BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 22, 2016 10:19 pm  #1

So he is going.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 22, 2016 10:26 pm  #2

Re: So he is going.

Part of me is sad but I love Chris Chibnall too. And that leaves him more time for other things... ;)

---------------
It's not really a ship, it's more like a life raft.

January 22, 2016 10:37 pm  #3

Sad to hear Moffat is finishing up with DW, but glad he will have more time for Sherlock (I wonder if he has any other projects besides?).

But no new Doctor Who until Christmas!? Oh well, gives me time to catch up

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 22, 2016 10:38 pm  #4

Yeah that's what I said on Twitter.
Steven is a great talent and we should be proud of him.
I hope this his decision.
But yes, great if he can do other stuff.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 22, 2016 10:51 pm  #5

Oh wow, this is quite unexpected - but I have to admit that I'm really, really looking forward to Chris Chibnall as showrunner. Can't wait to see what his version of DW will look like.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 22, 2016 10:55 pm  #6

The Twitter gossip now, is whether or not Peter will go at the same time.

January 22, 2016 11:02 pm  #7

He's survived what? 5 years of show running DW. He's created an acclaimed international success in Sherlock. He probably has a gazillion other ideas of stuff he wants to do. Looking forward to see where he goes with DW in 2017, and Sherlock obvs.

---------------

January 22, 2016 11:03 pm  #8

besleybean wrote:

The Twitter gossip now, is whether or not Peter will go at the same time.

There's precedent for it recently but Peter loves Doctor Who. I dunno he may or may not...

---------------

January 22, 2016 11:52 pm  #9

There are people who are going to be happy about this, even if it's not everybody.  There are a lot of people who are not happy with what he's done with the show, and while I haven't seen all of Doctor Who series 8 and the rest up to now, I have heard it hasn't been as good lately.  Maybe Steven is fatigued and it's time for fresh eyes, fresh ideas.

But I have to say, I'm glad this was just about him leaving Doctor Who.  When I first saw the title, I panicked and though he was going to stop writing Sherlock, too. AHH! Luckily, that's not the case.

Clueing for looks.

January 23, 2016 8:21 am  #10

I know.
Unfortunately I saw some awful hate against Steven on Twitter.
Sometimes I give up on this world, well at least some of the people in it!

Thankfully, however, I escaped any panic about Sherlock!
He wouldn't let Mark down...

Last edited by besleybean (January 23, 2016 8:22 am)

January 23, 2016 8:30 am  #11

I'd heard the rumours, so not entirely a surprise.  The big shock for me is that there won't be a 2016 series!  

And I'm also shocked that people are saying that it's not as good now, Yitzock!  I honestly think this latest run has been fantastic, and includes my favourite episode of all time (of the ones I've seen of course, which is a good bit of the original, and almost all of the reboot).   I do have a couple of gripes about what Steven has done with the show, but I don't understand why people are saying the recent episodes aren't as good.   I suppose it's just a matter of taste.   I love Peter Capaldi, so that maybe influences me a little too ... but I'd still say the recent series was better than last one (that he was in too).  

Anyway, I'll be interested to see what it's like with Chris Chibnall.  Maybe Steven might still be able to write the occasional episode? 

And yes, I've heard the rumours about Peter Capaldi leaving too.  It's sad to think that we might already have seen most of his episodes. 

January 23, 2016 8:34 am  #12

I love Peter, but Matt remains my fave.

January 23, 2016 10:40 am  #13

I am not quite sure how to feel about that. Steven has written many of my favourite episodes on DW, but after Donna I never quite connected to any of the companions anymore (though Amy, Rory and River still had their moments). But I can understand that at some point it is time to move on. From what you hear from people who have left the show, being a major part of doctor who can be gruelling, if great fun. Virtually no time for other projects (tough I do not think that Steven’s time is the limiting factor on Sherlock), and apparently at the end of a season, everyone is ready to just fall apart. Plus that Steven also has to handle all the hatred that is constantly flung at him. As chances are that Capaldi will be leaving together with him, I hope we will see a grand finale à la the Davies/Tennant send-off. Tennant will always be my Doctor, but Capaldi comes second for me and I cannot imagine what Steven will come up with as a proper send-off if he knows it will be his swansong, too (I loved Smith’s last monologue). Let’s just hope that he will pop back every now and than with another masterpiece as guest writer. 

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 23, 2016 10:44 am  #14

Here's hoping.

January 23, 2016 3:16 pm  #15

He's not actually giving up the helm until Spring 2017...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 23, 2016 3:56 pm  #16

This is a double edged sword to me... on one hand I'm actually sad to lose him on Doctor Who... I'm a bit of a masochistic Whovian and do love the painful episodes and character timelines he created... there was a beauty to the sadness and that clutch in your heart when the episode started with "Written By Stephen Moffat". 

But... being a massive fan of Sherlock too and maybe this will give him more time to work on this. 

No matter what, no one can take away what he's already brought to DW. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 23, 2016 4:19 pm  #17

I don't really think it is DW duties that hold back Steven from Sherlock.
I think it's Benedict and Martin's schedules.

January 23, 2016 4:19 pm  #18

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

This is a double edged sword to me... on one hand I'm actually sad to lose him on Doctor Who... I'm a bit of a masochistic Whovian and do love the painful episodes and character timelines he created... there was a beauty to the sadness and that clutch in your heart when the episode started with "Written By Stephen Moffat". 

But... being a massive fan of Sherlock too and maybe this will give him more time to work on this. 

No matter what, no one can take away what he's already brought to DW. 

See I love all his characters with a passion but I got so involved in his puzzly nature that sometimes on a rewatch I find as I know the denouement it sort of loses it's emotinal impact. Might just be me though.

---------------

January 23, 2016 5:00 pm  #19

I know it's Martin and Ben's schedules keeping them from filming... but it will give him more time to write Sherlock,get even more clever now he won't have to work on DW also. That's what I meant. 

And Little Weed I do see what you're saying, especially with the latest series that's been true... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 23, 2016 9:29 pm  #20

That's interesting, Little Weed.  I usually only watch episodes once, so don't get to see them from that angle.  (Except Heaven Sent, which I just had to watch more than once, and more than twice!  It stands up well to a rewatch, though). 

Davina, I know it's not till 2017, but that's only one series away!

Board footera