BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 18, 2016 10:25 pm  #181

Re: When a beloved celebrity dies

Ivy wrote:

After that Sony hack is was revealed that Benedict wanted (wants) to play Bowie in that Freddie Mercury biopic. I think it even must be mentioned in this forum somewhere. He would be great in every role, but he wouldn't be the first actor who'd come to my mind for playing Bowie. 

It looks like it was mentioned on this board once only, briefly.  (Mine would be Tilda, btw  )
But it's weird how the death of a person might change such plans as well.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 18, 2016 10:30 pm  #182

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 19, 2016 12:03 am  #183

I don't know if I can take much more.

Glenn Frey of the Eagles dead at 67
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/18/glenn-frey-dead-dies

The music of the Eagles is threaded all through my life, my heart. They've been with me riding down the road with the windows open, laughing at the sky. They've been with me in the darkness, holding my pillow, letting the pain out.

I didn't get to see them as a teenager before they broke up but I was there 5th row for the Hell Freezes Over tour. Most of my friends had declared the ticket prices to high and decided not to go but I would've paid anything to hear that music live.

I got to see them one more time a few years ago in Piedmont Park. I took my daughter and I will always be grateful I got to share their music with her. Rest in Peace Glenn. Thank you for all you gave us.

Last edited by tonnaree (January 19, 2016 12:04 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 19, 2016 3:45 am  #184

Too many people have died this past week.
I don't know if anybody on this forum knows who she is, but Céline Dion lost her husband and brother in the span of 2 or 3 days. The same week we lost Bowie, Rickman, and now a week later, Frey from the Eagles. I only know a couple of their songs, but thy are famous and significant figures in rock history. Hope you are able to deal with this alright, tonnaree.

Last edited by Yitzock (January 19, 2016 3:46 am)

Clueing for looks.

January 19, 2016 6:07 am  #185

Sorry to hear that, tonnaree.. What a horrible week. 

January 19, 2016 6:31 am  #186

@ Harriet Well you have said that, I didn't.
Furthermore, I don't think it.

Wow, only just seen about Frey...really like him, too.

Last edited by besleybean (January 19, 2016 6:33 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 19, 2016 2:14 pm  #187

It is hard.  My two favorite bands in the whole world are U2 and The Eagles. 
And even though Glenn wasn't my favorite band member, he was one of the founders and a great songwriter.  There would've been no Eagles without him. 
To think that there will be no more new music from him ever breaks my heart.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

January 19, 2016 4:57 pm  #188

Indeed, a sad loss.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 23, 2016 3:44 pm  #189

What an incredibly crappy way to start a New Year. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 21, 2016 4:42 am  #190

Authors Harper Lee and Umberto Eco have both passed away in the last few days
To Kill a Mockingbird and The Name of the Rose are two great books I read in my formative years.

Last edited by ukaunz (February 21, 2016 4:43 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 21, 2016 8:28 am  #191

Yes, the world has lost two great authors.
Though to my shame, I only saw the film of Name of the Rose.
I haven't read any Eco and I must correct that.

February 21, 2016 10:41 am  #192

I loved "The Name of the Rose"...
The film is good, but the story in the book is just richer and I'd definitely recommend the
book even if it takes some time to get through :-)

"It is what it is."

February 21, 2016 11:02 am  #193

Whisky wrote:

I loved "The Name of the Rose"...
The film is good, but the story in the book is just richer and I'd definitely recommend the
book even if it takes some time to get through :-)

Yes to all of this.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

February 21, 2016 2:48 pm  #194

I think I'd give Foucault's Pendulum a go first.

February 21, 2016 3:50 pm  #195

I was deeply saddened by both of these.

Harper Lee was a treasure.  To Kill a Mockingbird is one of the all time greatest American novels and we can still benefit from it's lessons today.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

February 21, 2016 3:57 pm  #196

We can indeed.
Though possibly one needs to read both of her novels, to get the balance.

February 21, 2016 7:56 pm  #197

besleybean wrote:

I think I'd give Foucault's Pendulum a go first.

That's one I have on my bookshelf, unread...
Why this one before The Name of the Rose?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 21, 2016 8:00 pm  #198

Just cos Foucault sounds all philosophical to me!
But honestly, I just need to read something by him...I know we have ' Rose ' in the house- somewhere!

February 21, 2016 9:40 pm  #199

Foucault was a structuralist, unless we're talking about a different Foucault.

Clueing for looks.

February 21, 2016 9:42 pm  #200

Ah well, I need to read it to learn then!

Board footera