BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 1, 2016 2:46 pm  #1

John's clothing style

This might be a cultural thing, but I feel that John dresses... a bit old. Checkered shirts, cardigans, vest... not to mention that long coat he wore in TEH (when visiting 221B again for the first time in two years). Most men I've seen that dresses like that aren't a day under 70.

But, as mentioned, could be a cultural thing. Perhaps it's a more usual style for men in their early 40s in England? Do you guys know? What do you think of John's clothing style?

I really like his black jacket with the leather pads, that is a really nice looking jacket. But I feel that mostly everything elses he wears seem... not cheap, but very traditional, old-fashioned - almost "boring". Like something you would find senior citizens in a brown pub wearing. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 1, 2016 3:03 pm  #2

Re: John's clothing style

My dad doesn't even dress like John Watson and he's 67 this year. I think it's just his style... maybe he dresses like his own dad... unconsciously? He certainly dresses like Sherlocks dad...

---------------
It's not really a ship, it's more like a life raft.

February 1, 2016 3:05 pm  #3

I think it's a telling bit of John's character.  His clothing is deceptively dull and contributes to the way people underestimate him.  Unlike Sherlock, I think John would rather avoid the spotlight and that also influences his style of dress.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 1, 2016 3:10 pm  #4

Yes it's ultra conservative and very boring... wallflower...

Last edited by Little Weed (February 1, 2016 3:11 pm)

---------------

February 1, 2016 3:19 pm  #5

Now Martin's style.................................that's a horse of a completely different color. 

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

February 1, 2016 3:20 pm  #6

I actually read a great thing in a fanfic that more or less became my head canon - that John deliberately dressed and acted in a way that made him seem boring and harmless, as that was a great way to hide the fact that he was nothing but. A disguise, really. Similar to what you mentioned, tonnaree.

I like that idea.

Last edited by Vhanja (February 1, 2016 3:21 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

February 1, 2016 4:31 pm  #7

I think it is... almost like a uniform... and the colours certainly are sandy like his uniform would have been...  camouflage.

---------------

February 1, 2016 9:37 pm  #8

Vhanja wrote:

I actually read a great thing in a fanfic that more or less became my head canon - that John deliberately dressed and acted in a way that made him seem boring and harmless, as that was a great way to hide the fact that he was nothing but. A disguise, really. Similar to what you mentioned, tonnaree.

I like that idea.

I've read that fic -and I, too, share that headcanon.
No wonder Sherlock's so intrigued by John. He knows that the art of disguise is hiding in plain sight, and what does he do here but that?
A disguise meant to fend off any boring person, I suppose? A disguise that Sherlock sees through, because he's not boring.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

February 1, 2016 10:37 pm  #9

tonnaree wrote:

I think it's a telling bit of John's character.  His clothing is deceptively dull and contributes to the way people underestimate him.  Unlike Sherlock, I think John would rather avoid the spotlight and that also influences his style of dress.

Maybe John is like... practical, more than deliberately dull?
At the beginning of the series, he lives only from his pension and the clothes he wears may be dictated more by necessity than his personal likes or dislikes... also, they are practical, working clothes. It´s easy to move in them, they are great to blend in when you are between people, they are nothing special and can be discarded if torn or damaged during an adventure... good for danger-addict. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 1, 2016 11:04 pm  #10

Interesting......Quite awhile back, when the series first started, I read an interview where the costumers said that they dressed John as "urban chic".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

February 1, 2016 11:17 pm  #11

Urban chic? Maybe... I mean I think it's definately a style but it's a bit reminiscent of those guys who dressed as grandad style in the 70's on purpose...

---------------

February 2, 2016 6:37 am  #12

I believe Martin feels John is quite stylish!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 2, 2016 7:39 am  #13

KeepersPrice wrote:

Interesting......Quite awhile back, when the series first started, I read an interview where the costumers said that they dressed John as "urban chic".

Bit of a hipster, yes...

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 2, 2016 8:04 am  #14

It has definitely been fashionable in recent years for young men to wear rather retro clothes - checked shirts, vests, cardigans, etc. 

February 2, 2016 9:34 am  #15

Lol, John the hipster? 

Team Hudders!

February 2, 2016 9:36 am  #16

Vhanja wrote:

Lol, John the hipster? 

Isn´t he one?

February 2, 2016 9:47 am  #17

Martin might be a bit hipster-y, but I never thought of John as one. 

Team Hudders!

February 2, 2016 2:11 pm  #18

Vhanja wrote:

Martin might be a bit hipster-y, but I never thought of John as one. 

Martin is absolutely NOT a hipster.  He's got real class. 

And thank god neither Martin nor John have one of those disgusting shabby Hipster beards.

Last edited by tonnaree (February 2, 2016 2:12 pm)

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

February 2, 2016 5:01 pm  #19

I second that emotion.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 18, 2021 7:33 am  #20

i really love the way he dresses i love nearly all the shirts he's wearing

Board footera