BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 8, 2016 7:15 am  #1061

Re: Doctor Who

I read about him (inadvertently?) re-using the "It's raining, it's pouring .." line from Jekyll.  I suppose it could just be a bad memory! 

March 8, 2016 8:48 am  #1062

Well, he's a professional, so if he does indeed suffer from bad memory and it's important to him to not use the same lines over and over again (or to use lines from other writers), then he should just double-check (or pay someone else to double-check his writing...).
My guess is that he either doesn't care or, more likely, that he's doing it on purpose.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

March 8, 2016 6:16 pm  #1063

Yesterday I watched Dr. Who and realised for the first time that a line sounded very familiar. Can't name the episode though. It was definitely close enough to recognize the Sherlock ressemblance. So he is copying both ways, if I get it right?
Tbh, I think that's kind of normal. I wouldn't be able to keep apart all shows in m head. But yes, of course he could let s.o. check it.

Dr. Who is on TV here in Germany at the moment. Evenings, twice a week, 20.15, EinsFestival. If  anybody didn't knew anyway :-) And I found someone who is kind enough to share some DVDs with me. I'm so happy to be able to catch up a bit now and be able to take part in this thread finally... :D

Last edited by Whisky (March 8, 2016 6:22 pm)

"It is what it is."

March 8, 2016 6:35 pm  #1064

Welcome to the thread, Whisky!  And yes, I suppose it is normal, in that Moffat is writing for TV, and there must be an awful lot of writing (not like doing a film screenplay every couple of years) - bound to be some repetition.  Especially with vaguely similar characters.   (I'm assuming you were watching a Moffat episode!). 

There's some (very, very tentatively!) possibly hopeful news on Peter Capaldi:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-03-07/peter-capaldi-ive-been-asked-to-stay-on-in-doctor-who-after-steven-moffat-leaves

I would love him to stay.  I think it would be really interesting to see him with a new writer. 

Last edited by Liberty (March 8, 2016 6:38 pm)

March 8, 2016 6:43 pm  #1065

He was on R2 today, being equally charming and diplomatic!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 9, 2016 6:00 am  #1066

Welcome, Whisky! So where are you with DW right now? EinsFestival started with S5 and Matt Smith, did you start with Chris Eccleston?
And well, I still think Moffat is copying - or you could also say referencing, sounds a bit more positive - himself on purpose. It's probably a matter of taste whether one likes this or not. Like I said, in the beginning I thought it was kind of charming, but after several seasons it's getting boring.

Liberty, thanks for that link. I'm not sure about Capaldi staying when Chibnall takes over though. Might be interesting, might also mean that Chibnall will be a bit restricted in his writing and his general concept for the show. But since David Tennant left when RTD left, it might be nice to see Capaldi take another route and stay when a new showrunner takes over.

Last edited by SolarSystem (March 9, 2016 6:05 am)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

March 9, 2016 9:53 am  #1067

I don't mind the occasional referencing but prefer more subtle Easter eggs. To me, reusing lines again and again is sloppy and lazy writing. There...I've said it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 9, 2016 10:16 am  #1068

I totally agree with you. 

March 9, 2016 5:18 pm  #1069

I am loathe to say it...but I have to agree.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 10, 2016 10:09 pm  #1070

Sadly, when I compare some of the writing to the very best that TV writers can offer (I could give you a reasonably long list of those shows I regard as very strongly written) it falls below that which I would expect or hope for. I do not take pleasure in saying this but I do feel it is true. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 11, 2016 9:20 am  #1071

The writing is quite varied and sometimes a little bit hit and miss with DW (no wonder if you look at the production speed, there is little time to double-check anything or do something else if something does not quite work), but for me at least, the germs are worth the moments where I feel they did not quite hit the mark.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

March 11, 2016 5:01 pm  #1072

I hope they never hit Mark!  Tee Hee. 

March 11, 2016 5:53 pm  #1073

I think it has been hit and miss all along, to be honest.  I barely watched it in the '80s, and so have quite low expectations.  I think I'm still drawn to it partly through sentiment: I loved it as a child, and I loved watching the reboot with my own child.  I particularly enjoyed the last series!  I thought Heaven Sent was outstanding, and my favourite episode ever.  I do have some issues with the writing now and then which I've mentioned before, but I don't really watch much of that type of show (children/family) so don't have a lot to compare it to. 

Having said that, I'm watching mainly for Peter Capaldi now.   When he leaves, it will depend on the writer and the new Doctor, and there's no guarantee that I'll continue unless they're pretty good. 

Last edited by Liberty (March 11, 2016 5:55 pm)

March 14, 2016 1:13 am  #1074

I just finished watching "A Good Man Goes to War" and I thought the writing was brilliant. I guess I'm still at the stage of thinking Stephen Moffat is very clever and enjoying it all, even the lesser episodes. Anyway, I was spoiled for the big reveal about River Song ages ago, and would love to know what it was like for those who watched it when it was first aired, finding out who she really is. I reckon I wouldn't have seen it coming at all. The whole thing with Amy having a baby like that would have been a shock too. What was it like, for those who weren't spoiled?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 14, 2016 7:25 am  #1075

I think we talked about this in this thread at one point, in spoiler tags actually. I didn't see it coming at all, although I guess at one point we all suspected that something strange was going on with her. But I never would have thought it would be this. I did indeed have an OMG moment. I'm still determined to go back and watch all the episodes with Matt Smith again, because I suspect that now that I know what's going on with River I might stumble across some obvious plot holes...  

March 14, 2016 8:39 am  #1076

I didn't guess it at all, although I'd been trying to!  I found the whole story about Amy's pregnancy and baby very, very dark, to be honest - darker than I'd expected in a children's show.   It was so sad that Amy never had a relationship with her daughter as a child (I know they were at school together, but it wasn't a mother/daughter relationship).  Even when she knows River is her daugher, it can never really be a mother/daughter relationship.   Awful for Rory as well (and for River!), of course, but it was Amy's experience that really got to me.

March 15, 2016 5:16 am  #1077

It certainly was the biggest revelation in all New Who, but on an emotional level there were things which got to me much more. When Eleven turns up at Amy's doorstep for example (I don't even remember what it was all about, I just remember that I almost cried...). And when Eleven calls Clara on the phone while Twelve is standing there, looking at her. And Ten saying goodbye to Rose, of course. And Ten saying goodbye to Donna, of course, when she didn't recognize him anymore.

Last edited by SolarSystem (March 15, 2016 5:17 am)

March 15, 2016 8:04 am  #1078

Yes, Ten saying goodbye to Donna was heartbreaking.   I was also moved by Rory waiting all those years.  I think I was just so shocked by the Amy story - I can't imagine what having your child abducted would be like and how it would change you forever.  The only positive thing was that Amy quite quickly knew that River survived and was OK.  But that meant she also knew that there was no way to get her baby/child back. 

March 26, 2016 6:27 am  #1079

What about this episode? Rory and Amy get me emotional in general but gosh this episode made me cry.

And you can't forget one of the saddest moments on Who (even though it feels like everyone does): Donna and Lee. The adorable couple who fell in love and had a family together in an alternate reality, just to not be able to find each other in reality. And because of Donna's memory loss in the finale, even if he hunted her down, she wouldn't remember him.

~proud member of OSAJ~

What is Lestrade's division?

March 26, 2016 11:21 pm  #1080

True, Jawn, those moments are very moving indeed. That episode with Rory and Amy is probably one of the best in the whole Matt Smith era. Almost right up there with "Vincent and the Doctor" which makes me cry everytime.

Board footera