BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 3, 2016 8:26 am  #1

Ghost Stories

Martin Freeman, George MacKay to tell 'Ghost Stories' for Warp, Altitude
1 February, 2016 | By Andreas Wiseman

EXCLUSIVE: Warp Films and Altitude Film Sales team on Jeremy Dyson-Andy Nyman thriller.

Sherlock co-star Martin Freeman (The Hobbit franchise), George MacKay (Pride) and Andy Nyman (Death At A Funeral) are to star in a feature version of well-received supernatural stage production Ghost Stories, co-written and directed by Jeremy Dyson (The League of Gentlemen) and Nyman, who will reprise his role as professor Goodman.

Principal photography is due to get underway in September with Claire Jones (Sightseers) producing alongside Warp Films’ Robin Gutch (’71). Altitude Films has boarded sales on the thriller and will introduce buyers to the project at the EFM.

In Ghost Stories, Phillip Goodman, professor of psychology and arch-skeptic has his rationality tested to the hilt when he receives a letter apparently from beyond the grave.

His mentor Charles Cameron, the ‘original’ TV parapsychologist went missing fifteen years before, presumed dead and yet now he writes to Goodman saying that the pair must meet.

Cameron, it seems, is still very much alive. And he needs Goodman to find a rational explanation for three unsolved cases that have shaken Cameron to his core.

As Goodman investigates, he meets three haunted people, each with a tale more frightening, uncanny and inexplicable than the last. Gradually, Goodman unearths a hidden truth more terrifying still, that will pull his life apart.

The stage production of Ghost Stories, compared by critics to The Woman In Black for its scare factor, was a critical and commercial hit when it opened at the Liverpool Playhouse and Lyric Hammersmith before transferring to the West End’s Duke of York’s theatre and later playing in Toronto, Moscow, Sydney, Shanghai and Lima, Peru.

Dyson is best known as a member of sketch comedy team The League of Gentlemen along with Mark Gatiss, Steve Pemberton and Reece Shearsmith. He also co-wrote and directed Sky Arts hit series Psychobitches which won the 2015 Rose D’or for Best Comedy.

Nyman’s acting career has included roles in Kick Ass 2 and Severance and voice roles in Shaun The Sheep and Minions. He is a co-writer and director of magician and illusionist Derren Brown’s TV and stage shows including Russian Roulette, Séance, and Messiah.

Genre aficionado Mike Runagall, managing director of Altitude Film Sales, said: “Having been totally captivated by the original stage show’s devilish plot and unique thrills, we are beyond excited to team-up with the filmmakers to bring this unforgettable, haunting and one of a kind supernatural thriller to audiences worldwide.”

Freeman will next be seen in Marvel’s Captain America: Civil War and alongside Tina Fey in comedy Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

BAFTA Rising Star nominee and Screen Star of Tomorrow MacKay, who broke out in 2013 musical-comedy Sunshine On Leith, is currently filming anticipated Bad Robot-Hulu TV series 11.22.63.

http://www.screendaily.com/news/production/martin-freeman-george-mackay-to-tell-ghost-stories-for-warp-altitude/5099634.article

Last edited by ukaunz (February 3, 2016 8:27 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 3, 2016 7:08 pm  #2

Re: Ghost Stories

Oh that sounds good! So, a lot of new stuff with Martin to look forward to *bouncing happily*. 

By the way, I read that they'll starting shooting this movie in September. I am not sure what this could  mean for Martin's potential attendance at the Sherlocked convention 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

October 31, 2017 1:16 pm  #3

First posters from this project:

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 2, 2017 5:53 pm  #4

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 16, 2018 8:30 am  #5

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 16, 2018 11:42 am  #6

Looking interesting!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 16, 2018 5:18 pm  #7

What is it with the Sherlock team(who I love)...
I don't know:  I don't do horror, I don't do ghosts...
But obviously I will watch anything they are involved with.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 12, 2018 11:23 am  #8

New poster for Ghost Stories. Looks scary as hell!

March 12, 2018 5:22 pm  #9

I'm so there. 

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

March 12, 2018 5:29 pm  #10

Cool.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 12, 2018 6:09 pm  #11

I'm very interested in seeing this, but for some reason the new poster makes me think of a school art project!

March 13, 2018 5:10 pm  #12

I NEED an American release date for this!!!!!!!

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

March 26, 2018 12:45 pm  #13

If you are near italian Lucca at 9-th of April, good for you. Martin will promote Ghost Stories and he will attend awards there:

http://rominatrix.tumblr.com/post/171660178346/theres-finally-official-confirmation-martin

March 29, 2018 7:20 pm  #14

Promoting Ghost Stories on Magic FM:

March 30, 2018 6:27 am  #15

Not really my sort of thing...the trailer puts me off!

March 31, 2018 5:19 pm  #16

March 31, 2018 6:37 pm  #17

New interview, mentioning various things + Ghost Stories:

http://free-martinis.tumblr.com/post/172371266771/now-you-see-him-martin-freeman

April 20, 2018 10:06 am  #18

Another Ghost Stories promotion:

https://twitter.com/BUILDseriesNYC/status/987101113433325568

Last edited by nakahara (April 20, 2018 10:08 am)

April 20, 2018 10:27 am  #19

Some stills from that interview:

April 20, 2018 6:17 pm  #20

besleybean wrote:

What is it with the Sherlock team(who I love)...
I don't know:  I don't do horror, I don't do ghosts...
But obviously I will watch anything they are involved with.

Well I've seen the whole League of Gentlemen! And many odd films made by/with Mark, plus one of his appearances on NTLife. Started watching Dr. Who. And watched History of Horror (both versions) not being a horror fan. And watched all available Hamlets to prepare for Ben's one. And watched a Marvel movie - in an IMAX to avoid dubbing. Watched a musical with Lara Pulver on TV (I hate musicals!). Watched The Night Manager because of Alistair Petrie.

But thinking about it - I wouldn't do as much for Martin.

Board footera