BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 21, 2016 9:50 pm  #21

Re: The BBC Sherlock Family

besleybean wrote:

Well we all have our crosses to bear... if we don't believe in Johnlock, it's insinuated we are homophobes.

Not all of you, but they are certainly out there.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 22, 2016 6:39 am  #22

That's life, I get on with it, regardless.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 22, 2016 9:24 am  #23

Another con:

It is unfair to the actors who got into the show by the proper casting that they suddenly have to act with people who never got to be tested in this way and had their doors to the role open because they are friends/family....

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 22, 2016 9:48 am  #24

I will also chime in to say I don't have a problem with any of the casting myself, even if it's blatant nepotism. I think everyone cast, from major to minor roles, did a great job. They all pull their own weight and show that they have the skills, even if it was nepotism who got them the job.

I also think that networking and "who-you-know" is something that happens in just about every line of work, and it's very common in tv/movies in general. People know someone, worked with them once and liked them, and ask them if they want this and this part. No audition required. It happens all the time, it's part of how the job marked work in general.

I actually think it was clever to cast for instance BC's parents as Sherlock's parents and AA as John's wife All of them already have that relationship with their son/partner, they don't have to fake it or pretend (except for whatever goes on in the scenes, of course). But the relationship is already there, and you get a lot for free by doing that.

I personally think that shows in particular in the bedroom/bathroom scene between John and Mary in TEH. They feel so incredibly comfortable around each other, it just all flows naturally on it's own. For me, it makes the John/Mary-relationship even more believable.

I don't want to speculate whether or not casting like that makes their role bigger than was originally intended. I think Moftiss have their own plans for where this show is going, and I think they are strong enough to stand their ground and do what they want, regardless of how much/little screen time that will give nepotism-casted characters.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 22, 2016 10:53 am  #25

Vhanja wrote:

I actually think it was clever to cast for instance BC's parents as Sherlock's parents and AA as John's wife All of them already have that relationship with their son/partner, they don't have to fake it or pretend (except for whatever goes on in the scenes, of course). But the relationship is already there, and you get a lot for free by doing that.

Sorry, but that probably is the worst reason I can think of for giving a role to someone. We are talking about actors here. Castings are done so you can test chemistry, among lots of other things. Actors play scenes like the bathroom/bedroom scene you've mentioned all the time, and such scenes usually work because the casting people have cast the right actor/actress for the job. I'm sure there are lots of actors and actresses in the UK who would have been able to deliver a brilliant performance playing John's wife (or Sherlock's parents). Because it's their job, because it's what they've learned at drama school, because it's their talent, you name it.
To 'fake' and 'pretend' is basically the job description of an actor.

Last edited by SolarSystem (February 22, 2016 10:54 am)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 22, 2016 10:55 am  #26

Oh, absolutely. And I agree that you should never use that as the main reason for casting anyone. I just see it more as a bonus - you get something extra for free in those cases.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

February 22, 2016 11:49 am  #27

It might be a hindrance as well as a bonus.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 22, 2016 1:50 pm  #28

It can be, of course. I've never seen it as a hindrance in Sherlock, though.

Team Hudders!

February 22, 2016 4:44 pm  #29

Ok well none of us(as far as I am aware) are casting directors, certainly not for BBC Sherlock.
They have had their main cast in place for some years now. We either accept it or we don't, but it's not going to change.
I will repeat that I am happy with the entire cast, but even if it wasn't, I wouldn't actually see it as any of my business.
However, if anybody has any ideas for future stories/story lines and suggestions of castings for those characters...I would be delighted to hear them.
Further, if anybody wants to see the exit of any particular character and has an idea how might that happen...this too, I would be interested to hear about.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 23, 2016 10:29 am  #30

=besleybean........But musings on nepotism in actor selection, I'm honestly not really certain how useful I find that.  As ever, it's up to people to decide whether they continue to watch the show or not: I can only assume that at some time there is a critical mass point reached, where one dislikes more about it than they like. In which case, to borrow from Steven: maybe you've chosen the wrong show.

I don't think anyone here has mentioned about how they're contemplating not watching the show anymore because of any alleged nepotism. All of us here are rabid fans, else we wouldn't even be on this forum, much less so active on it.

My own feeling right now is that if that strange Abominable Bride thing didn't put me off permanently from Sherlock, spending time thinking about the Mary character and who plays her certainly wouldn't.  Just "where I'm at" at the moment.

I watch a lot of TV. A. Lot. Of. TV. Sherlock is on so rarely, it's hardly a blip in my overall watching history.  If I spend 1000 hours a year watching TV, Sherlock accounts for (in a good year, which only comes every 3 years or so) 4.5 hours of that.  So no, I'm not emotionally wounded by the creative decisions Mofftiss et al make. I do feel bad that what seems to matter most to them is alternately yanking our collective chains or collectively winding us up, just to see us hop and holler.  I suspect TPTB find the fan antics surrounding Sherlock quite amusing. Casting AA as Mary might very possibly figure in that, who knows. Again, my choice to stay or go. For now, I'm staying.

February 23, 2016 10:44 am  #31

nakahara wrote:

Some cons of nepotism:
- three authors, not two, worked at Sherlock at the beginning. But poor Thompson, although he wrote one of the most successful episode (TRF), was almost never featured in any promotional work nor interview and at the end he was discreetly sent away or left without even being mentioned. Because he is not "part of the family". It´s a pity and a bit ungrateful that TPTB mutely omitted him and took all the accolades themselves.

Yes, probably not the best thing for the show. Whatever reason(s) Thompson is no longer around, it would  have been a healthier, more vital, better series, with him included in the creative process.

- it´s all right when you promise your friends that you will feature them for a few minutes in your work. It becomes the problem when you do that in the series which has only three episodes every three years. Instead of plotting the brilliant action in an episode, you are suddenly forced to write lengthy scenes for the parents of one actor, the partner of the second actor, some unknown person who asked you to be cast as a villain of the piece, you also write long smug scene for yourself... and suddenly you are at the end of an episode and must help yourself with a bomb off-switch to give the episode some ending....

New material released only every 3 years, only 4.5 hours of running time in those years, and as you say, they've had to make room in that scant amount of time for the people they wanted to include. But they made that choice freely, and while in their right minds, lol. No one actually forced the alleged nepotism casting, but once they made that casting bed, then they had to lie in the mess they'd made, write the story around all of it.

- casting of a real life couple as a fictional couple in your series makes any discussion of the said fictional couple problematic. If one of the fictional spouses does the nasty thing (like shooting the main character dead), you can´t even point this out - because for some, suddenly it´s the real couple you are criticising...

And hence the box we've found ourselves currently living in . I wish I could open up a little trap door in their minds and step in and ask them, "What could you have been thinking?"

It's done now, no sense criticizing any of it. But I do have to wonder where in heck they'll be going now.

February 23, 2016 10:50 am  #32

nakahara wrote:

And yet it´s insinuated that people who criticise Mary subconsciously transfer their dislike of a character to a real life AA...

Which is total, absolute baloney.
AA had to close her Twitter account to the public a few months ago. She only posted some RL chat about her little dogs and a tiny bit here and there about Martin (only good, funny stuff), or what friends she met up with for lunch or accidentally ran into at some event or other. Totally harmless stuff. But she must have felt threatened by the crazy!fans, so now none of us who don't know her get to enjoy sharing a bit of her life with her. Makes me sad.
I have no trouble whatsoever separating actor from role.  But then, I'm not 14, so maybe that's why.

February 23, 2016 5:05 pm  #33

Well said, dear.

Board footera