BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 12, 2014 5:32 am  #1

Ever notice that Sherlock is wearing jeans in this episode?

I was rewatching TBB tonight (an underrated episode, in my opinion) and only just noticed that Sherlock is wearing jeans in it! I think my head just exploded.

I first noticed that he appeared to be wearing jeans as he's striding towards the fire escape, but I wasn't sure until he's rolling around on the carpet after getting strangled and you can clearly see the rivets and a leather patch at the waistband.

I love how you can watch this show a million times and still spot something new. I also love how Sherlock can make dark wash jeans look very elegant.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

May 12, 2014 9:41 am  #2

Re: Ever notice that Sherlock is wearing jeans in this episode?

I never noticed it when I watched the show, but at one point I came across some gifs or pics on tumblr where it was clear to see.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 12, 2014 6:58 pm  #3

I have to put this fact on my "Things that I haven't noticed in Sherlock even after watching all seasons 6 times" list

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

May 12, 2014 7:36 pm  #4

I never noticed after watching it literally hundreds of times.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 12, 2014 7:46 pm  #5

Ooooo I think I have a new reason for watching!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'i'm in shock, I've got a blanket'

May 12, 2014 9:32 pm  #6

I did some research and apparently he wears jeans in TGG, too, but I can't find the scene.

Don't know why dark, pressed jeans shock me so much from the guy who hangs around at home in an inside out tee-shirt and who likes to be extremely comfortable in much too big grimy sweats when he's high.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

March 7, 2016 12:49 pm  #7

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 7, 2016 1:12 pm  #8

Good heavens, this is making me inexplicably … excited. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 7, 2016 1:22 pm  #9

Breathe, gently, breathe...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

March 7, 2016 1:26 pm  #10

maryagrawatson wrote:

I did some research and apparently he wears jeans in TGG, too, but I can't find the scene.

He's in jeans from when he goes into the morgue to look at Connie Prince's body, and they can be seen again when he's in 221B with Lestrade and Mrs H while talking on the phone to the Home Secretary.

Presumably he's also still wearing them when he goes to join John at Kenny Prince's house but there aren't any clear shots of his legs during those scenes. (damn)

March 7, 2016 1:58 pm  #11

I always noticed he was wearing jeans but that's only because I spend way too much time staring at him below the waist.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 7, 2016 5:30 pm  #12

maryagrawatson wrote:

(an underrated episode, in my opinion)

I very much agree :-)

Didn't notice the jeans. Wow. Need to rewatch asap 

"It is what it is."

March 7, 2016 6:06 pm  #13

In the name of science and aesthetics:

http://gosherlocked.tumblr.com/post/140558977696/ladyavenal-sherlockspeare-that-small

Last edited by SusiGo (March 7, 2016 6:06 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 7, 2016 7:50 pm  #14

The jeans were a revelation to me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 8, 2016 12:00 am  #15

Okay, for science I watched TGG again, paying particular attention to the scenes Ariane mentioned. Sherlock has a lovely... anyway. He does appear to be wearing jeans on the day he receives the Connie Prince puzzle from Moriarty. I submit the evidence:

It's a bit hard to see, and in some scenes you hardly get a glimpse of his luscious erm... legs, but he's definitely not wearing suit trousers to match the jacket he has on that day. They appear to be well-fitted and ironed jeans. So there you go! As ever, there is always more to learn about Sherlock, and it's always worth another rewatch

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 8, 2016 12:20 am  #16

I remember seeing gifs from that episode pointing it out and I hadn't noticed that before either.  There's one where he's on the ground and you can see the brown tag (that square thing that a lot of jeans have...I don't know whether that's actually what it's called).

Last edited by Yitzock (March 8, 2016 12:23 am)

Clueing for looks.

March 8, 2016 12:52 am  #17

Do you mean in TBB? I don't recall him being on the ground in any of the TGG scenes I watched today.

I know what you mean about the brown tag – that leather brand label thingy on the waistband

March 8, 2016 12:58 am  #18

Yes, that's what I meant.  Sorry, I got mixed up and had forgotten that you were talking about The Great Game since the thread is in the Blind Banker section.

Clueing for looks.

March 8, 2016 1:36 am  #19

Yeah, I was thinking the TGG screencaps didn't really belong here, but this is a thread about Sherlock wearing jeans, so this is where I put them. Sorry for the confusion. The gifs you mention are further up at post #7

Last edited by ukaunz (March 8, 2016 4:00 am)

March 8, 2016 6:01 am  #20

Those gifs in post #7 should be illegal... bloody hell...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

Board footera