BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 7, 2016 6:42 pm  #561

Re: The Abominable Bride (for those who have seen it)

Agreed.
As much as I don't think those would fit the character of Sherlock Holmes, I can't help but wonder if he would have taken an interest in it -man of reason, harassed by people (i.e. Watson) who might have thought it scientific?
He might have studied it a bit, just so he could tell people off, with arguments. Or to be certain he could "eliminate the impossible" when deducing :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

January 7, 2016 6:45 pm  #562

Lilythiell wrote:

asylum69 wrote:

kgreen20 wrote:

I'm afraid I've missed the episode.  Any chance someone'll post it to YouTube?

Um, try BBC iPlayer. It should still be showing for a fair while yet.

Yup, 29 days after first broadcast

Unfortunately, only people who live in Great Britain can watch it on that Web site.  I live in the United States of America, so that leaves me out.

January 7, 2016 6:47 pm  #563

There are ways around it...
Ever tried a proxy?

"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

January 7, 2016 6:50 pm  #564

Quite.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 7, 2016 6:54 pm  #565

I also think it's out in it's entirety on Vimeo.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 7, 2016 7:15 pm  #566

Vhanja wrote:

Oh, that's awesome! Then perhaps it's time relevant.

Then again, is it something Holmes would do?

He could practice yoga only as a hatha-yoga (a set of physical techniques entirely stripped of their spiritual meaning), just as most Westerners practice it today.

Pranayama, the breathing technique he was practicing during a scene would help him to concentrate and to rid his mind of an unwanted, harrassing thoughts - in fact, it´s same effect as a cocaine has.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 7, 2016 7:21 pm  #567

See on the plane, Mycroft seemed to be trying to say that the MP is different to the drug use and I kind of agree.
Likewise, I think if somebody practises meditation, that's what they'll do.
I don't really think of drug users using meditation.
If they did, why would they need the drugs?
Although, in the cocaine scene...well actually when we are shown the hypodermic, is that when Sherlock is just about to use it?
Because he does seem to be trying to calm and centre himself, or at least focus...before that.

Last edited by besleybean (January 7, 2016 7:33 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 7, 2016 7:32 pm  #568

besleybean wrote:

See on the plane, Mycroft seemed to be trying to say that the MP is different to the drug use and I kind of agree.
Likewise, I think if somebody practises meditation, that's what they'll do.
I don't really think of drug users using meditation.
If thy did, why would they need the drugs?
Although, in the cocaine scene...well actually when we are shown the hypodermic, is that when Sherlock is just about to use it?
Because he does seem to be trying to calm and centre himself, or at least focus...before that.

He found the meditation ineffective on the problem at hand and so he used cocaine to enhance the brain activity that way.
I don´t think it´s besides him to use both things interchangeably.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 7, 2016 7:34 pm  #569

Indeed.

January 8, 2016 3:49 am  #570

Here's a fascinating question I just posted in another thread.

Why did Jim really shoot himself?

His stated reason is bogus
 — to prevent Sherlock from forcing him to call off the snipers.  He told Sherlock that nothing would stop them other than seeing Sherlock jump.  Jim just smiled and went along with Sherlock's tough talk about how he would be happy to "shake hands with you in hell", but we all know that's all it was.  Tough talk. 

Moriarty was more than capable of holding out long enough for the snipers to pass the time limit they must have been given before killing their three targets.

Therefore, there was really no reason for Moriarty to commit suicide
 — real or faked.

So . . . why did he do it? 

A good debate is like a fencing match — you don't have to win to get a good workout.

January 8, 2016 4:49 am  #571

Vhanja wrote:

Spiritualism was very popular in Victorian times. I just don't think they fit the character of Sherlock Holmes.

I agree that spiritualism was not something Sherlock would be interested in other than as the object of scientific investigation but I can certainly see him being interested in and practicing yoga.  Isn't he supposed to be familiar with various kinds of Eastern martial arts?  I would think that along with that comes an interest in the philosophical underpinnings of the different styles of martial arts.  So from there, it doesn't seem, to me, to be a huge leap to think that he'd be interested in another Eastern tradition of physical and mental fitness that goes back centuries.  And the breathing techniques associated with yoga would definitely help him focus his thoughts.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

January 8, 2016 7:08 am  #572

I want to second what you said, Sherli!

While I agree at first glance spiritualism is a long way away from what Sherlock stands for; yoga and meditation is good for clearing ones head. It would actually seem rational that he would have picked up on that given his already mentioned interest in Asian martial arts.

I don't have experiences with actual yoga bit with pilates and I found a peace there; the breathing techniques Especially was great for me.
I've meditated since high school.  I use a modern technique though using music. And I've always found I was ready to think clearer and faster after clearing my head.

So in a way, it could even be logical for Sherlock to practice these things

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (January 8, 2016 7:10 am)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 8, 2016 7:13 am  #573

besleybean wrote:

Mark and Steven have spoken about some of ACD's more unfortunate interests.

The Masonic Lodge of modern times is not unfortunate in the least.

January 8, 2016 7:15 am  #574

Vhanja wrote:

I don't find those interest unfortunate in the least when it comes to ACD. Spiritualism was very popular in Victorian times. I just don't think they fit the character of Sherlock Holmes.

Well, we've never been shown that he's aware of his own spirituality, that's for sure, not that I can think of anyway. There is a Bible on a shelf by the fireplace at 221B, but I presume it's there as an ordinary book, not as a spiritual guide.

January 8, 2016 7:18 am  #575

kgreen20 wrote:

Unfortunately, only people who live in Great Britain can watch it on that Web site.  I live in the United States of America, so that leaves me out.   

If you act quickly, you can see it on repeat broadcast on PBS on Sunday the 10th at 10PM ET.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/programs/episode/sherlock-the-abominable-bride/

January 8, 2016 7:21 am  #576

Thank you, Phantom Lady!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

January 8, 2016 9:30 am  #577

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

Vhanja wrote:

Spiritualism was very popular in Victorian times. I just don't think they fit the character of Sherlock Holmes.

I agree that spiritualism was not something Sherlock would be interested in other than as the object of scientific investigation but I can certainly see him being interested in and practicing yoga.  Isn't he supposed to be familiar with various kinds of Eastern martial arts?  I would think that along with that comes an interest in the philosophical underpinnings of the different styles of martial arts.  So from there, it doesn't seem, to me, to be a huge leap to think that he'd be interested in another Eastern tradition of physical and mental fitness that goes back centuries.  And the breathing techniques associated with yoga would definitely help him focus his thoughts.

Oh, yes, seconded, Shirli! What with him knowing baritsu (and possibly other martial arts?), it would indeed seem illogical that he weren't interested in yoga and meditation.

January 8, 2016 9:46 am  #578

ancientsgate wrote:

If you act quickly, you can see it on repeat broadcast on PBS on Sunday the 10th at 10PM ET.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/programs/episode/sherlock-the-abominable-bride/ 

Thanks, ancientsgate! Seems to work for the US only, but there might still be quite some people who benefit from it.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 8, 2016 10:12 am  #579

Yes, good points about Sherlock using yoga for it's physical and mental benefits.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 8, 2016 12:14 pm  #580

His use of meditation techniques could simply be derived from the canon. In The Adventure of the Empty House Watson tells us that Holmes spent time in Tibet. From the Baker Street Wikia:

After his defeat of Professor Moriarty, Sherlock Holmes decided to fake his own death in order to get away from the men pursuing him, and so decided to flee Europe. During this period he spent two years in Tibet under the guise of a Norwegian explorer named Sigerson. This included some time living in Lhasa, where he spent several days with the head Lama himself.

He then explains that he spent the next three years travelling to various parts of the world. Holmes says that initially, he travelled to Florence. From there, Holmes travelled to Tibet and wandered for two years, even attaining entry to Lhasa. Afterward, Holmes travelled incognito as a Norwegian explorer named Sigerson. Then, he went to Persia, with Holmes entering Mecca and then to a brief stopover in Khartoum.

Sounds like he was actually quite interested in spiritualism to some extent.

Last edited by ukaunz (January 8, 2016 12:15 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Board footera