BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 14, 2012 3:10 am  #1

Another question for a British person to answer, please.

When referring to Molly having gained weight, Sherlock says she has gained three pounds. Do you generally express people's weight in pounds as opposed to kilos? Just how much do you use the metric system in everyday life?

I remember hearing about some greengrocers in England who were getting in trouble for advertising the price per pound (rather than per kilo) of their produce in front of their stores. True? Comments?

Anyway, every time I run across someone's weight in "stones" in an old book, I have to go look up how much that is again.

Thanks!

August 14, 2012 3:56 am  #2

Re: Another question for a British person to answer, please.

Can't answer that question, not being British.

I can, however, say that one stone is equal to 14 pounds. I just have to have that memorized and calculate it. Pretty irritating. *sigh*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

August 14, 2012 12:06 pm  #3

16 ounces (oz) in a pound (lb) 14 pounds (lbs) in a stone (st).

We generally give weight of people in stones and pounds although some  people will weigh themselves in kilos.

In shops all foods are shown in metric grammes, kilos, litres etc. Petrol is purchased in litres. Distances on the road are given in miles. Distances in track running etc. are given in metric metres etc. Medicines are in metric.

Measurements vary depending on the age of the person. Either inches (ins or " ) feet (ft ' ) Imperial measurements or centimetres (cms) and metres (m). Younger people are familiar with metric and older Imperial. Technical equipment and tools etc ae given in metric.

All a bit confusing eh!?

Last edited by Davina (August 14, 2012 12:44 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 14, 2012 12:29 pm  #4

Hi Veecee and Smoggy, I work with someone who gave us all weekly bulletins throughout her weight loss in terms of pounds lost, so yes it is usual. However, she was much more delighted to be able to tell us in terms of a stone rather than a pound (lb) here and there. Her eventual loss of three stones was something to be proud of ! Babies birth weights (unless this has changed very recently) are still given in lbs and ozs. However, in school maths and physics metric (SI) units Kg, metres, litres etc. are used, ie metres per second^2 (can't write squared any other way) is the compound unit used for acceleration of a falling body due to gravity (9.81 metres per second per second or more commonly now per second squared).

Oh yes, I remember the case where a greengrocer was prosecuted for selling produce in lbs rather than kg. I think they eventually decided that either can be used because there was a public outcry over the case. We still like our lb of spuds (just can't afford them any more )

Last edited by JaneCo (August 14, 2012 12:34 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 14, 2012 7:10 pm  #5

Thanks, all.

And there's another small thing: We in the US say "math," not "maths."

August 14, 2012 7:37 pm  #6

Yes I know, but we in the UK don't and you did ask for a UK person to answer 

August 14, 2012 11:20 pm  #7

Right you are. 

I just want to be sure we can all impersonate each other if we ever have to. Don't forget how "cell phone" gave away the villain in Hounds.

August 15, 2012 5:46 am  #8

We don't say the 'th' sound in Anthony either and we do say the 'h' in herb.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 15, 2012 6:56 pm  #9

Thank you for the tips.

Board footera