BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 9, 2016 5:48 pm  #21

Re: Donald Trump

That's the least offensive thing about him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 9, 2016 6:40 pm  #22

Absolutely, but I have no words to describe him anymore, not just here in general and I realised I never mentioned his stupid, disgusting hair, although it is quite obvious.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

March 9, 2016 10:07 pm  #23

Ok, if Trump wins my family and I are going to start traveling the world.  Who's willing to put us up for a week or two?    

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 9, 2016 10:38 pm  #24

I haven't seen many interviews with Trump, just read them. Now I'm watching and I cannot believe how he talks so confidently and says nothing with it. He throws around big words, uses superlatives, and compliments anyone he has need of, but  dismisses anything he's not interested in. It's scary. It's like he just laughs critics away, and keeps afloat on his cloud of selfconfidence... why does this work? He doesn't even proove anything, he just says it and then it must be true... and it works?
(That reminds me of Sherlock's Magnusson. Except Trump is all smiles while he is doing it.)

Actually, what exactly does he mean with "making America great again"?
What's his idea of that?

@tonnaree: travelling is always a good choice ;-) you're welcome

Last edited by Whisky (March 9, 2016 10:50 pm)

"It is what it is."

March 9, 2016 11:57 pm  #25

Thank you Whiskey.    I'll be posting a Sign Up sheet so that people can volunteer for the dates they can house us.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

March 10, 2016 6:40 am  #26

If you don't mind slumming it, you're welcome here!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 10, 2016 9:05 am  #27

You are welcome to visit.

sarcasm on!
There are enough countries in EU who have space for refugees form the USA because they refuse to take people from Syria, and you bring money (I guess) and you have the "right" faith (or none at all), so they probably will be excited to take you.
sarcasm off!

----------

March 10, 2016 2:52 pm  #28

Ivy wrote:

sarcasm on!
There are enough countries in EU who have space for refugees form the USA because they refuse to take people from Syria, and you bring money (I guess) and you have the "right" faith (or none at all), so they probably will be excited to take you.
sarcasm off!

Yes...bad, bad EU countries.... they don´t know yet how pleasant and uplifting it is to bath in a swimming pool under the supervision of bodyguards...

http://www.arriba-erlebnisbad.de/
http://www.welt.de/vermischtes/article152914908/Maenner-und-Frauen-nur-noch-getrennt-auf-die-Rutsche.html

They should be ashamed, open their hearts generously and take at least some Syrian refugees from Afghanistan, Algeria, Kosovo and other afflicted Syrian regions....

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

March 11, 2016 4:27 am  #29

Chipping in to say also - what Davina said.  Trust me, a lot of us feel the same way.....  it's unnervingly worrying.    (and interesting that a lot of people overseas feel similar)  Awkward wondering what you guys think of us... I mean, I know some other first-world countries muck some things up too (and the big problems of politician/corporate greed/hate aren't unique), but when you come across an article showing Gallup poll results that a lot of other major countries consider the U.S. to be a main threat to world peace, it's....   well, erf.

Seriously... how the hell did he get this far?  They should have done something about it before it got to this... although I agree with snippets I hear that this seems partly a result of what we have sown from years of willful hate and ignorance (Fox News, anyone?) leading to such a candidate making it so far and being so popular... it's not just about Trump... Trump is just the horrible end result that was allowed to happen and shows us how badly we need a shift in attitude towards race/poverty/what gov't gets away with.  Like others said, I'm just as scared of the followers, who seem to be a lot of the same people who hated Obama for every little thing... I don't think they realize the good effect Obama had, fixing things after Bush (no, he wasn't perfect, but still).  I've even heard some Republicans lament what their party has turned into.  That's sad.  And all of them talking about the vague 'make America great again' that was mentioned here - to them, it seems to mean going back to what we used to be decades ago?  I don't know.

I hope his level of seeming popularity isn't entirely true when it comes to the actual big voting time. (I also desperately hope the (somewhat understandable) frustrated apathy certain demographics of people have towards the state of things now and believing whether their vote does anything, will make them realize that not voting isn't going to help keep him away, either, and that they'll turn out to keep that from happening).
People like him because he's 'a good businessman'? (sorry, people, he's really not)  Because he's saying all the hateful things they wish they could without consequence?  Have they even thought about how hypocritical some of it is to their beloved 'rights' people have, and how that kind of voice really shouldn't be the one of our highest level 'diplomat', and the ripple of effects they are having?   He even encourages it!

Story from a young woman who's not a supporter, but went to his rally out of curiosity, then was forecefully kicked out:
http://deadlinedetroit.com/articles/14450/um-dearborn_student_my_scary_experience_being_ejected_at_trump_s_rally_in_warren#.Vt8mUul97zJ

Nervous that's the state of things for anyone who thought it was a joke, or harmless stupidity, I'm sorry, but no...  not when hear stories in the paper like how this dad got called by his son's teacher, giving him a heads up that two of his third-grader's classmates (Third-graders!!) decided to point out the "immigrants" in the class who would be sent "home" when Trump becomes president, who singled him out and were pointing and laughing at him as one who would have to leave because of the color of his skin.  In third grade!  And this other story I remember feeling bad for, this other parent talking about the effects of Trump's rhetoric and hate when their very young daughter heard about his 'send Muslims away' thing and worriedly asked her dad if she should start packing a suitcase.    No wonder people are thinking of leaving again.  Don't know what else the 'rest' of us can do other than not vote for him…  and at least get it off our chests here…   nice to see similar intellect from you guys….

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

March 11, 2016 12:17 pm  #30

The level of violence at Trump's rallies is deeply disturbing.  Solid proof that hateful words lead to hateful actions.  I fear someone is going to be seriously hurt or killed eventually.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

March 11, 2016 1:17 pm  #31

These presidental elections are a sheer tragedy. Donald Trump is a sheer disaster, but I think he probably will not be successful in the long run. The situation seems more favourable for Hillary Clinton. And therein lies the problem.

Hillary Clinton should be an improvement over Donald Trump?

The town of Sirte after the intervention in which Clinton activelly participated under the guise of "protecting the civilians from the bad, bad, dictator":

This is how the same place looked like initially:

So after a successful liberation of Lybia from a bad, bad dictator, the life is rosy in this country now... isn´t it? What is happening in Sirte now?

Well, if you consider sharia law, ISIS, public beheadings and crucifictions rosy...

And what is the rosy future for the Hillary Clinton liberated Lybia? New military intervention, probably:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-libya-security-italy-idUSKCN0WB20J

More thousands and thousands of people will die because of idiotic politics of NATO powers in this country...

Trump or Clinton, they are both awful... and I´m afraid, their party colleagues are from the same stock.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

March 11, 2016 5:10 pm  #32

I'd like Bernie, but don't think it'll happen.

March 26, 2016 5:16 am  #33

For all you Brits, imagine living in America and having to deal with this political crap every day. Let me tell you from personal experience: t's horrible.

I'm agreeing with about what nakahara said. You're basically picking the lesser of two evils when you pick between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton. I wish we had someone like Mycroft to keep the American government together

~proud member of OSAJ~

What is Lestrade's division?

March 26, 2016 8:52 am  #34

Hey I think as I mentioned before, it's no picnic over here, either.
Well I feel we are better in Scotland.
But the Westminster government is the worse we've had for years.
Still not comparable to the prospect of a Trump president, I agree.

March 26, 2016 4:42 pm  #35

Politics these days just drives me up the wall. Wish they could find someone who [really knows what they're doing to put in charge

~proud member of OSAJ~

What is Lestrade's division?

March 26, 2016 4:43 pm  #36

I wish you could keep Obama.

April 4, 2016 1:02 pm  #37

----------

April 10, 2016 10:55 pm  #38

What the hell are Super Delegates? (I know by the way but I find the whole idea completely deranged!)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 11, 2016 5:39 am  #39

I think both our systems have flaws.
But I do think it's silly the American people are not allowed to re-elect a president for a third term(and yes I know why.)...what if they think he's the best thing since sliced bread?

April 11, 2016 7:03 am  #40

We had Helmut Kohl for 16 years, so there are moments I'd like a two term limitation.

----------

Board footera