BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 3, 2016 7:05 pm  #4601

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

besleybean wrote:

I had another thought about the 'elopement' scene...
Was that Mark and Steven eventually pushing Johnlock off the cliff?!

So Moriarty symbolises Johnlock now?
LOL! Since when?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 3, 2016 7:06 pm  #4602

Because John pushes him over right after the 'elopement' scene.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 3, 2016 7:08 pm  #4603

Could also be a symbol that they free themselves from repression...

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

January 3, 2016 7:09 pm  #4604

They both push over the person symbolising Sherlock's deepest fears and insecurities. This is how I see it. And they are fine with it. Not eloping in secrecy but "There is always two of us." 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 3, 2016 7:10 pm  #4605

You mean right after John says Moriarty is impudent and Sherlock says elopement is 'offensive'?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 3, 2016 7:12 pm  #4606

Yes. Because elopement is something associated with secrecy and betrayal. Which they do not want anymore. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 3, 2016 7:14 pm  #4607

Ok, so when exactly do you see Sherlock and John getting together and how is it going to happen?
And actually, how are we going to even know it's happened?

January 3, 2016 7:16 pm  #4608

Erm, calling him "John" on the cliff? From what he says, repeatedly.

Watson's intervention "step away from my friend, I think he finds your attention a shade annoying" ?
It could just be gentlemanly behaviour, after all it was ingrained so deep in people's education, it must have had an influence. Hence the subtext "back off, he's mine", disguised as propriety.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

January 3, 2016 7:17 pm  #4609

When they finally will have realized that they function best together ( both), without secrets ( Sherlock), without striving for something beside not nearly as fulfilling (John), being exclusive for each other. At the falls it was a good beginning 

"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

January 3, 2016 7:19 pm  #4610

Yeah well, we'll see.

January 3, 2016 7:22 pm  #4611

besleybean wrote:

Because John pushes him over right after the 'elopement' scene.

For me, Moriarty and his role in TRF (which the waterfall is referencing) were what caused biggest rift in Johnlock (or alternatively, J+S friendship). 
And it´s that rift that was kicked over the edge in this scene.

Last edited by nakahara (January 3, 2016 7:23 pm)

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 3, 2016 7:24 pm  #4612

Yes to nakahara, Lily, and mrshouse. 

January 3, 2016 7:24 pm  #4613

@nakahara Really?
I honestly don't know the meaning of that scene.
I did wonder if Moriarty is still controlling Sherlock, either dead or alive...
So he metaphorically has to be pushed over the cliff, to release Sherlock from his fears.

Last edited by besleybean (January 3, 2016 7:25 pm)

January 3, 2016 7:28 pm  #4614

But....
His fears are very closely related to his relationship to Jihn, in which way ever you want to see it.

January 3, 2016 7:31 pm  #4615

In what way?
He's not afraid of John or for John...now.
All was resolved after Sherlock murdered, nay executed CAM.
He chose to pay the price of not seeing John again.
He's devastated by that, but there is no fear involved.
He and Mary kiss and John is officially handed over to her, with Sherlock's blessing.

January 3, 2016 7:37 pm  #4616

In what way?
You don't see that this show is about their relationship (we can consider it a friendship, that's not the main point), about changing through the influence of the significant other, of learning to deal with emotions, of getting a good man ( John also)?

January 3, 2016 7:42 pm  #4617

This is probably more for the friendship thread, but one thing I see in the Falls scene is that Sherlock gives Watson/John a chance to save him, which was something he denied him in TRF.  He made John watch him die, and left him with the guilt, grief and regret.    I know this doesn't translate to their "real life" and John doesn't know about it, but I think it meant something to Sherlock.  He sees John as a saviour - John even saves him right in the first episode.  I love that moment when John appears to rescue him.  (I just don't see Johnlock there - it's a different kind of love). 

January 3, 2016 7:42 pm  #4618

@ mrshouse Well most of that I can go along with...but I don't see any fears involved.
Sherlock was looking forward to coming back and continuing his life in Baker Street with John and them working together like before.
He was rudely awakened to the fact that this wasn't going to happen.
Once John got his head around  the situation, he eventually stars working with Sherlock again.
Sherlock misses John, now he's married and moved out.
But I certainly think he'll be happy to at least be returning to that situation...rather than be facing death abroad and alone.

Last edited by besleybean (January 3, 2016 7:43 pm)

January 11, 2016 2:31 pm  #4619

Finally someone put in words what I have been trying to say for years:

http://dmellieon.tumblr.com/post/137088356228/tjlc

January 11, 2016 3:30 pm  #4620

The trouble I have with that, is that I don't think that the only way for relationships to develop is to become sexual/romantic.  There are relationships which will never be sexual, no matter how close, intense or central to the story (family members, for instance, but friendships too).    If they want drama within the relationship, they can do it in various non-sexual ways - perceived betrayal, for instance.   Something dramatic like Sherlock having to kill Mary, or failing to protect the baby would affect their relationship.  (I'm not a storywriter - these are just wild ideas, but I'm sure Moftiss could come up with somethinb better).

I don't even feel canon Holmes/Watson really do move forward dramatically ... they carry on having adventures together, and their relationship is deep and enduring.    I feel that what Moftiss have done is add drama to the events maybe, make them affect their relationship more (the reunion after the hiatus, having Mary shoot Sherlock, etc.). 

Board footera