BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 4, 2016 8:39 pm  #61

Re: What films in the pipeline are you keen to see?

I am watching The Danish Girl with Eddie Redmayne on Monday. 

My friend and I have been looking forward to this film for a year now! We're both crushing on Eddie, especially after we saw him in The Theory of Everything... and it just seems like the 'perfect' film for us.

He looks absolutely gorgeous as Lily Elbe. 

(and from an LGBT viewpoint I love how most journalists here for once get the pronouns right, though one interview with a descendant of Lily's had to be corrected by the young man,) 

The film already seems to have a positive effect on some people towards the Trans people. One of my old friends who has always been very religious... she's not homophobic as such, she just pretends it doesn't exist... She shared the trailer on Facebook and tagged me in it, asking me if I was going to watch it. Well. Duh. lol. 

I am also looking forward to seeing how they transformed Copenhagen... I missed my chance to see them shoot it. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 4, 2016 8:51 pm  #62

Hail Cesar
Midnight Special
Birth of a Nation

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 4, 2016 8:57 pm  #63

Oh, I can't wait to see "Hail Caesar!"...! Clooney is so hilarious in the trailer!

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 4, 2016 9:01 pm  #64

Yes, Hail Ceasar looks hilarious! And Ralph Fiennes is great, too! From the trailer and couple clips I've seen, it looks really fun.
Curious about Birth of a Nation also, I had kind of forgotten about it, and I want to see the reviews first.  It's kind of a remake, isn't it? I might want to watch the old one first, potentially.

Enjoy The Danish Girl, Phantom! I certainly did!

Clueing for looks.

February 4, 2016 9:37 pm  #65

Yitzock, I don't think that "Birth of a Nation" is a remake of D.W. Griffith's silent movie from 1915.
Quite the contrary, actually, because Griffith's film does indeed have racist tendencies. You might want to have a look at this wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Birth_of_a_Nation_%282016_film%29

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

February 5, 2016 12:28 am  #66

Well, I figured it wouldn't be as racist as the old one, but it's a similar period of history, right? Sort of like a reclaiming of their own history?

Clueing for looks.

February 5, 2016 7:35 am  #67

Well, then I suppose I'm just having a slightly different idea about the word "remake". In this case I wouldn't use the word "remake", whereas for example "Sleuth" (2007) with Jude Law and Michael Caine would be (in my understanding) a definite remake of the movie from 1972 with Laurence Olivier and Michael Caine.
Might be an interesting question to ask director und writer Nate Parker though.

February 5, 2016 7:41 pm  #68

Well, maybe it's not a remake, but I feel like the title had to have been consciously chosen at any rate.

Clueing for looks.

February 22, 2016 11:35 pm  #69

Deadpool! That is all...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 23, 2016 8:21 am  #70

I'm interested in "Hail, Caesar!".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

March 14, 2016 1:03 am  #71

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 17, 2016 11:15 am  #72

The movie "Wilde" (1997) is not a new one, but I would really love to see it. Saw pictures of Jude Law as young Lord Alfred Douglas and was DEADED!

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

March 17, 2016 11:38 am  #73

Wow, he's gorgeous I haven't seen it either, but now I think I will!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 17, 2016 11:40 am  #74

Oh My

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 17, 2016 4:51 pm  #75

I have the DVD on my shelf, excellent film.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 24, 2016 7:36 pm  #76

Captain America Civil War. Anyone else?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 24, 2016 8:33 pm  #77

Yeah, definitivley. I love Marvel (though the ladt Avengers was a disapointment). I hope I'm going to see it next week or the week after. Looking forward to see Martin in it 😊

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

April 26, 2016 3:01 am  #78

Oh, obviously!  Although not sure how soon will get to see. 

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

May 7, 2016 10:16 pm  #79

Davina wrote:

Captain America Civil War. Anyone else?

I saw it recently and I really enjoyed it.

I'm really looking forward to the new Alice in Wonderland film. I saw Andrew Scott in the trailer! Yay!

Kirkiarty

May 8, 2016 7:50 am  #80

God I'd forgotten about Alice.
Yes, I want to see that, too!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera