BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 12, 2012 3:37 pm  #21

Re: Elementary pilot review

sherlockskitty wrote:

I didn't know that.  sheesh.   yeah  TV  needs more original stories.   Soooo---CBS  is  re-doing it,  ONLY  because BBC's Sherlock is so darned popular with us  viewers.

They're ripping off an old movie in order to make it look as if they're not ripping off a new one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

August 19, 2012 8:01 am  #22

I remember reading an interview by Stephen Moffat that CBS had asked whether they could adapt BBC's Sherlock but they had said no because they were worried that it would ruin the Sherlock brand.

After reading up on Elementary, I have to ask why bother if they are going to make so many changes. I don't like the fact that Watson is female and that there would be a romantic link between her and Sherlock. This completely changes the character of Sherlock. Elementary just seems so gimmicky and a desperate attempt to outdo the BBS series. It would have been better if CBS were to create their own show based upon the characters of Sherlock Holmes. With the numerous crime shows in the US, Elementary would find it hard to compete and Miller's Sherlock is very similar to Spencer Reid from Criminal Minds. I don't hold much hope for Elementary.

August 19, 2012 8:44 am  #23

I'd hate to be their writers.
Moftiss & co are waiting & watching for anything that is similar to their product. They really are limited somewhat.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

September 4, 2012 11:10 am  #24

I watched the Pilot. I didn't hate it. I liked the fact that Watson is actually allowed to participate somewhat in solving the crime. I didn't feel there was any sexual tension - Watson appears to be more interested in the work Sherlock does and enjoys it more than her own work, rather than particularly being interested in him. Particulaly with the whole temper-tantrum car smashing business.

I have no doubt I will not enjoy it nearly so much as BBCs Sherlock and it definitely has the potential to become a formulaic American cop-drama with some ACD names thrown in (and almost certainly will, being a CBS drama).

But yeah, didn't hate it. It's watchable as long as you're open minded enough to not compare it with BBC's Sherlock, and willing to forget that there ever were books written by ACD that this is supposed to be derived from!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

September 11, 2012 8:46 pm  #25

You know what, I would be much happier to accept the general premise and storyline of the series (ie. Sherlock becoming a detective in New York), if they'd just called the Lucy Liu character something else - like Amanda Smith or something completely non-canonical, then we could have all just pretended that Watson had got married and stayed in London, God I would have liked that SOOOOOO much better, and so much more believable.

Anyway, I haven't seen the pilot, but I did see the extended trailer. There were some moments in it that made me laugh, and I'm starting to think it won't be as bad as I originally thought, just as long as you don't take it too seriously...I notice it now says it's "inspired by" Sherlock Holmes, and isn't claiming to be a direct adaptation. Which is good.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

September 12, 2012 9:44 am  #26

Steven Moffat about "Elementary"

Sherlock mania has started spreading Stateside but how does he feel about Elementary, another modern retelling of Sherlock Holmes, set in America? Especially given the controversial decision to cast Lucy Liu as a female version of Holmes’ sidekick John Watson? “I can’t comment on their artistic decisions at all. That wouldn’t be fair or reasonable. All I’ve said was, CBS approached us about adapting our version […] and we said no because we’d had some bad experiences in the past. So they went, ‘well if you ever change your mind, get in touch’ and the next thing we heard they’d just decided to go and do one anyway. I think it’s remarkably bad behaviour.†

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/steven-moffat-would-a-middleaged-person-abscond-in-a-magic-caravan-8096356.html

I didn't know that they asked Mofftiss about adapting Sherlock.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

September 18, 2012 4:20 pm  #27

I watched the trailer and I hated. the only good thing was that below I could see Sherlock  at the same time saying "P...Off". My sentiments exactly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Valentine:  Do you know the stars, Mr Tietjens?
Christopher:  I despise astronomy.

September 18, 2012 8:45 pm  #28

Ivy wrote:

Sherlock mania has started spreading Stateside but how does he feel about Elementary, another modern retelling of Sherlock Holmes, set in America? Especially given the controversial decision to cast Lucy Liu as a female version of Holmes’ sidekick John Watson? “I can’t comment on their artistic decisions at all. That wouldn’t be fair or reasonable. All I’ve said was, CBS approached us about adapting our version […] and we said no because we’d had some bad experiences in the past. So they went, ‘well if you ever change your mind, get in touch’ and the next thing we heard they’d just decided to go and do one anyway. I think it’s remarkably bad behaviour.�� 

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/steven-moffat-would-a-middleaged-person-abscond-in-a-magic-caravan-8096356.html

So, if Moftiss said no, why is it bad behavior for CBS to go ahead on their own?

I was not impressed with the trailer, but I will probably watch at least one episode to give it a fair chance.

September 19, 2012 12:04 am  #29

kazza474 wrote:

The Elementary people should veer away from the Holmes premise, they MAY have a good mystery show, because they won't have a good Holmes show. Their attitude has already ruled that link out.

As for the romance thing, that shows a leaning towards a less matured audience, one who will accept a more trashy story. Romance never has and never will be a part of REAL Holmes tales.

Good way to put it: possibly a good show, but not a good Holmes show. Yeah, why is it if there is a girl and a boy together, their MUST be romance?? Hopefully this is subtle in the show. Ah, what do I don't care, I'm not going to watch it.

Another thing - Watson is "forced" to work with Sherlock here, not of her own accord! That's a little annoying. Though, I guess they are trying to be as far away from a "rip-off" as possible so they are changing a lot of things.

When it comes down to it, the US is obviously just doing this because of BBC's Sherlock's success, as you guys have mentioned.

The other day, I asked a friend if he had heard of Sherlock. He said, "Oh, that show that's coming out?" Me: ".......Elementary?" Him: "Yeah" Me: "No." Then I put on Sherlock and he was really liking it. Quick save

----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."

September 19, 2012 1:15 am  #30

FYI Johnny Lee Miller has stated in interviews that the show is not intending to go down the sexual tension / romance path at all. So that's a bit of a relief - if they stick to that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

September 19, 2012 7:02 am  #31

veecee wrote:

Ivy wrote:

Sherlock mania has started spreading Stateside but how does he feel about Elementary, another modern retelling of Sherlock Holmes, set in America? Especially given the controversial decision to cast Lucy Liu as a female version of Holmes’ sidekick John Watson? “I can’t comment on their artistic decisions at all. That wouldn’t be fair or reasonable. All I’ve said was, CBS approached us about adapting our version […] and we said no because we’d had some bad experiences in the past. So they went, ‘well if you ever change your mind, get in touch’ and the next thing we heard they’d just decided to go and do one anyway. I think it’s remarkably bad behaviour." 

So, if Moftiss said no, why is it bad behavior for CBS to go ahead on their own?

I was not impressed with the trailer, but I will probably watch at least one episode to give it a fair chance.

Ok what this means is, anyone can make a show based on ACD's works; they don't have to ask anyone's permission for that. Those works have been done and are not continuing to be made by ACD. So the canon is no longer 'tabooo' as something for others to copy because the originator is not going to be doing any more & hence will lose no money if it happens.
Moftiss have made an adaptation of Sherlock Holmes with their series and are continuing to do so. This means anyone else who tries to use the type of adaptation that they have ( Holmes in the 21st century, using all the mod cons, having all the different behaviours etc) will skate very close to the invisible line of plagiarism / ripping off a current project. Legal proceedings would probably find that there IS indeed a case to answer for copying Moftiss' ideas as CBS would financially benefit from using someone else's ideas.

When CBS approached Moffat, it was because THEY now wanted to do an adaptation of HIS ideas ( Holmes in 21st century etc) But Moffat has plans for this to be an on going project, so naturally he said no & as it says, they could have 'cheapened' the ideas if they didn't do it in the correct manner.
But then they went forward & started their OWN version of Holmes in the 21 st century, etc and have had to change enough elements (no pun intended) so that it doesn't look like BBC Sherlock. In doing so, they basically said ' We want your idea'; Moffat said " No" they said " well we'lll do it anyway, but chop it up into something less recognised as a copy of yours, but you already know that its YOUR idea we're chopping up". 

That's why Moffat called it rude. And I tend to agree with him on that; the 'we'll take whatever we want' attitude sucks saveloys.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

September 19, 2012 6:23 pm  #32

It's just one more adaptation, 21st century or not. From what I've seen, it isn't anything like Sherlock, although I admit I haven't seen much. And what I did see didn't impress me.

September 22, 2012 3:02 pm  #33

I think Elementary will always be second best behind the BBC's Sherlock, no matter how good it may end up being.  The BBC's production, vision, and acting, is just THAT GOOD.

The game is afoot!

September 22, 2012 3:18 pm  #34

The problem is, the face of Mr. Miller tells me... nothing. I think I will not be much interested in him or even can feel what he feels. I miss the "special something". He might be nice, but he is just so ordinary.  

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 22, 2012 3:46 pm  #35

Agree, when I read the newspaper article about this stunning new BBC series, I got stuck with the picture (aka Susi's avatar) right away:
This is something I want to give a try because it looks interesting.
No, Elementary, sorry, you don't look interesting enough to me. Too much of the same...

Last edited by Harriet (September 22, 2012 3:49 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

September 22, 2012 4:31 pm  #36

I received a mail for see the pilot.. I like the Sherlock Holmes of J. Lee Miller and I like Joan Watson too. But the script is very....what do I say...?  "lourd" in french.
But it is a good serie like others. JLM play Sherlock very good but he is not really Sherlock, for me, it is a guy who looks like Sherlock. Like Dr. House.
Joan Watson is played good by Lucy Liu. I think that She is a good actress and I like her character...because Watson is a woman ! Vive les Femmes !

One day, somebody will creat a Sherlock Woman....

September 22, 2012 4:51 pm  #37

It might be an interesting show anyway. And I will watch it. (As soon as it's possible in Germany...)
It might be hard to reach an effort with us, who are Benedicted; but I know everyone has one's favourite Sherlock Holmes. I was angry when a friend of mine refused watching Sherlock because she thinks Jeremy Brett is the one and only. That's why I will not avoid Elementary.

But, please, someone might prevent Sherlock as a woman.
Not offense, but that would be too much for me. No thanks. 

Last edited by Mattlocked (September 22, 2012 4:56 pm)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 22, 2012 4:52 pm  #38

Emy: I also think Elementary probably is a good series with good actors.
And I DO LOVE New York, even better than London.
But for me, all this is not enough to make me watch. There are so many good shows that I don't watch either...

Last edited by Harriet (September 22, 2012 4:57 pm)

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

September 22, 2012 5:05 pm  #39

Yes, of course, but I am a fan of Sherlock Holmes, the character of Arthur Conan Doyle and I try, when I watch the pilot, to forget Sherlock with Cumberbatch and I compare with Holmes of ACD.

It is true that Sherlock, for me, is better than Elementary because it is the firt modern serie of SH !

I am afraid that Elementary will become more famous than Sherlock and that people prefer it because it is american like Dr.House, Grey's Anatomy, Expert Miami, etc...

September 22, 2012 5:15 pm  #40

Emy Klevers wrote:

Yes, of course, but I am a fan of Sherlock Holmes, the character of Arthur Conan Doyle.

I'm not, but that's ok, at least I hope so. I lost interest decades ago, and never found it again.
Just like a piece of clothes I grew out and left behind. I think I found better books. Well, for me.

Btw, thanks to this board for being also open for folks like me.

Emy Klevers wrote:

and I try, when I watch the pilot, to forget Sherlock with Cumberbatch and I compare with Holmes of ACD.

That's a fair approach! And they deserve people like you.
For me, Cumberbatch/Freeman are so special that I forgive them being from ACD 

Emy Klevers wrote:

I am afraid that Elementary will become more famous than Sherlock and that people prefer it because it is american like Dr.House, Grey's Anatomy, Expert Miami, etc...

Could be, but I really don't care what such people think 

Board footera