BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 9, 2016 8:00 am  #1

fanfiction.net stories stolen - (spamdex mirror sites)

"Dear fanfiction writers,
Please be aware that there are fake websites which have mirrored literally ALL FANFICS from Fanfiction.net. As far as I can tell, they are near-perfect mirrors, updating in real-time to FFN’s servers."

I don't know if yours are affected, you might want to check.

Description and advice to be found here:
http://johix.tumblr.com/post/138952341850

Last edited by Harriet (February 9, 2016 5:57 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 9, 2016 8:22 am  #2

Re: fanfiction.net stories stolen - (spamdex mirror sites)

Oh thanks for that information, I don't write fanfiction, but I'll definitely reblog this on tumblr.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

February 9, 2016 8:24 am  #3

I have read only on tumblr about it, so if fanfiction.net writers can confirm the thing here, that would be helpful, too 

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 9, 2016 8:58 am  #4

Damnit. They stole mine!! 

Thank you for the headsup

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 9, 2016 11:59 am  #5

What profit can they have from such theft, I wonder?
It would never occur to me that somebody would be willing to steal whole fanfiction nets...

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 9, 2016 12:58 pm  #6

The sites has click adds... if you try to click something on the site to read the story you get an add pop up... which the thieves then get paid for... 

GRRR. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 9, 2016 1:23 pm  #7

I only use AO3. That method seems to be profitable.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

February 9, 2016 2:16 pm  #8

Yikes! Well, I think I might be never uploading anything to FF.net again...I've always liked it, and I'll probably still read stuff there, but I really don't want this to keep happening, because I looked up one of my old crossovers on one of those sites is there...I don't know whether I'll transfer the old ones to my AO3 or not since so far AO3 is only the Sherlock stuff I've written but....this is just not cool, but I never knew any of them existed, on the bright side, so I don't know how much traffic these even get.

Clueing for looks.

February 9, 2016 5:54 pm  #9

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

The sites has click adds... if you try to click something on the site to read the story you get an add pop up... which the thieves then get paid for... 

GRRR. 

That's the reason - and if a person is searching for a certain story via google, she/he may be misled to one of those pages since it will appear among the search results. So the story will be used as a bait 

February 9, 2016 8:31 pm  #10

There are rumours that also malware is spread via some mirror links.

February 9, 2016 8:42 pm  #11

That wouldn't surprise me at all.

Clueing for looks.

February 9, 2016 9:47 pm  #12

It sadly doesn't shock me either

Damn, this feels as bad as when I found out a former online 'friend' posted one of my stories online and claimed they were hers,almost 10 years ago... And despite me having concrete evidence she denied it... claiming she never said she wrote it... maybe, but she did say 'thank you so much' etc to every comment on my work. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

February 9, 2016 9:56 pm  #13

@PhantomLady: Oh wow that's plagiarism. I mean you don't make money from it but it's your work. That would make me so angry and it's your word against her's, other people might think you are the one who stole it. 

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

February 13, 2016 10:47 pm  #14

bump

Board footera