BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 16, 2012 12:30 am  #1

Digital Spy Excerpt of Upcoming Reader's Digest Interview

According to this short article about an upcoming interview in the September issue of Reader's Digest, Benedict is again not holding back on his feelings about Downton Abbey.

Since I'm new on this board I wasn't around a few months ago when he last deigned to disparage poor DA (sarcasm...although I watch DA, I agree with Ben about Series 2), so I'm just wondering everyone's thoughts on this go-around.

I'm a little surprised he still pulls no punches when sharing his views after the last uproar regarding his comments on DA.  I like that he speaks his mind so freely, but you would have thought his "handlers" (what a nice job it would be to be a Ben handler  ) would have liked for him to have avoided saying things like:

Although Downton traded a lot on the sentiment in the last series... but we won't talk about that series because it was, in my opinion, fucking atrocious.

He's clearly been encouraged not to talk about it and then goes on to insult it!

I think it's funny, but I can see more backlash coming from this article much like the posh-bashing backlash he's gotten.  Thoughts?

Last edited by ElleSeven (August 16, 2012 12:31 am)

August 16, 2012 6:41 am  #2

Re: Digital Spy Excerpt of Upcoming Reader's Digest Interview

Well, this seems to be strong stuff. I haven't watched DA and can't comment on it, but I read "Parade's End" and if the film is half as brilliant and intellectual as the book it won't have to hide behind DA. I suppose this is all PR for the new film but he's really very open in his views. However, we'll have to see how the article reads in full but Ben seems to be quite outspoken at the moment  .

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 16, 2012 8:15 am  #3

It's hard to know what to say when I haven't read the actual RD article, perhaps his comments have been taken out of context, so I will reserve judgement until I can read the actual article. If he has been quoted correctly, I would have to agree with him (no, not just because I'm a fangirl). I quite enjoyed the first series of Downton Abbey but lost interest about half way through the second series. A lot of shows seem to use up their good ideas early on, then rely on their reputation for late series. Not Sherlock, though, she hastens to add.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

August 16, 2012 8:43 pm  #4

hepzibah wrote:

It's hard to know what to say when I haven't read the actual RD article, perhaps his comments have been taken out of context, so I will reserve judgement until I can read the actual article. If he has been quoted correctly, I would have to agree with him (no, not just because I'm a fangirl). I quite enjoyed the first series of Downton Abbey but lost interest about half way through the second series. A lot of shows seem to use up their good ideas early on, then rely on their reputation for late series. Not Sherlock, though, she hastens to add.

I agree any quote taken out of context can be hard to interpret.  But, I can totally see him saying that in one of his more outspoken moments!  The first time he was DA-bashing a few months ago, I thought he was just joking and ribbing them since they had won awards over Sherlock.  But, with his latest statements, they don't seem quite as jokey.

Like I said, I quite agree with Ben on series 2 of DA not being on par with the first one.  It's kind of funny though that he insults DA and his own father was on DA in last year's Christmas special and he knows quite a few of the actors on it!

I'm really anxious to see Parade's End next week!  I, too, read the books and can't wait to see what Tom Stoppard did with them (plus BC, of course).

August 16, 2012 9:30 pm  #5

For the sake of completeness - the Reader's Digest cover (I always thought RD somehow old-fashioned and stuffy, must have changed underway):

Last edited by SusiGo (August 16, 2012 10:07 pm)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 16, 2012 9:39 pm  #6

Oh, I know exactly what you mean:

I remember my dad kept them next to the toilet. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 16, 2012 10:04 pm  #7

Yeah, that's just the dull and boring layout I was thinking of. No BC on these covers 

August 16, 2012 10:30 pm  #8

I wonder why they chose that picture for the cover and not a more recent one?

The English major in me would like to read the "Why English spelling is so quirky" article...after I read the one about BC, naturally!   

Last edited by ElleSeven (August 16, 2012 10:47 pm)

Board footera