BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 11, 2012 7:59 am  #1

Ben has fallen in love - Telegraph Interview

Benedict Cumberbatch returns in Parade's End - A world away from Sherlock Holmes, Benedict Cumberbatch's latest television role sees him playing a repressed civil servant

Benedict Cumberbatch has fallen in love with an overweight civil servant called Christopher. 'I am enamoured of his principles, his virtue and the goodness he stands for,' he says, grinning the wonky grin of the hopelessly smitten. 'I love him. I really do think that Christopher Tietjens is the character I'm most fond of ever having played.'

Good article, covers a whole range of topics. Interesting insights.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

August 11, 2012 8:18 am  #2

Re: Ben has fallen in love - Telegraph Interview

Just read it and found it very interesting!

Found this one, too - don't know if it's been posted, yet:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/parades-end-a-series-to-challenge-downton-8026636.html
EDIT: found it and put my post to the right thread. 

Last edited by Mattlocked (August 11, 2012 8:28 am)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 11, 2012 8:24 am  #3

Hm, when reading the last paragraphs I had take a deep breath. Of course he's deserved to get wonderful parts in big movies and all that, but … well … somehow I'd hoped he still would go on doing smaller things like CP or readings and all that stuff. Of course his day's only 24 hours long, but yet. On the other hand it's his own life and his decision.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 11, 2012 8:27 am  #4

Yep, posted in the Parade's End thread but I was considering posting it here too; so you've saved me the trouble.

It appears to be Ben's Publicity time with at least 3 new interviews recently. (check Parade's End thread for 3rd one)

As I alluded to over in the other thread, over the coming weeks we will find other articles in smaller publications etc that will just chop these interviews up into morsels & deliver them with dodgy pictures & pass them off as 'new interviews' lol.
*rolls eyes*

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

August 11, 2012 9:11 am  #5

Very good article, as always he has a lot of intelligent things to say. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 11, 2012 9:54 pm  #6

SusiGo wrote:

Hm, when reading the last paragraphs I had take a deep breath. Of course he's deserved to get wonderful parts in big movies and all that, but … well … somehow I'd hoped he still would go on doing smaller things like CP or readings and all that stuff. Of course his day's only 24 hours long, but yet. On the other hand it's his own life and his decision.

Same here. I found the end of the article depressing. Somehow I hoped that Ben would not get into "playing the game", and into "the right business model", but keep doing things big and small according to their quality and his desires. I still hope he will. And I  respect Clooney a great deal; he managed to cut though the "pretty boy" image and carve out an interesting career, in acting, directing and humanitarian work. But Ben does not need to cut through any images; he is an intellectual actor and he needs to be in theatre and in  best TV, as well as in movies. Or, rather, "I" need him to be in theatre, LOL. Oh well, time will show. I doubt he could "play Hollywood" for long and not get bored, so very, very bored.

August 12, 2012 7:40 am  #7

Hello everyone
Today I read a really long and in-depth interview of Benedict Cumberbatch here. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/9459441/Benedict-Cumberbatch-returns-in-Parades-End.html

Although I didn't like him mentioning that "Tietjens" is a character that he's most fond of ever having played, because I really wanted him to say that 'Sherlock' is the role that he's enjoyed doing the most, but I enjoyed reading the rest of the interview. Some new things to learn about him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look at those cheekbones, I could cut myself slapping that face… would you like me to try?

August 12, 2012 10:51 am  #8

Thanks for the great interview links - and congrats on a thread title that certainly would get everybody's attention... lol

August 12, 2012 11:39 am  #9

The Doctor wrote:

Thanks for the great interview links - and congrats on a thread title that certainly would get everybody's attention... lol

Hard to believe, but I have an evil streak that likes to taunt.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

August 13, 2012 1:47 am  #10

He also longs for a family of his own. 'I've been broody since I was 12, but I can't just get anyone pregnant, it has got to be the right person,' he says. I can't imagine he has much time to look these days. 'To find the right person? Oh well, there's always a way isn't there –and I don't mean the internet,' he adds, laughing. 'I mean there are always moments and meetings and chance encounters. But to make meaningful relationships is very hard at the moment. Also, I was in a very, very long relationship all through my twenties and early thirties [to The Thick of It actress Olivia Poulet], so I know about looking for the right one, I guess. And it's tough, it's tough.
From the Telegraph interview

This may be inappropriate as we don't usually delve into his personal life, so, moderators, please remove if necessary.

This paragraph makes me wonder why he and Olivia didn't have kids when they were together for more than 10 years. None of my business, I know.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

August 13, 2012 1:05 pm  #11

I don't think there is a problem with this as Benedict's interview is with a decent enough UK broadsheet newspaper and he would have been as circumspect as he needed to be in the interview. In the public domain as it were.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera