BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 22, 2016 5:27 pm  #1

The night manager.

This series began at 9 PM on BBC 1 last night.
Anybody see it?
It stars Tom Hiddleston and Hugh Laurie.
They are supported by Tom Hollander and Russell Tovey.
It was excellent and I really enjoyed it.
It is based on the John le Carre novel of the same name...
This is the only way I have experienced John le Carre to date: by film and TV!

Last edited by besleybean (February 22, 2016 5:34 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 22, 2016 5:59 pm  #2

Re: The night manager.

I watched the first 10 minutes, was too tired to watch the whole thing.  I'll watch it online next weekend. 

Tom looked very very good.  Fans want him to be the next Bond now.

Was it just a 90 minutes film or will there be more parts? Because I remember when they announced the filming last year I read it'll be a mini series.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

February 22, 2016 6:05 pm  #3

It is a mini series. You can already pre-order it on DVD or BluRay. There it says that it has a total running time of 344 minutes. It also says "Season 1", so I would assume that a second season will follow eventually...
I haven't watched the first episode and I will probably wait for the DVD and then watch it together with my boyfriend. We both love TTSS and we're hoping that TNM will be equally good.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 22, 2016 7:41 pm  #4

So far I think it's better.
Tom would be a fab Bond.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 22, 2016 11:19 pm  #5

Have it 'recorded' and am going to watch it tomorrow. Anticipating and hoping for something rather special.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 23, 2016 6:51 am  #6

I don't think you'll be disappointed.
I thought TTSP was a wonderful set, time piece.
But this is so modern and feels more relevant.
I am so far finding the plot much easier to follow!

February 23, 2016 8:16 am  #7

Davina wrote:

Have it 'recorded' and am going to watch it tomorrow. Anticipating and hoping for something rather special.

Same with me. I'm really curious about it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

February 23, 2016 10:47 am  #8

besleybean wrote:

I am so far finding the plot much easier to follow!

I'm actually hoping it won't be too easy to follow. That's what I like (among other things) so much about TTSS, that it's not told in such a straightforward way and expects the audience to follow really closely. There is still something to discover when you watch it for the second or third or fourth time.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 23, 2016 4:55 pm  #9

I just think it's with us having lived through the Arab Spring.
Possibly I'm just thick...
I hadn't a clue with TTSP...
I just enjoyed the pretty!

February 27, 2016 7:02 pm  #10

I watched the first episode and aside from the obvious 'pretty' I was very impressed. Recently, with only a couple of notable exceptions, I have been very disappointed by the offerings coming out of the BBC and other UK channels. This did not disappoint. Everything about it was sheer class, most notably the writing and the acting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 27, 2016 7:29 pm  #11

I watched the first episode and liked it very much. Acting, writing, cinematography, all excellent. I am looking forward to what is going to happen between Jonathan and Roper. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 28, 2016 8:11 pm  #12

Before the series started last week I was looking everywhere for a episode overview, like how many episodes and when. Usually the wikipedia site has that kind of information. Therefore I asked here if it's a film or more episodes because I've read brfore it'll a miniseries.
It says on the wiki site that it is one series with six episodes, that's the information I was looking for, I should have looked more precisely.

And the second episode will be on tonight. So it's on Sunday for the next four weeks.

Last edited by Ivy (February 28, 2016 8:12 pm)

----------

February 28, 2016 8:12 pm  #13

I'm just watching Winston, until Tom comes on!

February 28, 2016 9:12 pm  #14

oh "Major Sholto" almost didn't recognise him without the uniform.

----------

February 29, 2016 6:31 am  #15

I didn't...who was he?!

February 29, 2016 7:54 am  #16

I also needed Susi to give me a clue that "Sholto" is there.
He's part of Roper's entourage.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

February 29, 2016 5:00 pm  #17

Apart from that...the violence!

March 1, 2016 4:34 pm  #18

The lady playing Sholto's wife was in Breathless with Jack Davenport and Iain Glen.

I really enjoyed the second episode and yes, the violence is definitely a strong feature. I love the way the story is moving on. The camerawork is excellent I thought, everything from the large landscapes, the colour palette and the hand-held stuff.

April 13, 2016 5:57 pm  #19

TimesTalks with Tom&Hugh

----------

April 14, 2016 6:54 pm  #20

Really good interview - thanks for posting!

Board footera