BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 31, 2016 3:17 pm  #61

Re: If we assume that Mary lives, how do you think S4 would play out?

Mary is shortsighted though... Sherlocks deduction showed this... And we know this doesn't mean eyesight as she's a sniper... So
I wouldn't have put it past her.

---------------
It's not really a ship, it's more like a life raft.

January 31, 2016 3:20 pm  #62

I have to say this is one of the things I am most looking forward to in S4.
Because more than anything else: it's the one thing we will get a definite answer on.
I mean it my still not tell us whose child it is, but at least we will finally know there is a child.
I still think there is.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 31, 2016 4:03 pm  #63

Yes, no child seems a bit of a cop-out in a way.   Mind you, they've already done the "... and it was a all a dream!"  cop-out, so who knows?

January 31, 2016 4:05 pm  #64

Do you mean as in TAB being a dream, or am I having one of my thick moments again?!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 31, 2016 4:58 pm  #65

Yes, I meant TAB, and I'm not being serious - I loved TAB!

January 31, 2016 5:00 pm  #66

Oh me too, honestly my favourite episode so far.

February 1, 2016 5:13 am  #67

melissak334 wrote:

You can't get rid of the baby and keep Mary, because then it would be more of a story circle than a story arc. John/Mary get married, John/Mary concieve baby, baby dies before birth, John/Mary return to previous state of affairs but with more angst.

To me, there is absolutely no need for a "story circle". Who says that " John/Mary return to previous state of affairs but with more angst"? Many parents who lose their only child cannot do that. Their marriage is far from being perfect or stable (they have been parted for months just recently). Losing the child might bring a very devastating story arc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

February 1, 2016 6:34 am  #68

Alternatively, it may bring them closer together.

May 1, 2016 8:30 pm  #69

I agree. And I think that Mary will become more like her Victorian counterpart - only joining here and there which may anger her after a while. 

Swanpride wrote:

I think we are getting off tangent here...the question is not if Mary should die or not, or how to get rid of her, but if she lives, how can we imagine the show dealing with it and the baby. Here are a couple of thoughts (I am working under the assumption that she and John are meant to be with each other):
I can actually see a lot of fun you can have with the baby without it coming off as a sitcom. I mean, can you imagine Sherlock commenting on what one should do with a baby? It could be hillarious.
Mrs. Watson would surely love to act as babysitter from time to time.
I would love some criminal attacking Mary and John, thinking that John is the dangerous one, only to be taken out by Mary...and then John having to explain that to the police.
I can also imagine that Mary and John would be very unconventional parents from time to time. I can totally see John lugging a baby around to a crime scene and Lestrate being all experated about it, while John says "Well, Mary is busy, and it is not like we are doing anything dangerous here."
If they need to get rid off Mary and the baby for a while, they could use the "Mary needs a cure/wants to visit Janine in Sussex and she took the baby with her, but John had to stay behind for work" explanation. Or the other way around. Sherlock goes on a case in the country (for example in an adaptation of the Copper Beeches) and John is so nervous about him going alone that Mary says "well, then go after him, I can manage a few days without him". I can imagine them writing first some really funny scenes with John acting like a dweep and then a really funny scene in which Sherlock can't believe that he suddenly turns up.
And the older the child gets, the more possibilities are there....I mean, we did enjoy Sherlock's interaction with Archie, right?

Board footera