BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 12, 2015 6:32 pm  #21

Re: could Sherlock have fallen for Mary

Swanpride wrote:

I can't see Sherlock falling for anyone. He didn't even really fall for Irene Adler - she confused him and he was fascinated by her intellect, but I got the impression that she was more a riddle to solve for him than someone he loved. I think he feels more for Molly and whatever that is, it's not romantic love either. More respect for her feelings.
I think he already likes Mary as much as it is possible for him.

^^^This.

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

January 12, 2015 6:36 pm  #22

This sounds a bit like, "If you don't fall for Irene, you don't fall for any other woman either". So maybe looking at women he would fall for is the wrong approach ... Just saying.

But I agree with you. He likes Mary as much as is possible for him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 13, 2015 5:30 am  #23

Swanpride wrote:

No, but Irene is the character who is always presented as the one woman who matters to Holmes. She comes the closest to being a love interest in canon.

I honestly felt that Victor Trevor comes the closest to being a love interest for Holmes in canon.

Last edited by Schmiezi (January 13, 2015 5:30 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 13, 2015 6:48 am  #24

Sherlock genuinely likes Mary, which is why he doesn't listen to what his brain is telling him about her.
But the most important thing to Sherlock is that he accepts John loves Mary.
He protects Mary, for John's sake.

Last edited by besleybean (January 13, 2015 6:48 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 13, 2015 8:52 am  #25

I think he genuinally likes her as well. When John and Mary have their "little domestic", Sherlock is nothing but pushing John towards Mary, constantly. He never says one single thing against Mary. They even share a smile of understanding that makes John go "You two should have married!".

It mirrors TEH when John was furious at Sherlock. Mary did nothing but defend Sherlock and push John towards him. And when John is furious at Mary, Sherlock does the same.

Last edited by Vhanja (January 13, 2015 8:53 am)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 13, 2015 9:46 am  #26

Whether he likes her or not is not relevant for the topic of this thread 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 13, 2015 6:10 pm  #27

Okay to spell it out more  clearly for those who need it: no I don't think Sherlock fell in love with Mary, but he genuinely likes her.

Last edited by besleybean (January 13, 2015 6:11 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 13, 2015 6:22 pm  #28

besleybean wrote:

Okay to spell it out more  clearly for those who need it: no I don't think Sherlock fell in love with Mary, but he genuinely likes her.

Unless he's been acting since she shot him.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 13, 2015 6:26 pm  #29

I don't think he would fall in love with her either. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

March 23, 2015 10:26 am  #30

Unfortunately John thinks Sherlock fell for Mary.

Also an excerpt from another writing of the same person:

(from the Watsons domestic scene)

It’s important to note that this is the second time John has mentioned the idea of romance between Sherlock and Mary, the first time being when he assumed Sherlock had a crush on Mary because he said her name upon awakening. This situation must feel surreal to John: Mary shot Sherlock in the heart, and Sherlock is defending her and is about to go on to say that Mary actually saved his life. When John was jealous of Irene in A Scandal in Belgravia, remember that Irene had beat Sherlock and drugged him. The moment John gets really irritated is after the Bond Air deduction and Irene threatens to make Sherlock beg for mercy twice: John exits the flat and just leaves Sherlock alone to do whatever he wants with Irene. John seriously thought Sherlock has a thing for women who beat the shit out of him, so it’s actually not at all surprising that John thinks Sherlock has a thing for Mary now. Janine said in the papers that Sherlock was basically a sex maniac but John never saw him with anyone other than Irene, and John knows that Sherlock thinks love is a “human error,” so who the feck knows what kind of shit Sherlock needs to get his motor running. Mary may be one of the few people in the world that presses the right buttons for Sherlock, all because she shot him. Sherlock’s probably never had anyone go quite that far — she actually flatlined him — and apparently he can’t say a bad thing about the experience. He couldn’t get Irene Adler off his mind months after she fucked him over, either: one of the few displays of unquestionable sentiment John has ever seen from Sherlock was when he kept her phone even though the harddisk had been wiped. During a time when John was trying to figure Sherlock out sexually, this was John’s conclusion: apparently if a woman causes Sherlock enough grievous bodily and psychological harm, Sherlock pines after her.

If you’re John right now, that’s not only the only motive for Sherlock that makes any sense, it makes a LOT of sense. It’s absolutely twisted, but what else could possibly be going through Sherlock’s head?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Series arc of Sherlock | Clues to #johnlock being endgame | My fav Sherlock blog

March 24, 2015 12:20 am  #31

NatureNoHumansNo wrote:

But, did it cross someone else's mind that Sherlock fell for john's wife

My first thought was: "oh no, I think the hiatus is getting too long"
serious second thought: I don't think he did. mainly because I think he doesn't "fall" for people that way.

third thought: I'm amazed there is meta on it. I find it very unlikely, and yet it's fun to read interpretation on it.
fourth thought: "Shot through the heart and you're to blame. Darlin' you give love a bad name." (oh I'm really sorry but the song just won't leave my head now)

Last edited by Whisky (March 24, 2015 12:30 am)

"It is what it is."

March 24, 2015 9:38 am  #32

I would say that the woman Sherlock has shown the most interest in, and been the most relaxed and happy around, is Janine. Look at them in the wedding. I'm not saying Sherlock had romantic feelings for her, I don't think he did. I just think that is the closest we get to him actually enjoying himself around a woman.

Team Hudders!

March 24, 2015 9:44 am  #33

Yes, I would agree. That he tells her about the dancing is quite a proof of trust. And then throwing the boutonniere and looking at her because he hopes for a dance, quite sweet. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 24, 2015 9:49 am  #34

I definitely don't think he fell for Mary.

But seeing as the original question of the topic is "Could Sherlock have fallen for Mary?" The answer is, YES HE COULD.....IN AN ALTERNATE UNIVERSE.

There's a number of decent AU style fics where Sherlock and Mary are a couple.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 24, 2015 10:00 am  #35

Sorry, I love good AUs but this is too AU even for me. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 29, 2015 5:15 pm  #36

I have no idea how anyone could fall for someone who killed them, he only came back to life for John. That was one thing I didn't understand when I watched it the first time. Then I watched it in my own language and I still didn't understand it. Why anyone would even like Mary, I mean. She seemed to me to end up extremely unlikable.

March 29, 2015 6:06 pm  #37

I think there are plenty in this forum who agree with you on. The writers sure made sure she did not end up as a Mary Sue (no pun intended), but as a character in a pretty dark place on the grey scale. I’m looking forward to see if /how they are going to move her towards some lighter shades. 

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

December 31, 2015 8:13 am  #38

Everybody is in love with everybody in the fanon and there is support for all ships.

So really, Sherlock is in love with Mary, Molly, Janine, Irene, anybody you wish, even women! 

Although I like Mary, the same way I like Jim, I couldn't ship her and Sherlock, she's too parent-figur-y I think. They don't have that sort of chemistry, Mary is too dominant (although not the same way Irene is dominant) I don't like it, but Janine is a better female romantic candidate. I do like Janine, I just don't like the idea of Sherlock being romantic. 

December 31, 2015 8:26 am  #39

I honestly don't think it's presented to us that Sherlock falls for Mary...
But the 'official' handing over of John, well both at the wedding and on the tarmac, indicate to me that Sherlock accepts her.
They are alike, as acknowledged by John and Sherlock 'gets' Mary- more than John does.
I think he must like her, he kisses her and honestly think he would have done everything he could to drag John away, if he really didn't like her.

Board footera