BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 27, 2016 9:48 pm  #5201

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

The writers do have an obvious get of the queerbaiting charge trope though. The one used ish in tplosh .
Ambiguously gay Sherlock is in a desperately unspoken and unrequited love for his straight best friend John.

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 27, 2016 9:48 pm  #5202

Liberty wrote:

Well, quick example - the very first trope on the list is the Red String of Fate: Sherlock and John meeting because of saying the same thing to the same person.   Of course this could lead to a romance if that was being set up, but there's no need for it do so.   Sherlock and John's meeting was very close to the way they met in the original story.  Sherlock and John are clearly fated to be together, and the programme is about their relationship.  I don't see anything there that screams at me that this means it must be a romance rather than a friendship.   I understand that that's what people are saying it means, but I don't agree.  The writers are free to use romantic tropes to show aspects of the friendship if they want (or just for fun, or because they like them, etc.).  And I think it's important to keep in mind that they are trying to show a very special and unique friendship - not just any old friendship.

A ton of romantic tons are used, not just a couple. Some of which cannot be applied to friendship. You cannot take one by one and say "this could also apply to very important friendship" and if you cannot say this say "This can be applied to a friendship that is like romance".
And there is still the issue of discrimination because they are not usually used like that.

Last edited by Ho Yay (January 27, 2016 9:49 pm)

January 27, 2016 9:51 pm  #5203

Liberty wrote:

And I think it's important to keep in mind that they are trying to show a very special and unique friendship - not just any old friendship.

Can you define what makes this friendship unique? Why it´s different than any other?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 27, 2016 9:52 pm  #5204

Ho Yay wrote:

And there is still the issue of discrimination because they are not usually used like that.

Oh, I guess now it's not discrimination here because the poor tropes are being mixed up not regarding any respective context 

Last edited by Harriet (January 27, 2016 9:53 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 27, 2016 9:54 pm  #5205

@Nakahara, no, I didn't say that .

January 27, 2016 10:01 pm  #5206

Liberty wrote:

@Nakahara, no, I didn't say that .

Then you doesn´t exclude the chance that TSOT may have queer subtext?

To Vitruvian John: the amount of alcohol you can drink is usually determined by your weight, not by your photograph, or the picture of a renaissance man with your best friend´s head glued to it. How would a chemist like Sherlock not know that?

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 28, 2016 7:01 am  #5207

No, I was saying that it fits with a non-sexual/platonic relationship.  (Which of course leaves room for other interpretations).  

nakahara wrote:

Liberty wrote:

And I think it's important to keep in mind that they are trying to show a very special and unique friendship - not just any old friendship.

Can you define what makes this friendship unique? Why it´s different than any other?

I think even just the fact they are together, so close, for so many years is unusual.  But I think there's something special about the quality and nature of their relationship too.   I posted a quote by Steven Moffat over on the friendship thread about them having redeemed each other, which I think is what we see - they save each other.   They each fill a gap in the other's life that nobody else can.  They are each better for being with each other, I think. 

January 28, 2016 7:23 am  #5208

Sherlock - the story of a detective, his impulses and why he doesn't just elope with his special friend Dr. john Watson. A source of endless fascination since 1895 - and we know it's always 1895. 

I think I know where I'd place my money if I had the choice between "they are carefully crafting a love-story arc spanning the decades" and "they are milking the fascination with Sherlock's sexuality for their own benefit".. Not that I've ever gamble with them, I'm pretty sure they have "we always win whatever you do anyway" written in the rules of their game somewhere. That's not meant as criticizing them, it's their show and they can do whatever they want to be successful. And maybe I'm wrong, I almost wish I am when I read justified wishes for Johnlock as canon. But all the subtext and cinematographic hints and tropes mean nothing as long as main-text John stays stubbornly hetero and Sherlock just pines and pines for whatever, maybe just for John in his life, maybe even more.. make it explicit or take away the innuendo, that's how I am feeling about it at the moment. If I'm honest I'm thoroughly bored by the ambiguity I once enjoyed by now..

Last edited by Zatoichi (January 28, 2016 8:18 am)

January 28, 2016 7:27 am  #5209

I just think it's a tiny part of the show.
If people want to concentrate on that part, again, it's up to them.
But for me it's negligible.
I just see a growing friendship between these two great guys.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 28, 2016 7:44 am  #5210

Funnily enough, I thought TAB definitely cleared it up!  Then came here and found that not everybody saw it the same way.

January 28, 2016 7:46 am  #5211

Zatoichi wrote:

...make it explicit or take away the innuendo, that's how I am feeling about it at the moment. If I'm honest I'm thoroughly bored by the ambiguity I once enjoyed by now..

I cannot agree more with you in this point.
Stop toying with fans, Moftiss. Write both guys as merely friends (it can be easily done, as confirmed by Elementary), or turn the story into romance, but stop adding senseless innuendo and doble-meaning into the show if you don´t want to build anything on it. You can´t have a cake and eat it at the same time. It´s merely stupid baiting then and its insulting to your fans.

January 28, 2016 8:25 am  #5212

Liberty wrote:

Funnily enough, I thought TAB definitely cleared it up!  Then came here and found that not everybody saw it the same way.

I still haven't seen the Special.. Somehow can't bring myself to it. So I don't know.. But they are definitely teased by Moriarty about the nature of their relationship.. Again. And he and his gun get very excited in Sherlock's presence.. Again. So they definitely don't seem to be done with this kind of innuendo quite yet..

January 28, 2016 8:27 am  #5213

May I ask why you have not seen the special? I think it would not make much sense to watch series 4 without knowing it. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 28, 2016 8:30 am  #5214

John and Sherlock not being in a romantic arc in text and being it only in subtext is a presumption based on heteronormativity though.
What is happening on screen in text is consistent with it being a romantic arc.
John is not hetero on screen, it is a presumption. Him being bi is supported by everything on screen text and subtext since he has a romantic arc with a man and seems attracted to women, also many tropes are text not subtext.

Last edited by Ho Yay (January 28, 2016 8:34 am)

January 28, 2016 8:55 am  #5215

Well, I'll be happy if John's bisexuality will someday be textually confirmed enough to be undeniable even for viewers with a heteronormative mindset. Because watching something coded in a way only queer viewers or scholars of cinematography can fully grasp is neither very satisfactory nor contributing to queer representation imo.

Susi, if I will someday far from now be inclined and actually able to see the phantom that still is S4, there will still be plenty of time for Tab..

January 28, 2016 9:12 am  #5216

Zatoichi wrote:

Well, I'll be happy if John's bisexuality will someday be textually confirmed enough to be undeniable even for viewers with a heteronormative mindset. Because watching something coded in a way only queer viewers or scholars of cinematography can fully grasp is neither very satisfactory nor contributing to queer representation imo.

But the "code" is not that difficult to crack, is it? Plenty of fans who never before heard of Sherlock Holmes and just watched the series randomly noticed these Johnlocky vibes, without studying filmmaking and queer studies at the same time... people in this thread even complained about an "overdose" of these Johnlock fans.

They simply saw things that are mostly used in romantic movies to connect two leads as a romantic pair and read them as such. No special mental gymnastics was needed for that....

January 28, 2016 9:12 am  #5217

well, if they get together it is currently being contributing in this form

The aim should be that it is the mindset that has to bend to accept equal coding for different genders and not the coding that should bend to differ for different genders, so a show like this could really change the people mindset and make them recognise romantic tropes on queer couples in the future in rewatches of Sherlock and other shows.
The coding it is right now available to everyone, not only available to queer viewers and scholars, it is the same language that everybody speaks. The barrier is in society. Everybody who has followed love stories is acquainted with this language.

Last edited by Ho Yay (January 28, 2016 9:14 am)

January 28, 2016 9:37 am  #5218

I have never followed love stories if I had the choice 

@nakahara, it´s not difficult to pick up on the hints and innuendo and becoming a fan of it, quite the contrary.. but decoding "Sherlock" as actually being an epic romance (in which the love interest seems surprisingly okay with the hero almost sacrificing his life for his heteronormative spouse and other textual blows against everything I´d ever consider as "romantically promising") is another story.

Time will tell, that´s the good thing..

January 28, 2016 9:40 am  #5219

Zatoichi wrote:

I have never followed love stories if I had the choice 

@nakahara, it´s not difficult to pick up on the hints and innuendo and becoming a fan of it, quite the contrary.. but decoding "Sherlock" as actually being an epic romance (in which the love interest seems surprisingly okay with the hero almost sacrificing his life for his heteronormative spouse and other textual blows against everything I´d ever consider as "romantically promising") is another story.

Time will tell, that´s the good thing..

Yes, I´m curious what they would unleash on us in S4.

January 28, 2016 5:10 pm  #5220

http://loudest-subtext-in-television.tumblr.com/post/88272799479/softly-softly-the-bbcs-2009-lgb-research
Thanks for that link, it was interesting. Still, for me, it's not definite.

"I will grant it’s always possible that Gatiss and Moffat were given not only the green light, but actual encouragement to make the gay Sherlock Holmes adaptation they obviously wanted to make, and they were just like, “Nah, we’re cool. But thanks.” Possible, however, does not equal strong, or even plausible."

That's the problem. I can totally see why the writers, the BBC, basically EVERYBODY wants it to be a proper romance. I'm just not sure it is. And I don't think it's that I just assume everybody is heterosexual until proven otherwise, as the meta also mentions, but it's more that I'm perfectly happy to think Sherlock is whatever, let's say gay, and John is bisexual, yeah, and still they might not end up in a relationship, and that would be fine for me. People love other people, on a platonic level. It's normal. Women love men that way. Women love women that way. Men love men that way, etc. etc.
If they want to do groundbreaking, they could just as well show how deep affection musn't always end with both people in bed. (I would find that really groundbreaking indeed.) Or they could go for the romance. Both ways would be great, imo.

Just why it has to be romance, as TJLC suggests, as the only possible outcome, is not so clear to me. Although I now see very well where their arguments are coming from. I just think not deciding will become damaging to the show, rather soon. Otherwise, right now, I would assume, they don't know either. Which, again, would be fine, if we agree that some people live beyond categories - maybe John and Sherlock are doing exactly that. Though then I wouldn't know if the BBC likes that as a concept, from what I've just read, because probably many viewers wouldn't get the message (I wouldn't. I don't, right now). And as I've just learned from that meta, the BBC is really eager to spread a message, to push limits.

Last edited by Whisky (January 28, 2016 5:16 pm)

"It is what it is."

Board footera