BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 26, 2016 5:18 pm  #681

Re: Recently watched movies.

Liberty wrote:

Labyrinth is good fun, Russel!  I'm old enough to have been too old to see it as a child, but I loved it as an adult, and yes, David Bowie had a different appeal .  Have you seen The Man Who Fell to Earth?  Bowie is just beautiful in that one.  It's years since I've seen it, and this might be a good time to rewatch. 

Yes!  I'm a little on the 'younger' side to have known his crazy early films back then, having come along first to Labyrinth, like I said, then only a little exposure here and there, hearing about him but not really latching onto (then running into again years later, with 'The Prestige').  But heard a lot about those earlier films and those personas of his… I really should sit down and watch that one.  And 'The Revenant'.  So much buzz about that.  And so much else on my list…..   ;P

I saw it when it was in the theater, since it grabbed enough curious excitement for me to want to catch it then, but our last weekly movie night, I introduced my friend to 'The Martian'.  Man, does that film hold up to a second viewing… I just love the combination of realistic sci-fi, tense adventure, heart, and humor!  I love that movie…  and noticed Jonathan Aris better this time around!   

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

January 28, 2016 11:26 am  #682

I've read The Martian and really wanted to catch it at the movies but somehow missed it. So looking forward to seeing it.

For The Revenant definitely definitely watch it in the big screen. (I can see how someone might not like it...the violence is visceral, some of the scenes are extended well beyond the normal comfort zone (e.g. bear scene) in this respect it reminded me a little of Steve McQueen's work, the director not the actor), many aspects are shocking and takes no prisoners from the audience (irony fully intended), it pulls no punches regarding the treatment and attitudes towards Native peoples and the sheer brutality of the conditions and the people may be hard for some watching. I thought it was bloody marvellous!

Aspects I didn't mention previously were the costuming and sets. Once again I thought these were of the highest calibre. The makeup and SFX were astonishing. The leap on the horse was stomach churning.

Trivia for today: Leonardo's make up took 5 hours to apply each day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 8, 2016 8:59 pm  #683

I just got back home from The Danish Girl...

And I haven't cried like his to a film since The Imitation Game.

It was so poetic and beautiful too. It was like a painting, and she was so beautiful. And yet they showed the suffering...

Redmayne is an amazing actor. He really helped bring her back to life.

From an LGBT point of view it was amazing to see a transgendered character treated  with respect.

(Though I could have kicked the homophobic couple sitting near me. They intended to laugh out loud at any thing that was out of the hetero-norm... They were apparently there because they had lived in Vejle and wanted to see that part of the film... *rolls eyes*)

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (February 8, 2016 9:00 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 8, 2016 11:56 pm  #684

Sorry to hear there was someone there with a closed mind, but I'm glad that that didn't keep you from appreciating the film.

I also thought the beautiful framing like a painting was great, and that they handled the story in a respectful way.  Even though the suffering, as you have referred to, is shown, I don't think it is a film that is a downer, I still think it finds the rays of hope and the moments of happiness and doesn't let the difficult times that Lili faced turn the happier times absurd.  Which I think is important, too.  But there were so many things that, even if they may not may not have happened exactly as they did in real life for Lili, are very real to the experience of trans people and loved ones (speaking of loved ones, wasn't Alicia Vikander great as Gerda? It was just as much about her, she carried the film just as well as Eddie did as Lili).

Just a side note: generally speaking, "transgendered" is considered incorrect.

Clueing for looks.

February 9, 2016 12:35 am  #685

sorry, it's a 'problem' of mine... I often use the wrong terms... me of all people. My first (though unrequited) love was a very young man transitioning from female to male, and he used to use that term about himself... though I always just considered him male... I didn't consider him trans (though I was very aware that it was a big issue for him and I often helped him through rough nights... even when his girlfriend complained that he wasn't 'done' yet...). I think it's part of my sexuality... (pansexual) I am in a way genderblind. I don't love a person for what they 'have', but for who they are. 

You're so right about the rays of hope it gave, just like Lili's written memories, it's a story of hope... I especially loved the very last scene. She was truly free. 

Alicia Vikander was amazing! She played her character so well, and their chemistry was so beautiful, both when they were a loving couple and as things went downhill... amazing performances! 

Also a side note from a Dane... I was amazed how well they spoke the Danish names. It wasn't totally correct, but it was quite impressive! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 9, 2016 1:56 am  #686

Yeah, there are trans people who have used it - just generally people considered it incorrect.  People liken it to calling someone "Indianed" or "Japanesed" or something like that - as if something happened.  Minor point, just letting you know.

Yes, that ending - that last line stayed with me for a long time after watching the movie.

Also, I'm glad to hear your approval on the Danish names! I hadn't known how to pronounce them (I thought Wegener would have been pronounced 'Weg-en-er" like it's written, but in the movie they say it like "Vay-ner" or something like that), so it's good to know that they didn't grossly mispronounce them.

Clueing for looks.

February 9, 2016 8:03 am  #687

Thank you for pointing it out, I never want to hurt someone unintentionally. 

After the ending my friend and I were in tears... and I felt a need to brush my hand over the poster outside and whisper "Good night, Lili". 
I knew how it ended, of course... but towards the end of the film I suddenly 'forgot' and panicked it wouldn't end the way I wanted it to... 

The names were closer than what I've heard before from foreign people trying to speak Danish, especially using it while speaking English. 
The city where the fjord from the paintings, Vejle... in the film they speak it "Veiloeh" or something... while it's more like "Veileh" (I suck at writing out pronunciation, sorry). But I was impressed. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

February 22, 2016 11:34 pm  #688

With rewatched a film that I have not seen for many a long year: Sex, Lies and Videotape. I had forgotten just how groundbreaking and moving this Indy film was. Great performances, great direction and subject matter that makes you think...it is the new sexy!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 27, 2016 7:54 pm  #689

I wanted to watch a simple comedy tonight and my friend randomly dropped three films on my table.
I chose The Decoy Bride... being flabbergasted when first the story was set in my beloved Scotland, and then suddenly David Tennant appeared! I had no idea, but apparently choosing random films isn't all bad  Then I wondered for half of the film who the woman reminded me of, until I finally realised that it was Alice Eve from Star Trek. I was laughing. The film itself was not the best really, but the scenery and Tennant made it worthwhile 

"It is what it is."

February 27, 2016 8:30 pm  #690

I have never heard of that film, but the title of it is intriguing. And David Tennant is good, so I am sure that would help.

Clueing for looks.

February 27, 2016 8:32 pm  #691

Yes similarly I can't say I was mad on lovely Michael Fassbender's Macbeth,,,
But it's a wonderful view of Scotland.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 27, 2016 9:54 pm  #692

Yitzock wrote:

I have never heard of that film, but the title of it is intriguing. And David Tennant is good, so I am sure that would help.

Uhm, yes. It does help.
Seriously, it's a pretty harmless comedy, but there are some very sweet moments in it. My favourite moment would be when David Tennant and Kelly MacDonald take their wet clothes off in the kitchen... so sweet and endearing.

And, well...

Last edited by SolarSystem (February 27, 2016 9:57 pm)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 27, 2016 9:56 pm  #693

Oh those trousers!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 27, 2016 9:58 pm  #694

It's not just the trousers...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

February 27, 2016 9:59 pm  #695

Ha...I can imagine!

February 27, 2016 10:09 pm  #696

That's quite an outfit!

Clueing for looks.

February 29, 2016 11:11 am  #697

Hubbie and I watched The Revenant last night. The cinematography was astounding, so many beautiful shots! The acting was superb, I am so glad Leo finally got his very well-deserved Oscar and Tom Hardy impressed me again. (And I'm developing a rather weak spot for Gleeson as well).

Having all that said, I also found the movie quite boring, to be honest. Too monotone and repetitive, with the hardships becoming so over the top and repetitive that I was left feeling more "Not again!" than any kind of horror or caring for the characters.

For me, the movie was a good example of how the craftmanship (directing, cinematography, acting...) can be superb and impressive, yet those elements still doesn't guarantee a movie that you care about.

My favorite of the Oscar movies was Brooklyn. I loved the story, the characters, the setting, the acting... amazing all around. Room was also a good second for me, original story for a movie. At least I haven't seen it done like that before.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 29, 2016 1:47 pm  #698

I have had that experience with movies before, well shot but still aggravating and boring. I haven't seen The Revenant, though, so I don't know how I will respond to it if I ever see it.

I wish I had seen Brooklyn.
I did love Room, and I don't know if any of you are aware but it was a hit book here in Canada way before the movie, so more wins for it would have been nice.

Clueing for looks.

February 29, 2016 5:06 pm  #699

I would like to see both Brooklyn and The Revenant.

February 29, 2016 8:02 pm  #700

Yitzock wrote:

I have had that experience with movies before, well shot but still aggravating and boring. I haven't seen The Revenant, though, so I don't know how I will respond to it if I ever see it.

I had that experience with "Birdman" last year. The camera work was astounding, but I constantly was under the impression that this was pretty much everything there was to the film. Yes, Michael Keaton and Edward Norton were really good, but the film itself just bored me to death. Interestingly enough, both "Birdman" and "The Revenant" are directed by Alejandro González Iñárritu, and I loved "The Revenant".

Last weekend we watched "The Martian" on DVD and well, that's a film you should definitely see on a big screen. Visually it was perfect. And altogether I thought it was a very good movie, although I missed a bit more psychology. There were short moments which dealt with the psychology of Matt Damon's character, but it just wasn't enough. Most of the time he didn't really seem to care that he was basically lost and all alone on a planet far, far away from Earth. And even when he finally was in contact with NASA again, it all felt a bit too much like a happy-go-lucky space walk.
But apart from that I would definitely recommend the film. Oh, and Jonathan Aris has a tiny role, too!

Board footera