BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 13, 2012 7:32 pm  #1

Radio Times interview

Benedict is on the cover of  the Radio Times for 18- 24th August. Apparently he talks about Sherlock, success and his new sexual currency. Ooo! As soon as I get a copy I will transcript it here for you all.

www.radiotimes.com/photos/2012-08-13/coming-soon

Last edited by Davina (August 13, 2012 7:35 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 13, 2012 8:21 pm  #2

Re: Radio Times interview

Do that, by all means. I'm so curious about that currency thing, I've always loved economics 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 13, 2012 8:25 pm  #3

I'm sure he'd do a sterling job! Lol

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 14, 2012 7:33 pm  #4

--------------------------------------------------
Crime in Progress. Please Disturb.

August 14, 2012 8:10 pm  #5

Thanks Chrissi. Manic day today lead to my being unable to get the copy!

August 14, 2012 11:01 pm  #6

I have an enormous favour to ask. Apparently there is a huge shitstorm on Twitter about some of Benny's comments in the Radio Times article. I haven't been able to find a readable transcript of it so far, so would some lovely, lovely person with a bit of spare time be able to type it out on here? Is that pushing our friendship too far? I hope not. I would guess that some (most) of his comments have been taken out of context again, just like his earlier Downton Abbey comments but would like to confirm, and to just read the bloody article and revel in his longwindedness. If anyone can oblige they will be my BFF Forever 

edited to include a couple of tweets from Caitlin Moran, a very cool chick

Last edited by hepzibah (August 14, 2012 11:07 pm)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

August 14, 2012 11:36 pm  #7

Hepzibah, I had the same problem.
You have to save the scans mentioned above as single picture each on your computer.
When you open it with one of your picture-viewer you can enlargen it until you can read the texts.
(Don't know if I explain understandable.... ?)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 14, 2012 11:51 pm  #8

I'll give it a try, then come back and have a whinge that I wasn't able to do it. See you soon 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

#destroythejoint

August 14, 2012 11:54 pm  #9

Fine, I'll go to sleep meanwhile... 

August 15, 2012 12:15 am  #10

Wake up, Britta, it looks like it's working! See, I told you I could do it! Going to read it now, will post intelligent (!) comment later.

FREE PUSSY RIOT

#destroythejoint

August 15, 2012 12:41 am  #11

The press will turn, Benedict. They always turn. And they'll turn on you.

August 15, 2012 1:13 am  #12

Kedgeree wrote:

I've had that thought many times

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

August 15, 2012 2:41 am  #13

Kedgeree wrote:

I keep thinking of that quote today, as well.

August 15, 2012 6:55 am  #14

Here's another comment about the recent discussion regarding Ben's interviews although I'm not sure I've read the one from the Daily Mail. And the linked Youtube video's quite good.

http://fairyyann.tumblr.com/post/29427810484/how-the-press-twisted-benedicts-words-and-manipulated

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 15, 2012 7:01 am  #15

And the press wonder why some people will never give interviews or insist on prior approval of everything before it is printed. This is why many are known as 'the gutter press'.

'If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools'.

From 'If' by Rudyard Kipling:

www.kipling.org.uk/poems_if.htm

August 15, 2012 8:39 am  #16

hepzibah wrote:

Wake up, Britta, it looks like it's working! See, I told you I could do it! Going to read it now, will post intelligent (!) comment later.

Great! 

August 16, 2012 8:09 am  #17

I thought the article was quite funny, but then I'm just a fangirl who thinks he is perfect (not) 

FREE PUSSY RIOT

#destroythejoint

August 17, 2012 6:39 am  #18

Something that I really admire about our boy (apart from the obvious, of course  ), is the way he is never bland and boring. He says what he thinks, even at the risk of putting people's noses out of joint. I buy Vanity Fair magazine each month (bear with me, it is relevant) because it has fascinating articles about all sorts of subjects. In fact, there was a brilliant one a few months ago by Joseph Stiglitz that explained the origins of the Global Financial Crisis better than anything I have ever read. If I can find it on their website I will post a link in the Current Affairs section.

Where was I? Oh, yes. So, Vanity Fair has a celebrity on the covereach month and then a feature story about them. Sometimes they are interesting people and sometimes they are sooo boring and bland and are obviously there because of their looks or fame and to drive sales. I hate reading boring articles about boring people.

Ben may put his foot in his mouth sometimes, but at least he is never boring and bland. He has his own ideas and opinions, and doesn't stick to the safe option. As a woman of strong opinions myself, I say "good on you, you adorable thing, you" (oops, slipped into fangirl mode there) LOL

FREE PUSSY RIOT

#destroythejoint

August 17, 2012 6:45 am  #19

You're right, he's never boring. I just hope that the unproportional outrage at his comments doesn't prove harmful to him or his work. You can't be everybody's darling. And we like our men at bit edgy, don't we?

August 18, 2012 2:49 am  #20

I prefer witty and smart over 'bit edgy" any day!

Board footera