BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 25, 2015 7:52 pm  #21

Re: When a beloved celebrity dies

No, he absolutely hated the idea that people would 'follow' him as if he were some sort of leader, as far as I'm aware. 

November 6, 2015 12:01 pm  #22

A bit late but this thread reminds me of this old tumblr post:

There's going to come a day when we've all grown up, had a career, maybe got married and had kids, when were all going about our daily routine. Maybe you're driving to work with the car radio on, or you're making dinner with the tv on in the lounge. Life as usual, and then we hear a name. It's the name of the person you had a blog dedicated to when you were 16. The person you had posters of up on your bedroom wall, or as your desktop background. The person off that show you used to watch every week, as soon as it came out, or that band you used to love. The person from the cast of a movie that changed your life, or the character who you scrolled through page after page of fanfiction of. You haven't heard that name in a long time, and it brings everything back. And then the name is followed by three words you thought you'd never hear. Has Passed Away. And then you put down the potato peeler and lean back against your kitchen bench, or you pull over to the side of the road, and tears are streaming down your face. And all over the world, there are people who used to be just like you, with tears marking their cheeks and sobs forcing their way out of their throat, because they remember. Because fandoms never really die out. We never really move on. We never really forget. http://dudeufugly.tumblr.com/post/29554687126/theres-going-to-come-a-day-when-weve-all-grown

I mean if someone was old and died you'll find it sad but probably will say "well he/she had a long life" but when a younger person dies because of a illness, accident or suicide that's really shocking.

I was shocked when Robin Williams killed himself last year, because he was brilliant and meant a lot to me when I was younger. And also because suicide out of a mental illness is even worse for me. Everything regarding mental illnesses is very close to my heart.

An older friend of mine once told about the day John Lennon was shot, she was 16 and although she never was that kind of teenager who hyperventilated when someone mention her favourite star, she was devastated like when a very close friend or family member dies. Although the fact that he was shot like in a film makes his death even worse.

When I was a teenager (12 to 18) so around 1992 to 1998 there wasn't someone who died whom I liked so much I was devastated. The only thing that comes to my mind is that a friend and I liked the "Manic Street Preachers" and in 1995 their guitarist Richey Edwards disappeared and hasn't been found til this day. They found his car near a bridge, where in the past a lot of people had killed themselves, but they've never found his body. A situation that is unbearable especially of course for the family, it is very important to have a grave or just certainty that a person is dead.

Interesting topic Vhanja.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

November 6, 2015 1:57 pm  #23

That Tumblr post you quoted was brilliant, that is exactly how it is. And it sort of makes me "glad" that I am not alone in feeling this, because I sometimes feel crazy shedding tears for someone I never knew.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

November 6, 2015 5:49 pm  #24

I was devastated at the loss of Robin Williams...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 22, 2015 1:36 pm  #25

Not sure if this is the appropriate topic, but the mods will move it if necessary:

Today we had the sad news of the passing of well-known and talented Sherlockian fanartist br0-Harry, announced by his widow Verity Burns: http://verity-burns.tumblr.com/post/135664729696

Say what you like about fandom, this was a true love story of two people who would never have met any other way.  It's just such a shame that Harry died so young and wasn't able to spend more time with his soulmate.

He will be sadly missed, but forever remembered through his amazing art.

December 22, 2015 2:16 pm  #26

Very sad news indeed - I cherish the work of them both, but didn't know anything about their story.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 22, 2015 2:21 pm  #27

I was very shocked and moved to read their story. I did not know about their relationship at all. So very sad but it also shows the wonderful things that can happen in a fandom. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 22, 2015 3:44 pm  #28

Thank you, Ariane. I saw verityburns post yesterday @tumblr and wasn't sure whether or not to post it here and where. I had tears in my eyes, I didn't know they found each other other and even married. I know both of them since I started reading Johnlock fics in June 2012. verityburns wrote the perfect Johnlock story "A road less travelled" it is possibly the reason why I got hooked on Johnlock.

Last edited by Ivy (April 1, 2016 5:01 pm)

----------

December 22, 2015 3:54 pm  #29

Same here, Ivy, she is the author of some of my very first fanfic experiences, and just the other day I finished Given in Evidence. While I've been loving Harry's art a lot, too.

Last edited by Harriet (December 22, 2015 3:55 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 22, 2015 4:26 pm  #30

I am deeply shocked as well.
While I enjoyed their works separately I never knew of their story. I concur, Ariane, Harry will be greatly missed by those who knew him, in the fandom or otherwise.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

January 11, 2016 8:16 am  #31

Well I'm sure for a lot of people David Bowie definitely belongs in the category of "beloved celebrity". Even if you aren't a fan, he was a f***ing legend! Before I went to sleep yesterday I had the radio on and they played "Space Oddity" and I thought "how lovely I haven't heard it for a while" so it's shocking to wake up with this news today.

----------

January 11, 2016 8:25 am  #32

I couldn't believe this when I heard it on the radio an hour ago. I didn't even know he was ill, but then again I am not a fan. But you're right, Ivy, he was a legend... everyone has heard of him and everyone certainly knows at least one or two of his songs. 69 years... far too young. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 11, 2016 8:46 am  #33

I was shocked when I opened facebook and was met with this. I won't say I was ever a fan, but I've always had a great respect for Bowie, he's a legend, and he stood for ones right to be yourself and express yourself however 'out there' it would seem to others. 

69 is no age, but I'm happy he found peace at least, apparently he had cancer. My thoughts goes out to his family, friends and fans. 

(I have denied myself posting in this topic earlier... it's a bit of a 'touchy' subject for me as I never really got over losing Michael Jackson)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 11, 2016 9:10 am  #34

The first I heard of it was when I saw this on tumblr

And then I just knew what had happened
My kids were watching Labyrinth only just yesterday.

Last edited by ukaunz (January 11, 2016 9:11 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 11, 2016 9:16 am  #35

I think nobody apart from the people close to him knew that he had cancer, he was very seclusive in the last couple of years.
I have an older colleague who is 62 and she had tears in her eyes and is really shaken. She knew him from the beginning, that's why I posted this here, because that came to my mind when I was talking to her. And I read some postings on other sites, there a so many people who grew up with him. I wouldn't call myself a fan, but I really love some of his songs.

----------

January 11, 2016 9:18 am  #36

RIP David. Sad that you left us so quickly.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 11, 2016 9:19 am  #37

this one is great, found it on tumblr, too

----------

January 11, 2016 9:54 am  #38

What a sad news.
I also didn't know about his cancer and was a bit shoked about the note this morning.
RIP David. You were a brilliant artist.

Ivy, that gif is great.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 11, 2016 9:58 am  #39

Very sad news. I wasn't a fan per say, but I grew up with his songs from the 80s, Labyrinth... just yesterday I was listening to "Under Pressure". He was indeed a legend.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 11, 2016 2:27 pm  #40

I, too, never "loved" David Bowie overall, but I think the different images he had over his career are interesting and some of the songs of his are great (Rebel Rebel is one of my favourites) and I do enjoy listening to them once in a while.  
I had no idea he had cancer, and he just released a new album and his birthday was two days ago, so I was really surprised this morning to learn on the news that he had died.  Only 69!  I was shocked.

Clueing for looks.

Board footera