BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 21, 2014 9:58 am  #101

Re: Janine and...transport

I thought they covered this when Mary was beign interviewed as a client?
She joked with Sherlock about them both deliberatiely using Janine to get at CAM.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 21, 2014 10:08 am  #102

ah - makes more sense now. of course. even after six moths, still a lot of things to think about!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

June 21, 2014 12:28 pm  #103

Yes, apparently somewhere along the line before we meet her in the series, Mary must have become aware that CAM was "on" to her and she decided to get close to Janine in order to have an 'in' to his office and apartment so she could eventually kill him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

May 23, 2015 2:14 pm  #104

Criosdan wrote:

I laughed so hard at the Janine - thing. John's reaction was soooo wonderful.
And Janines visit in the hospital was great.

By the way: Am I strange when I would never have an engagement with anyone who wouldn't really have sex...

I'm 200% with you on all three points!  I loved John's reaction - though it probably mirrored my own. Actually, I first thought that Janine was all over Sherlock just to wind John up. Because at the end of her dancing lesson in TSOT, when Janine says: "I wish you weren't..." - I practically can hear "gay" before she continues: "whatever it is you are." Even assuming Janine did not bite off "gay" (after all, she wasn't there at Angelo's in episode 1) - doesn't that "whatever" show that she has at least some doubts? And is disregarding Sherlock as a potential partner?

Then, as pointed out several times in this thread, Sherlock and Janine never seem to have had sex together (I find it a bit strange, by the way, that Sherlock lets Janine stay in his flat on her own. I think that points to a longer and, in some respects, intimate enough relationship) - shouldn't any woman's alarm bells start ringing at that? Yet Janine is willing to let Sherlock into Magnussen's highly private and secret office to propose (and really - wouldn't a "normal" guy choose a more romatic setting?) - which would most probably get her into all sorts or trouble with her boss??? Doesn't really make sense to me...

May 23, 2015 2:32 pm  #105

I suspect that she gave him the information that Magnussen was out of the office, and it looks like Magnussen was sitting there allowing her to let Sherlock in (his seat is warm) - I think Sherlock's visit was expected (although probably the proposal wasn't). 

May 25, 2015 10:54 am  #106

I think you must be right, Liberty - though I really, really hate the idea that Janine was working with Magnussen. (Though I still wonder why she let him flick her face - what was he blackmailing her with? And why did that not stop her from selling the sex stories to his competitor?)

But what I had completely forgotten is that Janine heard Sherlock's speech at the wedding and knows his attitude towards marriage in general: "=10pt=10pt=11pt=10pt=10pt=11pt=10ptA wedding is, in my considered opinion, nothing short of a celebration of all that is false and specious and irrational and sentimental in this ailing and morally compromised world.
 Today we honour the death-watch beetle that is the doom of our society and, in time – one feels certain – our entire species."

Add to that a relationship without sex - maximum duration one month, probably less - why would Janine risk her job (assuming it would have been against Magnusson's will) by letting Sherlock into the office to propose? Doesn't make any sense, PAs generally are not idiots.
(However, I wouldn't put it past Janine to cheerfully accept the engagement ring in other circumstances - diamonds are a girl's best friends, after all...)

September 4, 2015 12:12 pm  #107

Some interesting observations about Janine:

http://cupidford.tumblr.com/post/128281490395/why-janine

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 4, 2016 9:48 am  #108

May I ask what the hell happened in the bathroom? That was a very convincing display, no wonder John believed it. However, IN the bathroom, how does Sherl fake the intimacy? It sort of sounded like they shared a bath, so he had to be naked, right?

I liked Janine, she was tons of fun and I enjoyed the recent cameo too, but this bathroom scene just doesn't add up.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 4, 2016 10:23 am  #109

We here giggling and splashing. I imagine some teasing, maybe a kiss or two: Then Sherlock might say something like "you can have the bathroom, I'm done now anyway" or something, to get out of it becoming too intimate.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 4, 2016 10:25 am  #110

I don't know if at some point they did share a bed to sleep in. Possibly.
I like to think that John's chair was moved into Sherlock's bedroom and that's where Sherlock slept!
We know that Sherlock was on occasion working all night.
Sherlock hadn't long been in the bathroom when Janine joined him.
Would he even have had time to fill the bath?  The water was definitely running.
She obviously at least gave him a snuggle...
We know they didn't actually have sex in their relationship...how far they got I don't know and actually don't want to think about!
What is clear, is that Sherlock wasn't really interested in her that way.

Last edited by besleybean (January 4, 2016 10:28 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 4, 2016 10:39 am  #111

Maybe he finished his shower by then? Altho he looked like he needed a bath in desinfectant after that drug den.

Either way, Sherlock must have been very ressourceful to both keep appearances and not allow things to progress. This is why I enjoyed the scenes with Janine a lot, even tho I went at first "what does she have what I don't!?" Lol

-----

January 4, 2016 10:45 am  #112

Well as the team say: Sherlock did well for his first girlfriend, he got the gorgeous one from the wedding!
I just think Janine was besotted with him and so put up with him.
She possibly liked him because he was different to her usual boyfriends.
Not wanting to be disloyal to the sisterhood, but she didn't exactly seem fussed about what man she was with...
She was lucky to spend that time with Sherlock!

January 4, 2016 11:34 am  #113

She was concerned about what man she was with - she got Sherlock to help her choose! 

January 4, 2016 11:44 am  #114

Sorry, maybe I was being a tad harsh.
Being so keen to have a boyfriend is something I've always found difficult to associate with!

January 4, 2016 11:54 am  #115

It also helped to flag up for Sherlock that she was available and interested.    Maybe that's what gave him the idea for his plan. 

It was nice to see her in the mind palace again, with Sherlock showing remorse (again - Moftiss really don't like that he deceived her!). 

My view of the bathroom scene is probably similar to Vhanja's. 

January 4, 2016 9:42 pm  #116

I too was glad to see her again. Love all the continuity maintenance Moftiss are doing *nod*

The thing that bugs me about the bathroom giggles is that Sherlock had to be naked when Janine came in, hadn't he? And she had no qualms barging in on him just so. I wonder how did he manage to be ok while naked around somebody at all while simultaneously not allowing Janine to take things too far *and* staying in character. Brilliant, as John would say!

-----

January 4, 2016 9:45 pm  #117

Well we assume he was naked...but then he has no qualms about going to Buck House in just a sheet!

January 4, 2016 10:50 pm  #118

besleybean wrote:

Well we assume he was naked...but then he has no qualms about going to Buck House in just a sheet!

Ok, how are we feeling about that? Lol
I suppose there was very little danger of anybody making a pass at him when in the palace. And he did have a very nice sheet, most of the time.

-----

Board footera