BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 8, 2016 1:05 pm  #1

Favourite scene(s)

I always wanted to ask, out of all episodes we have seen up to now,  what are your favourite ones?

Some category ideas:  funniest, most dramatic, most emotional, stangest, best acted, most satisfactory, sexiest, cutes and so on. So many to chose from I know, but which ones come to your mind first?

Regarding "best acted" I always have to think how incredible impressed I was about that scene (in HLV) in Baker Street when John found out who Mary really is and Sherlock explains "John" to John, it's was also so very moving.

SHERLOCK : You were a doctor who went to war.
SHERLOCK : You’re a man who couldn’t stay in the suburbs for more than a month without storming a crack den and beating up a junkie. Your best friend is a sociopath who solves crimes as an alternative to getting high.
SHERLOCK (louder, talking over her): John, you are addicted to a certain lifestyle. You’re abnormally attracted to dangerous situations and people ...so is it truly such a surprise that the woman you’ve fallen in love with conforms to that pattern?
JOHN : But she wasn’t supposed to be like that.
JOHN : Why is she like that?
SHERLOCK: Because you chose her.

"Most emotional" : the scene in "TRF" when John runs towards a supposedly badly injured/dead Sherlock on the pavement:
JOHN: I’m a doctor, let me come through. Let me come through, please.
JOHN: No, he’s my friend. He’s my friend. Please.
JOHN : Please, let me just ...
JOHN: Nggh, Jesus, no.
JOHN: God, no.

I cied so much, it was very hard to sleep after that. Martins voice was so incredible sad/moving/tragic in that scene. I later realised because of that voice the original version is more emotional than the German dubbed one.

Sexiest: whenever he does that thing with the collar of his Belstaff coat

Cutest: when John asked him to be his best man and Sherlocks reaction to it and the realisation "I'm your best...friend!?" made me squeal, Sherlock at his cutest.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

February 8, 2016 1:27 pm  #2

Re: Favourite scene(s)

Lovely thread!

Here are some of mine:

Best Acted:
The reunion scene in TEH in the first restaurant. Martin Freeman owns that entire scene, in my opinion. He goes through at least three different emotions without hardly even changing his facial expression: That scene is pure magic, acting-wise.

Most emotional:
John's reaction when he reaches Sherlock's body in TRF. I've experienced shocking grief myself, and his reaction is a thousand times more realistic than any tears. It's absolutely horryfing and gets me every time.

Sexiest:
I would say the scenes with Irene, as they are the only ones that are explicitly sexy. However, Sherlock is so sexy it's ridiculous in his PSoS. (Good no 2 is the "eye sex" in ASiP during the drugs bust. I swear, I feel like I'm watching something too intense and personal for me to be looking at when I see that scene. If Sherlock had looked at me like that, I would've been a puddle on the floor).

Cutest:
Best friend scene is a good no 2 for me. But the cutest for me is: "Why are you all doing that? Did I do something wrong? John?" and the hug. Omg, kills me every time. Oh, and a special mention needs to go to the coffee scene in HoB ("I don't take sugar"). Even though it's acted on Sherlock's part, that scene is so incredibly cute - from both of them!

Most satisfying:
Angelo's in ASiP. I absolutely love that dialogue.

Funniest:
Stag party. Omg, pure hilarious brilliance, from start to finish. 

Also, a bonus goes to:
The rooftop scene of TRF. To me, that is one of the best scenes in the entire series. The execution, the location, the narrative, the acting, the dialogue... absolutely amazing. 

Last edited by Vhanja (February 8, 2016 1:31 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 8, 2016 1:48 pm  #3

Vhanja wrote:

Best Acted:
The reunion scene in TEH in the first restaurant. Martin Freeman owns that entire scene, in my opinion. He goes through at least three different emotions without hardly even changing his facial expression: That scene is pure magic, acting-wise.

Cutest:
Best friend scene is a good no 2 for me. But the cutest for me is: "Why are you all doing that? Did I do something wrong? John?" and the hug. Omg, kills me every time. Oh, and a special mention needs to go to the coffee scene in HoB ("I don't take sugar"). Even though it's acted on Sherlock's part, that scene is so incredibly cute - from both of them!

@ reunion scene: oh yes top positions in the best acted/ most emotional categories

@cutest: I agree, I think it's a tie between that speech scene and the "best friend" scene, was very hard to decide.

@rooftop Moriarty/Sherlock scene: definitely one of the most brilliant acting scenes.
But when it comes to Andrew it's difficult to choose. When he comes around for tea is also a special moment.

-------------------------

most satisfying: I can't decide between when John beat that police boss in TRF and when John beat Sherlock in TEH

funniest: I agree, the stag do

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

February 9, 2016 8:32 pm  #4

Nice idea... we've bantered and analyzed the heck out of themes, arcs, characters, and moments in general, but there's so many good little 'bits' to enjoy just on their own!  Favorite little bits I often save the clips of, they're so good to watch again.  Thinking of just the ones that come to mind first in those categories, I'd say...

Best acted - Concur with you guys - when John finds out about Mary, the three of them back in the flat.  Also, pretty much everyone on the entire TRF rooftop scene.  Pretty much everything about that scene, like Vhanja said!
Additional soft spot goes to Martin's face during the reunion, everyone's expressiveness during the pool scene, Sherlock's various long deductions, and Moriarty in the padded Mind cell.

Best dramatic - I don't know... as far as being super dramatic and making you very uncertain where the suspense was going, I like when John first meets Mycroft?  And when the boys meet at the pool, then meet 'Richard Brook', and also confront CAM, had you on the edge of your seat, too!  Also when Sherlock rescues Mrs. Hudson (because protective/angry Sherlock just a bit unnerving, heartwarming, and tiny bit sexy) 

Cutest - Yep, definitely the "best friend"/making everyone cry with his speech part. 
The bits with Archie and when we meet his parents are freaking adorable, though.
And when Sherlock goes all 'cute nice', buzzing the girl in the apartment to let them in!

Funniest - Poor Greg chasing the criminal gang, and kicking the car tire.
    The Holmes brothers playing games and deducing the hat.
    Poor John utterly pleased with himself deducting Connie Prince's cat. 

Sexiest - It's funny, all the Irene scenes are great for being teasingly (or tensely) sexy, but I'll always love the kiss with Molly.   

Oi vey... sorry I couldn't keep it to just one each!    I find it interesting none come to mind that were from TAB, but I contribute that more to the older eps being more... engrained? settled? in mind, and not feel quite the same way with the new ep yet.  Do you guys feel the same?  Although thinking of it, it certainly has a couple bits that fit well in those categories...

The morgue scenes were definitely 'satisfying', canon/character story-wise.
Cutest - John being kicked in cab to not reveal Sherlock, and boys using sign language
Strangest - Moriarty as bride, and Mycroft (but also funny)
Best acted - The Holmes brothers on the plane
Best dramatic bit - when Moriarty comes to the flat

Fun thinking of those again... thanks!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

Board footera