BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 6, 2016 9:52 pm  #1

Full audio transcript of A Study in Pink episode.

I hope it will be helpful for visually impaired fans

January 11, 2016 1:59 pm  #2

Re: Full audio transcript of A Study in Pink episode.

Bugger me - why wasn't I asked for permission to have this done?  I almost definitely would have said yes, but nobody did me the courtesy of asking.  Obviously the spoken words are copyright to Moffat, but the descriptions are mine and I really hate it when people just take my work and re-use it without permission or credit.

January 11, 2016 2:45 pm  #3

Esp since you clearly indicate that on your website 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 11, 2016 5:01 pm  #4

Whoever loaded it on Youtube claims that my "Polite notice" meant that he/she was free to do this without asking as long as he/she gave me a credit - which they actually did in the notice.  Personally I still think it would have been polite to at least alert me to what they were doing.

I had a sudden terrible thought and went to the very end of the recording - and found to my total embarrassment that the programme even picks up the deliberately-struck-out asides and therefore included my rather suggestive comment in the very last line!!

January 11, 2016 5:32 pm  #5

I think their reply reveals their ruthless attitude to the interested public and doesn't put them in a positive light.
When I found it, I was surprised to find them so impudent towards a person they actually owe something.

Last edited by Harriet (January 11, 2016 5:35 pm)

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 18, 2016 1:58 pm  #6

You should see what he was like once we got in touch through Facebook ...

... but I won't repeat it because it would give you nightmares.  He is not a nice man.  The only reason I daren't report him to Youtube is because - especially if they shut down his entire channel instead of just that one video - he's likely to go on a vengeful rampage in an attempt to get my Livejournal shut down, and I could do without the hassle.

The stupid thing is, if he'd just been polite and open to discussion from the start, I would happily have edited all the transcripts over time so that he could have a much better and more understandable version for the blind/partially sighted people he claims to care about so much.  (Although stating "I don't care the quality" [sic] suggests that he doesn't care that much. 

January 26, 2016 9:21 pm  #7

I'm so very sorry to read this has happened. Especially as your transcripts are such a wonderful source for writers, vidders and other fans. After all the hard work and effort you put into making them you don't deserve to be treated so rudely.

My sincere commiserations.

January 27, 2016 1:17 pm  #8

Thank you.  Every time I think about it I want to punch a wall, so I have to keep distracting myself with shiny things!

He has said that he intends to use all the transcripts in due course and that if I won't provide him with more appropriate edited versions, they'll go up as they are.  I did a quick read of The Blind Banker, which presumably will be the next one up, and feel so sorry for those people who genuinely need audio recordings, because my snarky and shippy ramblings will confuse the hell out of them.

When I discussed the whole topic with a group of people on Livejournal, one evil genius suggested that whenever I do transcripts in future, I should put in an aside in the middle of a paragraph saying something like, "By the way, if you're listening to this as an audio transcript on Freeaudiobooks' Youtube channel, the guy is a complete douche ..."!

January 27, 2016 1:25 pm  #9

Ariane dearest, I work for the government.  If you'd like this douche to disappear, they'll never find the body.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 27, 2016 2:02 pm  #10

Oh no - I missed the last entries here.

(And he deleted all YT comments. What a coward, too.)

January 28, 2016 11:14 am  #11

There are some weird things going on with the Comments on the video.  I'm registered on Youtube under two different names, depending on whether I'm at work or on my home computer (I didn't do it that way deliberately; it was just a fluke!).  When I click into the video from one place, I can still see the comments I posted as Ariane DeVere; when I click in from the other place, I can see a similar comment I posted as Callie Sullivan (both saying that I don't approve of the video in its current format and didn't give permission for it to be made).  And yet it seems that anyone else clicking in can't see any comments at all.  It looks like that crafty bastard has fiddled with the settings.

Thank you, tonnaree - I will bear your offer in mind!  It would certainly save me some ... (grimaces) ... legwork.

;-)

Last edited by Ariane DeVere (January 28, 2016 11:21 am)

January 28, 2016 1:48 pm  #12

I'm here for you dear. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 28, 2016 6:53 pm  #13

Have you reported this person to YouTube?

January 29, 2016 1:43 pm  #14

I don't want to because, as I said above, I fear that he might go all out to get revenge and make formal complaints to the BBC and/or Hartswood in an attempt to get my transcripts taken down.  For the sake of the fandom, I have to try and protect the transcripts (though I'm not planning to jump off a hospital roof in order to do it!).

If he goes ahead with his threat and posts an audio version of The Blind Banker or any other episode, I may have to reconsider and risk the consequences.

By the way, I'm now squinting suspiciously at the creator of this topic, who joined this forum on the same day that the video went up on Youtube, and who has been strangely silent ever since ...  Oi!  If that's you, why didn't you use the private messaging system here to contact me after I commented on Youtube?  You with your "I don't have any way to contact you" claims.

January 29, 2016 1:58 pm  #15

Ariane, very sorry to hear that. Please tell me if you wish me to delete this thread so this person at least will not be able to advertise the video in here. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 30, 2016 3:03 pm  #16

I'm astonished at the sheer cheek of this person. Ariane, why don't you appeal directly to Mark Gatiss to take direct action against this person. He and Steven Moffat are so sympathetic and encouraging towards all fannish pursuits. They must be aware of your transcripts and how important they are.

And perhaps we could all make a huge effort and make the transcripts available as podfics for people who are blind or have bad eyesight as a fan undertaking? My English pronunciation is horrendous but I would willingly take a small part.

February 2, 2016 3:11 pm  #17

SusiGo wrote:

Please tell me if you wish me to delete this thread so this person at least will not be able to advertise the video in here. 

It's up to you, boss.  Personally I'm not bothered; and if it is him who set up this page, hopefully he'll come back and see what people think of his attitude, and maybe that'll dissuade him from stealing any more of my work.  (*laughs hollowly at the idea of this guy doing the decent thing ...*)  And it has been really helpful to get other people's feedback and know that it isn't me going all dog-in-a-manger and that I am apparently justified in feeling peeved that my work has been so horribly corrupted.

In principle he is actually doing a nice thing for people.  He's just going about it in the wrong way (like nicking the material, not seeking permission, and then getting up the nose of the person who could have helped him to do a nicer job which won't confuse the people he's trying to help).

But lord, no, I would never think of approaching Gatiss, or Mofftiss, or Hartswood!  It's far too insignificant an issue for them to get involved with and, as I've said above, if the eyes of The Powers That Be are turned towards the audio transcript, they might feel obliged to look at the transcripts as well.  The last thing I want is for Mr Douchebag's work to be the reason why the transcripts have to be taken down as well.

February 2, 2016 4:24 pm  #18

@Susi

I thought the same the other week, but then this is one of the only few places where people can find Ariane's perspective of the story. It would be lost here then, too.

Board footera