BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 29, 2016 8:30 pm  #701

Re: Recently watched movies.

SolarSystem wrote:

I had that experience with "Birdman" last year. The camera work was astounding, but I constantly was under the impression that this was pretty much everything there was to the film. Yes, Michael Keaton and Edward Norton were really good, but the film itself just bored me to death. Interestingly enough, both "Birdman" and "The Revenant" are directed by Alejandro González Iñárritu, and I loved "The Revenant".

For me it was the exact opposite. I really enjoyed Birdman, but The Revenant bored me. 

SolarSystem wrote:

Last weekend we watched "The Martian" on DVD and well, that's a film you should definitely see on a big screen. Visually it was perfect. And altogether I thought it was a very good movie, although I missed a bit more psychology. There were short moments which dealt with the psychology of Matt Damon's character, but it just wasn't enough. Most of the time he didn't really seem to care that he was basically lost and all alone on a planet far, far away from Earth. And even when he finally was in contact with NASA again, it all felt a bit too much like a happy-go-lucky space walk.
But apart from that I would definitely recommend the film. Oh, and Jonathan Aris has a tiny role, too!

Yeah, more or less my thoughts on that movie as well. And I also noticed Jonathan Aris! (Also, a Norwegian actor well known in Norway has not-too-small role in the movie - he is part of the original crew).

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 29, 2016 8:57 pm  #702

Birdman and The Martian, two more I want to see.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 1, 2016 4:43 pm  #703

We LOVED Birdman when we saw it last year but I can see how it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea as it is quite surreal at times. I wanted to see The Martian at the movies but missed it- I have read the book and thought it was marvellous.

I watched Slow West on Netflix (UK) yesterday- Michael Fassbender in a Western, riding a horse...I liked this film which did well at various international film festivals. The basic story is not complex but it was enjoyable, if rather sad also.

In celebration of 30 years (yes really) since its release, I also watched Pretty in Pink...sigh...tempus fugit!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 1, 2016 7:21 pm  #704

Birdman totally engrossed me - I even did a paper on it - but it's different so I understand not everyone would feel the same.

There are some films my professor recommends or has us watch that do nothing for me.

Citizen Kane unfortunately was one of them. Sorry fellow film buffs!

I have not seen Pretty in Pink. That's a John Hughes film, right? With Molly Ringwald?

Last edited by Yitzock (March 1, 2016 7:23 pm)

Clueing for looks.

March 2, 2016 8:11 am  #705

Davina wrote:

I watched Slow West on Netflix (UK) yesterday- Michael Fassbender in a Western, riding a horse...I liked this film which did well at various international film festivals. The basic story is not complex but it was enjoyable, if rather sad also.

My boyfriend bought it on DVD and has already watched it without me. Well. I'm usually not a huge fan of the Western genre - at least when we're talking about what I would call the 'classic Western'.
But this is one I definitely want to see, also because I'm hoping it brings more to the genre than just the stuff I usually find a bit boring. "The Revenant" did that for me, but there are other Westerns as well... "Dances with Wolves" obviously, but also "Open Range" (also starring Kevin Costner) or the Coen's "True Grit".

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

March 2, 2016 8:22 am  #706

Yes, it is a John Hughes film. Lots of really great music tracks, some of which were made specifically for the film, and of all the films made at that time of this genre it really is the best. Molly Ringwald, Jon Cryer (2 1/2 Men, who puts in an amazing performance),  Andrew McCarthy, Harry Dean Stanton, Annie Potts and my eternal crush, James Spader, who is a bit of a bad boy in this.

Slow West has a different viewpoint from a classic Western. It plays with the concept of who is good and who is bad. Bad things happen to good people. People who may appear to be bad, are not. The lines are blurred. Watch out for the washing line...

Last edited by Davina (March 2, 2016 8:24 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 2, 2016 8:33 am  #707

Davina wrote:

Slow West has a different viewpoint from a classic Western. It plays with the concept of who is good and who is bad. Bad things happen to good people. People who may appear to be bad, are not. The lines are blurred. Watch out for the washing line...

Okay, I think we will have to watch this the upcoming weekend... 

I did like "Pretty in Pink" by the way, but I always liked "The Breakfast Club" much, much better. 

And Yitzock, about "Citizen Kane": Don't worry, this has always been a movie of which I appreciated what it has done for film arts in general, but when it comes to my personal taste I've never been a fan of it. There are other films which are considered to be classic movies in film history but which do nothing for me... "Gone with the Wind" and, yes indeed, "Casablanca" are just two of them. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

March 2, 2016 4:52 pm  #708

I've only ever seen the beginning and the end of Gone with the Wind...I love the book.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 5, 2016 12:30 am  #709

Ooo...  all your talk about The Revenant and Birdman, two of those buzzed-about 'artistic' films I'm still really curious of!  Heard so much about (and intrigued by 'Room' as well, for those intense character-focused-films), but haven't seen any of those yet.  Kinda still catching up on some 'older' new releases!
And despite having not seen yet, I get what you mean about being entranced or bored by that exact artistry, depending on the plot, despite the high production quality!  I was the same way with finally getting around to 'The Grand Budapest Hotel', another one I thought I 'should' see and sounded so sweet, amazing cast, and not a big Wes Anderson person, although know his stuff is 'artsy'.  And.. well... strangely artsy it certainly was.  It was charming enough, but those kinds of style of film can be a hit or miss with me... I don't know.  Don't think it was the plot... production was good, just was very... 'oddball'.  Wow... I'm so eloquent with pinpointing what makes a film work for.   

Speaking of artistic films like that, and 'classics' we feel we should have seen, when my friend and I who are going through a phase of sci-fi/futuristic films watched 'The Martian' (love it, as far as 'realistic' ones go), we talked about the genre and how older classics viewed things, and he was surprised I never saw 2001: A Space Odyssey.  So, figured should remedy that, to know this film that left such a mark on the genre and heard so much about.  And... wow...  that one is very out there!  I felt kind of how like Solar put it up there - a 'classic' that was good to see to understand it's mark in film arts, but personally found it very strange.  Interesting glimpse of the genre and it's time, especially the futuristic theme we still play with of sentient technology (and what an impact HAL-9000 made on pop culture).  Very interesting.  Just so... trippy... and kind of a weird, typical artistically-vague plot, no?   

Speaking of a film about our more modern relationship to technology and each other, any of you seen 'Her', yet?  I wasn't sure about it (sounded strange, and kinda sad), but after 2001, we decided it would be a good follow-up, curious what kinds of perceptions and explorations of the 'we're obsessed with our tech/relationships' it would present.  And... well... it's a very interesting look at where we might go in society, being more detached and/or obsessed with our fellow humans and tech, but... really really weird and surprisingly explicit!  I had no idea where they were going to take the idea of 'guy literally falls in love with his OS' thing, but didn't expect that.  Joaquim Phoenix was good.  Idea was interesting, if not a little thrown off by the weirder stuff at times.  Pushes the huge metaphor of our own relationships and what's important though, and at least it leaves you with a sense that we need to not forget the real people in our lives.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

March 5, 2016 4:16 am  #710

besleybean wrote:

I've only ever seen the beginning and the end of Gone with the Wind...I love the book.

I thought the book was great and the movie OK...but there's so much more to the story than the romance so many people think of when they think of the film. I don't consider it a romance, but rather the journey of a strong woman who learns how to face every challenge life throws at her (she goes through a lot).

And Casablanca... I have twice tried to watch it on TV. and couldn't get into it.

Clueing for looks.

March 5, 2016 7:32 am  #711

Yeah, Casablanca is one of those that I'm not sure if I've seen it right though or not!
I apologise to all of my American cousins, but it's through Gone with the Wind that I have most of my history of the Civil War!

March 5, 2016 10:11 pm  #712

Such an interesting post, Russell...!
I agree with you both on "The Grand Budapest Hotel " and "2001". I like Wes Anderson's movies, I like how crazy and silly and absurd they are.... but there are films I like better than TGBH, for example "Moonrise Kingdom". I can't even really say why that is, maybe it's the story, I'm not really sure, because visually they are both excellent... and well, TGBH might even have more to offer when it comes to the visual aspect. But well, I suppose that's just not all... in the end it all comes down to the story.
That might also be the reason why there are films by Stanley Kubrick that I like much better than "2001". Just like you said, Russell, everyone who is only slightly interested in film arts and film history should see "2001"... I was even lucky enough to see it on the big screen eventually. But just like with "Full Metal Jacket" I always have the feeling that I'm not watching one movie but two movies. Both of those films have a pretty explicit cut at one point, and afterwards it all feels so different that everytime I'm totally distracted all over again. I just can't get used to it, the narrative 'flow' feels disrupted to me. (I also think that my favourite movie by Kubrick, "Dr. Strangelove...", generally is highly underrated.)

Oh, and I have seen "Her" and I liked the film very much. Just like you, Russell, I had no idea what to expect and how this would work, but it did beautifully.
And since we're kind of talking about Science Fiction: Has anyone seen "Moon" with Sam Rockwell and Kevin Spacey? If not, do so. Immediately. This film tackles the question of who we are and what makes us unique in such an original and also moving manner... and at the same time it's classic Science Fiction in the very best sense of the word. One of the best films I've seen in recent years.

March 5, 2016 10:26 pm  #713

I've wanted to watch Moon for a while. I remember my grade 11 Physics teacher liked it, and then a while ago I noticed it was on Netflix. On your recommendation I may try to watch it sooner.

I was amazed by how moved I was by Her, but it actually made me cry, and I liked the visual look of it and the soundtrack (Canadian composers, one of which came to our school for a talk and a concert). The movie makes you rethink what we consider real or not.

Last edited by Yitzock (March 5, 2016 10:26 pm)

Clueing for looks.

March 6, 2016 7:55 pm  #714

DEADPOOL! I finally got to watch DEADPOOL and it was GREAT! Rude, irreverent, anti-superhero superhero movie. Funny funny. Touching. Amazing astounding stunt work and SFX but none of these overshadowed the performances. We all enjoyed it. A lot! (It should win awards for the funniest opening credits in the history of cinema!).

March 7, 2016 9:28 am  #715

Watched "Hail Caesar!" on Saturday. This film was so silly... and that made it really good. A persiflage on Hollywood of the 50's, really funny.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

March 8, 2016 6:42 am  #716

Hey, thanks for the nice reply!  With those movies being interesting/strange, yes exactly.  But with Grand Budapest Hotel, I'm not sure if I was laughing at the charming craziness of it while still shaking my head 'what the heck?' because I liked it or not or it was just too oddball for my taste.  Or what I consider 'too oddball'.  Because 2001, now…..  oi…..  that was just strange.  Pulled you in several directions, like said!  And even getting used to the flow/story, you're left with 'what the heck happened?'  But still glad I saw!  A pertinent film of the 'classic sci-fi' genre, after all, that one 'should' see.  And seeing the infamous HAL stuff for myself, talking about one of those deeply embedded sci-fi storytelling tropes humans are so fascinated with (aside from alien life) that even leaks into pop culture. 
Oh!  Oh, speaking of which, yes, I loved 'Moon'!  I saw that long long before 2001, and even I recognized some of the 'classic sci-fi' similar elements, and enjoyed how they had it all unfold with the similar mysterious computer A.I. and plot, leading to the twist.  Great actor.  Also recommend, going along with seeing how different films play out those ideas.

But then there's….  'Her'.  Still not sure whether I'm more touched or find weird how they decided to play with the man/computer thing (even with agreeing how modernly relevant it is).  Wow, Yitzock, you cried?  That's sweet…. not sure I was that moved, but definitely touched at parts, even if also 'what in the heck' several times at it.  Maybe despite agreeing with our attachment to technology (internet geek who originally started making friends in chat rooms), I struggle a bit with the 'real' part of it, that was the 'point', like you said?  You strip a relationship down to loving someone essentially for their mind and personality (which should be a big part of it, and quite noble!), but….. but you can never hug them?  Or take pictures with them?  Or go out to dinner quite the same way?  It's still 'real'?    And you'll still never quite ever be on the same 'level'.   

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

March 8, 2016 2:07 pm  #717

Perhaps, Russell, but I think the point was to make us first those things and I think it succeeded. What conditions can we really put that dictate what feelings we experience are real or not? They are all real.

Clueing for looks.

March 8, 2016 6:33 pm  #718

Yitzock wrote:

Perhaps, Russell, but I think the point was to make us first those things and I think it succeeded. What conditions can we really put that dictate what feelings we experience are real or not? They are all real.

Well, yes, hence a bit of disclaimer being an internet geek who latched on in the beginning to the chat room scene that was both fun and a sense of connection to so many people like me.  And I did care about the friends I made, but had never met!  And yes, it did make it's point with what's 'real' to me (and did a good job), but part of my mind still argues that Samantha would still never quite be at the same 'level' as him (as was proven), and hard to substitute actual human contact.  Was still interesting, though.

March 8, 2016 6:53 pm  #719

I saw 2001 in the cinema as a teenager many years ago, and absolutely loved it.  It felt like an experience rather than just watching a film.   I tried to watch it on the small screen with my boyfriend (several years younger and hadn't seen it before) more recently, and he didn't get past the first 20 minutes - couldn't get into it at all, and I decided that perhaps it doesn't "work" as well in the modern day and on the small screen, and maybe holding on to the memory was better than rewatching it.  (I think I'd jump at the chance of seeing it on the big screen again, though!). 

I saw Moon on the big screen too, and loved it, and recommend it to everyone!  "Her" sounds interesting. 

March 8, 2016 7:23 pm  #720

I have yet to see 2001 all the way through - tried watching it on TV once and it didn't work for me.  In Toronto the cinema where they hold the Toronto International Film Festival shows films year round, and they've shown 2001 there a few times but I have not yet managed to go, but since the film's anniversary is coming up they're likely to do more showings soon.  I have a feeling I'd have to see it that way.

Clueing for looks.

Board footera