BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 16, 2016 3:53 pm  #141

Re: When a beloved celebrity dies

Yes, everyone gets his or her moment... and I had completely forgotten that Sam Rockwell was in the film, too. (But I think this is getting OT now...)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 16, 2016 3:53 pm  #142

SolarSystem wrote:

"Bob Roberts" twice...? English and German version? And where is "Die Hard"...? We actually watched "Died Hard" and "Galaxy Quest" yesterday and it was a real nice way to remember Alan.

Bob Roberts twice, yes. No idea, why. But then I have the same Sherlock episodes about.... 3 times? 
"Die Hard" as well as "Robin Hood" you'll find in hubbys collection. Couldn't convince him during all these years to add them to mine. 
In mine there is also "Mesmer" "The Butler" (Alan for president!!) and - somewhere in this house - "Rasputin". 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 16, 2016 3:56 pm  #143

I've just seen on Facebook that Malcolm Mclaren has died.
Not  a huge fan of his, but The Sex Pistol really sailed my boat, in the day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 16, 2016 3:57 pm  #144

Oh, btw. if you love him in Galaxy Quest you surely like him in Dogma, Say hello to Metatron:

January 16, 2016 4:02 pm  #145

"Dogma" is hilarious! I think Matt Damon and Ben Affleck are (once again) a great team in this film, but Alan is the real star...! He looks so cool in his hoodie and all that...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

January 16, 2016 4:04 pm  #146

Mattlocked wrote:

"Die Hard" as well as "Robin Hood" you'll find in hubbys collection. Couldn't convince him during all these years to add them to mine.

Excuse me...? You should have a serious conversation with your hubby. That's just unacceptable.

January 16, 2016 4:05 pm  #147

Oh, yes, "Dogma" is brilliant! And another example of a very good ensemble movie, I think.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

January 16, 2016 4:06 pm  #148

That's a great story, Mattlocked, thanks for sharing!  and a nice collection, too..

Here is a very bad pic of the legal part of my slightly smaller but yet fine collection: 

A big German newspaper titled about Alan "The magic remains", and I think this is indeed a consoling thought, that we still have so much of his work to enjoy. (Sigh)

January 16, 2016 4:06 pm  #149

"What are you?" "I'M PISSED OFF IS WHAT I AM!"

January 16, 2016 4:08 pm  #150

Mattlocked wrote:

"What are you?" "I'M PISSED OFF IS WHAT I AM!"

January 16, 2016 4:10 pm  #151

@ Zatoichi  Oh, The Return of the Native! Of course! I still have them on stereo tapes
Nice collection, not much smaller, as it seems.
Today I received "A little Chaos" as bluray. And then there are those little gems on my computer, like "The Boy in the Bubble" with Alan as narrator.

January 16, 2016 4:26 pm  #152

I used to own the tapes, too.. Then I sold my tape deck with one of them still inside, so of course I had to invest in the CD- version.. Too bad. I also.. erm.. keep safe for a friend.. her.. safety copies of several older movies that are hard to come by from here, An Awfully Big Adventure, Rasputin, Truly, Madly, Deeply and so on.

I don't know "the boy in the Bubble" yet, I will  look out for it! Probably I don't have to tell you about several of his narrations on youtube..

January 16, 2016 4:30 pm  #153

"Truly, Madly, Deeply"... god, how I love that movie. It might sound impious, but I'm actually hoping that they will release the film on DVD with German dubbing now... I've been hoping for that for years, because I really want to show the film to my boyfriend (his English just isn't good enough to watch films in English, and he doesn't like subtitles).

January 16, 2016 4:38 pm  #154

I haven't seen that one. Can you give some brief overview, Solar?

"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

January 16, 2016 4:45 pm  #155

Well, it's... you probably won't believe this now, but in the film Alan's character, Jamie, has died and comes back to his beloved (I'm not sure if they were married or not) in the form of a ghost. And she can see him and sing songs with him and all that. And she loves being back together with him until... well, until she starts to fall in love with another man... It's a wonderfully heart-warming little film. Out of all of Alan's films I'd definitely recommend this one the most (but I don't know them all, so...).
But as I've just discovered on Amazon, the film needs a complete re-release... even the original UK-version isn't available anymore.

Last edited by SolarSystem (January 16, 2016 4:56 pm)

January 16, 2016 5:05 pm  #156

It you don't mind a less than stellar quality and spanish subtitles you can watch it on YouTube..

Last edited by Zatoichi (January 16, 2016 5:06 pm)

January 16, 2016 5:20 pm  #157

Erm....I'm confused...  Just checked amazon.de as well as co.uk for this movie....they both have DVDs in store for more than 100€ or £??? And one each for more than 400???? What????

Last edited by mrshouse (January 16, 2016 5:21 pm)

January 16, 2016 5:31 pm  #158

Probably used copies. If someone is selling their used copy through the site it's usually for a high price. Or it often is.

Clueing for looks.

January 16, 2016 5:46 pm  #159

The boy in the bubble

January 16, 2016 6:02 pm  #160

Oh that was lovely, thank you for the link! I couldn't help but think of young Severus, Lily and James..^^

Last edited by Zatoichi (January 16, 2016 6:03 pm)

Board footera