BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 26, 2016 12:01 am  #41

Re: Pronunciation of place names

Or the spelling is...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 26, 2016 6:38 am  #42

Wisbech is definitely Whizz- beach.
We've just started teaching some of our school kids a bit of Gaelic.
I studied it for a year and the spelling/pronunciations are just bizarre.
Oh Liberty will know this, but I should point out to others: the Irish is 'Gay lick'.
The Scottish version is 'Gal ick'.
It's the same with Welsh, which I used to speak quite well, in terms of spellings etc.
But the thing with that for me was, I had really good teachers.
Literally in the first Welsh lesson we were taught the alphabet.
So if you put any Welsh in front of me, I would be able to read it perfectly, because I know how to pronounce things.
Of course I wouldn't necessarily understand what I was reading.

Last edited by besleybean (February 26, 2016 6:39 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 26, 2016 9:01 am  #43

Ah yes good old Lemster!

How would you guys pronouncd Belbroughton? It's a village near where my parents live?

---------------
It's not really a ship, it's more like a life raft.

February 26, 2016 9:05 am  #44

besleybean wrote:

Wisbech is definitely Whizz- beach.
We've just started teaching some of our school kids a bit of Gaelic.
I studied it for a year and the spelling/pronunciations are just bizarre.
Oh Liberty will know this, but I should point out to others: the Irish is 'Gay lick'.
The Scottish version is 'Gal ick'.
It's the same with Welsh, which I used to speak quite well, in terms of spellings etc.
But the thing with that for me was, I had really good teachers.
Literally in the first Welsh lesson we were taught the alphabet.
So if you put any Welsh in front of me, I would be able to read it perfectly, because I know how to pronounce things.
Of course I wouldn't necessarily understand what I was reading.

See all this is completely my geek linguist coming out but there's a thing called Orthographic transparency where Graphemes=morphemes always!

Polish is like that and yes I read books to my little Polish friend all the time quite perfectly without having a clue what I'm reading.

---------------
It's not really a ship, it's more like a life raft.

February 26, 2016 9:06 pm  #45

I studied a year of Polish, but have forgotten most of it!
We have a few Polish kids in school.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 27, 2016 7:24 pm  #46

I love the weird spellings and pronunciation of British place names. They are often a key to the history of the place. Fairly near to us is a place called Tolleshunt Darcy...that's a corker.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 27, 2016 7:26 pm  #47

Certainly is.
I like Tunbridge Wells etc...

Board footera