BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 13, 2012 6:43 am  #1

Goyte

Ok, not the greatest thing to admit as an Aussie it seems, but I had no idea who this was,lol. I have read he has had success in Europe so maybe someone else may recognise him ( I have no idea, lol).
Anyway, I saw something about him in another site & looked him up. Being a Sting fanatic, I was really impressed with this guy. Very 'Sting/Peter Gabriel' sounding, how could you lose? lol
Here's his hit song :

I quite liked that. Anyway, he has been on Youtube looking at all the different versions people have uploaded of his song. So what else could he do? He made a remix using these videos. I think it's brilliant.

Here's what he wrote under it :

"Reluctant as I am to add to the mountain of interpretations of Somebody That I Used To Know seemingly taking over their own area of the internet, I couldn't resist the massive remixability that such a large, varied yet connected bundle of source material offered.

I was directly inspired here by Kutiman's Thru-You project:

‪http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tprMEs-zfQA‬

Wonderful stuff!

Thankyou to everyone who has responded to Somebody That I Used To Know via YouTube. It's truly amazing!

All audio and video in Somebodies is from the YouTube user videos featured, each of them a cover or parody of Somebody That I Used To Know. No extra sounds were added to the mix, but I used some EQ, filtering, pitch-shifting and time-stretching to make the music.

A full list of links to the original videos is available here:
‪
http://www.gotye.com/#blog.html

‬

I avoided using any existing remixes of the song, or any covers from tv talent shows.

As comprehensive and extensive as I tried to be with my downloading of source videos, I know there are many clips that I missed. Tay Zonday's cover for instance, no internet mashup should be without him."

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

August 13, 2012 2:05 pm  #2

Re: Goyte

Gotye had ENORMOUS success with this song in the UK. It was introduced by the DJ Zane Lowe (a Kiwi) on BBC Radio 1 and became a massive hit, making the number 1 spot. The video that goes with it is extraordinary. It does sound very influenced by Peter Gabriel doesn't it but I think that is a good thing. See...the Belgians do produce good things other than chocolates.

www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotye

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 14, 2012 12:17 am  #3

Hey, we positively claim Gotye as one of ours - many Australians were born overseas, and then go native down under

August 14, 2012 1:12 am  #4

Oh yes he's magnificent. I was introduced to him following his first album by my housemate. Glad to see him winning international accolades though. Apparently he's the first Australian for about 20 years to make number one in the US charts.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

August 14, 2012 4:41 am  #5

The Doctor wrote:

.................................., and then go native down under

Awkward.

That phrase means something different in my friends' circle.
*Looks down*
Sort of .. um....  the effect after making the decision to NOT have Brazilians anymore.
ERmm ... hmm.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

August 15, 2012 3:13 am  #6

OK, yes, the writing was a bit awkward. Still, you will have to ramp this up quite a bit if you seek to make a medic blush!

Last edited by The Doctor (August 15, 2012 3:15 am)

September 4, 2012 4:22 am  #7

"Somebody That I Used To Know" is HUGE here in the States. Incidentally, that song is currently playing on my Spotify. I love it. The rest of his music is decent as well.

***********************************************************************************************************************
In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey...you should see me in a crown...

Board footera