.

Updated Schedule:
Monday 25 April – Registrations closed.
Monday 25 April – Participants received their prompts and began writing.
Sunday 19 June – Deadline for sending finished (and formatted) stories to me.
Monday 20 June – First story published, with others to follow on a regular timetable (every three days at this point)

* Story content must be suitable for this forum (no higher than a Mature rating), therefore no explicit sex scenes or graphic descriptions of gore/violence. If you would like to write a more explicit version of your story, this can be posted on AO3 with warnings.

* Also, no Setlock spoilers for season 4! (Speculation is fine)

* Please do not submit a questionnaire unless you are willing to participate. Submitting means you accept whichever prompt you'll get and will write a story for this exchange. Please do contact me if you have any questions, or any difficulties meeting your prompts or the writing deadline, we may be able to work something out.

* Stories need to be formatted correctly for the forum (see below for more information). This is your responsibility, but please ask for help in this thread if you need it. Please also ask for help with proofreading, beta-reading or Brit-picking, as there are usually people willing to assist.

* Don't forget to thank your secret writer when you receive your story, and leave a comment for them. Commenting on all stories is strongly encouraged, as authors put a lot of time, effort and love into writing their stories!

* Authors will be revealed one week after the final story is published.

* Once the exchange is complete (when all fics have been posted and writers' names revealed), participating authors are welcome to publish their stories on AO3 and add them to the Marvellous Midyear Fic 2016 collection.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask

Last edited by ukaunz (June 21, 2016 12:28 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 19, 2016 11:21 pm  #2

Re: Marvellous Midyear Fic Exchange 2016

Participants

dioscureantwins
kgreen20
Lilythiell
nakahara
Schmiezi
Sherlock Holmes
SusiGo
stoertebeker
Vhanja
Yitzock

Jawn?

Last edited by ukaunz (May 7, 2016 4:10 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 19, 2016 11:22 pm  #3

Please use this thread for questions, chatter, and progress reports. Comments on the stories, as they are published, are also to be posted in this thread.

The stories themselves will be posted in a separate thread, Marvellous Midyear Fics 2016.

Last edited by ukaunz (June 10, 2016 10:47 am)

March 19, 2016 11:23 pm  #4

Converting text files (eg. Word documents) into BBCode

Go to this post for latest info http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=257171#p257171

Last edited by ukaunz (June 4, 2016 10:20 am)

March 23, 2016 12:45 am  #5

Bumpity bump. It's a bit quiet in here... Are people having any misgivings about another fic exchange? Want me to make any changes to the theme, or anything else? Or are you all a bit too busy? Just wondering

Last edited by ukaunz (March 23, 2016 2:20 am)

March 23, 2016 8:30 am  #6

I would love to join, but already had problems to finish the Santa Fic. And till the end of June I will be even more busy. So I'm not very confident for that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

March 25, 2016 2:49 pm  #7

Count me in

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

March 25, 2016 4:52 pm  #8

Lilythiell wrote:

Count me in

Yay! :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

March 25, 2016 9:24 pm  #9

So that means we've got four now, plus our lovely organizer?

Clueing for looks.

March 25, 2016 10:23 pm  #10

This will be my first time doing a fic exchange like this, but I'd love to try it out! Count me in!

~proud member of OSAJ~

What is Lestrade's division?

March 25, 2016 11:14 pm  #11

Homicide division?  In Seasons 1 and 2, anyway.  Right?

Send ukaunz your private messages and fill out your questionnaire, everyone! =)

Last edited by kgreen20 (March 25, 2016 11:16 pm)

March 25, 2016 11:52 pm  #12

I will be joining the fun as well 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

March 26, 2016 2:24 am  #13

I'm not sure if I will be able to write a story... but I'm enjoying the organising so far

March 26, 2016 11:16 am  #14

kgreen20 wrote:

Send ukaunz your private messages and fill out your questionnaire, everyone! =)

Done. :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

March 26, 2016 4:20 pm  #15

Just sent a PM. Keeping fingers crossed I will make it in time (and be inspired as well). 

Just one question - no spoilers for series 4 does mean no references to setlock, right? Speculations based on what we got so far are fine? 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 26, 2016 4:28 pm  #16

That sounds like a good idea to me.  What does everyone else think?

Clueing for looks.

March 26, 2016 8:08 pm  #17

Yes, that is what I meant Susi. I will change the wording.

Last edited by ukaunz (March 26, 2016 8:11 pm)

March 27, 2016 10:18 pm  #18

Oooh! Five participants now! This is getting more exciting.

Clueing for looks.

March 28, 2016 1:20 am  #19

A couple of other people have said they will join, I just haven't added their names yet (can't until they submit their prompts). There will probably be at least eight

Last edited by ukaunz (March 28, 2016 1:21 am)

March 28, 2016 10:20 am  #20

Ooh, this is getting rather exciting, is it not?

Can't wait to start

@Jawn, Secret Santa Fic Exchange last year was my first fic exchange and even if I was a bit daunted in the face of it (nope, haven't been watching series 3 again...yet) I had an awful lot of fun, it was entertaining (I do love learning new words, finding synonyms, using the dictionaries and all. Yup, I'm a language nerd ) and enriching.
Dont be scared of it, it'll be a great experience

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

Board footera