BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 3, 2016 12:07 am  #281

Re: The Abominable Bride (for those who have seen it)

Smarter and quicker.
Yes, that was annoying after a while.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 3, 2016 12:14 am  #282

Taking them down a peg is one thing... overpowering them in every aspect is another.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 3, 2016 12:26 am  #283

Swanpride wrote:

Yeah, I mean it is not like Sherlock just killed a man to protect Mary or anything like that...or that Mary needed his help to rescue John....she does all this on her own and never makes a mistake.

?

Sherlock killing Magnussen has nothing to do with Mary being a Mary Sue... why is it neccessary to mention it in this context?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 3, 2016 12:30 am  #284

We should slowly move to one of the Mary threads with this and go back to topic.... Just saying.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 3, 2016 12:31 am  #285

I wasn't missing it a bit. And I'm still not sure -as a woman who works and raises children!- if that is the way I want strong females to be seen.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

January 3, 2016 12:34 am  #286

The manner of speaking doesn't completely sound Victorian. That could (SHOULD) have led us to suspect that something was not quite right.

But then again, I'm certainly not an expert.

This comment is not meant as bad or anything. On the contrary, I find that it's a clever hint to what's really going on.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

January 3, 2016 12:50 am  #287

I am still of the opinion that Mary's hacking and the scene in the graveyard are firmly in the MP.  They are there to further illustrate Sherlock's fear of Mary not only taking John away from him but being more clever than even Mycroft.  

Remember, the majority of the episode is how Sherlock sees things.  No matter whether it's "overdramatic"  "exaggerated" or "Mary Sued"  For god's sake, look at what he did to Mycroft!  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 3, 2016 12:52 am  #288

I hoped my first commet on the Special would be different. I don't had time yet for giving a longer impression (maybe tomorrow hopefully). But there is one thing I have to get out of my chest. At the moment I have got the impression that it doesn't matter in which way Mary is in the show - she could stand in one corner without saying anything - people would still critizising it.
Don't get me wrong, I am not happy what Mofftiss did with her character in HLV either, I would have prefered her to be the nice normal women we got to know in TEH and TSoT. But the authors of the series decided to go another way and we will either have to accept that or stop watching. Please don't misunderstand me, I do not ask anyone to stop watching the show, I just wish... ask... beg that we in the fandom would stop to tear each other apart over a SIDE character (and I am fairly confidened that she will stay a side character).
I am not a fan of Irene Adler and SiB is far from my favorite episode. Molly has improved in series 3 but to me she is still a character I could most likely go without in the show. But of course I accept that other fans do like them and I wouldn't dare to run them down in such a way it happen at the moment with Mary.
I was so happy after watching TAB yesterday but after two years of Mary hatred and once again reading some of the comments here I... I don't know... I don't want to turn my back on this forum but I am so sad at the moment about the lack of tolerance and acceptance.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

January 3, 2016 1:20 am  #289

Swanpride wrote:

@stoertebecker Thanks for putting this in words...those were my feelings too, I was initially so elated about the episode and then suddenly the Mary nit-picking started again. I love your Kästner quote, btw, it's one of my favs.

Thank you. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

January 3, 2016 2:45 am  #290

nakahara wrote:

Some people noticed that the elephant in the room was broken during the Moriarty scene. Interesting.

But then the elephant in the room got back to being there when we're back in Victorian times, when John confronts him about his drug use '"Morphine or cocaine (...) you haven't left these rooms", 1:04:25

"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

January 3, 2016 2:50 am  #291

besleybean wrote:

@Lily...be my guest! 

Thank you

I have never stopped loving Sherlock either. But boy did the episode renew the flame!

January 3, 2016 2:54 am  #292

Oh, this is clever...

January 3, 2016 3:04 am  #293

Yitzock wrote:

Don't send anyone away.  I like Mary fine in this episode, nothing about her bothered me.  I know it's not what everyone thinks, so I don't mind not getting into it.  There really just isn't much to get into except I laughed.

Did anyone else noticed that Sherlock was playing the wedding song on the violin in the scene where he plays?

Agreed. Everyone has an opinion, and it should be quite shameful to fight over differences.That's what makes good discussions richer, in my opinion.

As for the wedding song, I did notice as well, and thought it was a very nice echo to TSoT...and that Sherlock is still mourning the loss of John.

January 3, 2016 4:42 am  #294

I haven't seen the episode myself, so I really don't have anything to add to this discussion as yet.  I just want to mention that I'm wondering if this one-shot Victorian special can really be expected to tide us over until Season 4 finally comes out.  From what I've read in the customer review section on Amazon.com, since filming won't begin until this coming spring, the Series 4 episodes are not going to come out until January, 2017, and that's a whole another year!

January 3, 2016 4:46 am  #295

mrshouse wrote:

the story of the bride started full of suspense but in the end the solution....well. I awaited it to be a bit more interesting. When the theories of the women from the match factories flooded the web I found that an interesting idea. Like that it felt a bit forced upon me, the topic of the women treated badly and with no vote. I think if that was an issue for Mofftiss it could have been done with a bit more build-up. It felt a bit out of the blue.

I also felt that the whole pagan-Druid-KKK scene came out of the blue. I actually sat there and thought, well, someone writing this has a women's rights agenda they wanted to put forward, and there it is. Made me scratch my head.

Hell, Moriarty was creepy. And I'm glad he's dead. That's it for him and as much as I loved him I'm happy he's not dragged along any more.

All of the Moriarty scenes were inside Sherlock's mind palace, so we could clearly see that as scary and weird as we thought M was back in the day, Sherlock had built him up in his mind to be even more so. Because this M put the old one to shame in the weird and wacky category. Ugh.

I loved the take on the Reichenbach fall! John coming to rescue Sherlock! Wonderful! And the classic fall after the jump from St. Barts! I feel, all of us might move along now from it!

Notice how quickly Moriarty kowtow'd when John came on the scene. Inside Sherlock's mind palace, Sherlock conjured up John-to-the-rescue. Good old John, who can always be depended on to arrive at the right moment and back Sherlock up. But besides that, Moriarty actually became quite meek and not very mouthy anymore, the instant John arrived. He allowed himself to be pushed into the abyss without so much as a peep or a struggle at all. Even the theatrical screaming seemed to not start until he was halfway to the bottom.

Mary. What I dreaded the most: everything swept under the rug and part of the inner circle of trust. After seeing her like that I see even less a future in the series for her. In every scene where she's involved she takes away from the two leads, that's the way I see it. And she's set up in a very unsympathetic light, stalking John at Baker Street and starting a domestic there. Even less sympathetic the plane scenes where just everybody is less smart and skilled than her. No thanks. The last we get to see is the " Better!" with a look that made me want to run away. Mofftiss, is that what a strong female character in2016 is for you? Double no. 

Yeah. I have never liked anything about her, not one thing, ever. When Sherlock saw her out on the street and all his descriptions of her were floating around her head in His Last Vow, one of the words that loomed large was LIAR. And that says it all for me. And although I know it's not AA's fault, I'm sure she's a perfectly good actress, but why oh why oh why did they ever cast Martin's RL partner in the role?  So jarring, so easy to get taken out of the story, just remembering that. I know others disagree, which is fine.

But if Solar is right and this is the set up for Mycroft dying and Mary taking the place of the superclever " England's government" that shall be my last day in fandom.

They better not do that, not unless they plan on having a few million new fans come alongside to pick up the support for the show as a lot of us old timers fall away in disgust. I don't think the Sherlock fandom will be forgiving of replacing or eliminating any of the major characters.

January 3, 2016 4:51 am  #296

SolarSystem wrote:

I have no idea why Mofftiss seem to think that giving us such a female character could mean an improvement for the show. Like you said, mrshouse, it takes away so much from what I fell in love with initially. If things continue like this, it'll be time for me to move on. Happened with "Doctor Who", might happen with "Sherlock" as well.  

Thank you to you and a couple of others for voicing this. I was too timid to be the first.  I thought this new episode was a right mess, to be honest. I do need to watch it again, if I can bear it, but....  to me, it was just a gobbledygook mishmash of all sorts of things, one from column A and one from column B, etc. Ah, well, any of us is free to use our off button on our TV remote any time we want. I hope I can stay interested until the next season rolls around in a couple of years. No promises to myself or anyone else about that. Just my two cents.

January 3, 2016 4:55 am  #297

kgreen20 wrote:

I haven't seen the episode myself, so I really don't have anything to add to this discussion as yet.  I just want to mention that I'm wondering if this one-shot Victorian special can really be expected to tide us over until Season 4 finally comes out.  From what I've read in the customer review section on Amazon.com, since filming won't begin until this coming spring, the Series 4 episodes are not going to come out until January, 2017, and that's a whole another year! 

Yes, this will be it until season 4 is released (what the Brits call series 4). And we already waited close to a couple of years for this thing we saw last night. Too long. It's really more than a bit silly, the waiting, and yes, I understand the whys of it, but it's silly anyway (to me).

I was disappointed, maybe stupidly so, but I admit it anyway, because I had heard TAB spoken of as "the Christmas special", and because I went into the viewing completely unspoiled, imagine my shock when it ended up being a Tales From the Crypt type Halloween story!  Dreadful.

January 3, 2016 5:00 am  #298

Vhanja wrote:

Yes, I noticed that he played the wedding song! That was quite cool - and perhaps some foreshadowing about the disintegration of the Watson marriage? 

Or perhaps just that Sherlock is still thinking about the marriage, the wedding day, etc, even months after it took place. Conflicted much?

January 3, 2016 5:03 am  #299

nakahara wrote:

Glad it´s not just me who feels that Mary was even more Mary Sue-ish here than in S3. Seriously, the moment she appeared around any other character, she reduced them to bumbling fools immediatelly.... John´s "Mary would take me home" was so over the top... every man in Mary´s vicinity must be symbolically castrated now to make her look cool?  

bwahahahaha!  Well said. Sherlock could use a couple new writers, and if one of them were female, that'd be nice, too. But in all fairness to the current writers, most authors don't know how to write strong women without making them OTT and as you say, castrating bitches.  Or worse, sex symbol Pretty Women with lots of hair, big boobs and only one thing on their minds.

January 3, 2016 7:44 am  #300

After reading all the posts here about what took place in the real present and what was just in Sherlock's mind palace, I keep having this niggling thought: What if the entire episode, all the action, every scene, was in his mind palace? 

Hear me out here!

There's a lot of discussion about when Sherlock took whatever drugs he took -- Was it on the plane or before???  No one knows.  But I have a theory, crazy though it seems.  I'm not sure I even believe it but, hey, it's just as bizarre as the special was. 

I'm thinking that Sherlock never got on the plane.  I'm thinking he's still in prison somewhere in England.  That he managed to get some drugs somehow and everything we saw in the special was his way of dealing with the fact that he is incarcerated somewhere because of what he did at the end of HLV.  That everything we saw him doing and thinking was wishful thinking on Sherlock's part.  None of it actually happened.  Maybe he's in his mind palace or high on something but it doesn't matter which.  The result is that he is looking back at his life through a filtered lens and the events we saw in the special are what Sherlock has magnified in his mind as being important.  It's his way of dealing with the predicament he is in. 

Moriarty is dead but he is not dead as long as he is stuck in Sherlock's mind.  "Miss me?" is Sherlock's brain saying he misses having the freedom to go and do whatever he wants whenever he wants.  The strong female thread throughout is just Sherlock acknowledging that he prefers dealing with strong and capable women to meek and malleable ones, and Mary is the epitome of that. 

I predict that Series 4, when it begins, will show Sherlock walking out of a dark and overbearing-looking building.  Mycroft will, ultimately, get him a pardon because he does always look after his little brother and can get Sherlock out of any and all his little fixes.

Hey, if this episode was all about Sherlock dreaming, I can, too, right?! 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

Board footera