BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 20, 2014 5:08 am  #1

Do we STILL Not Know?

Do we have reliable authority on which of the scenarios shown really happened? Or are they STILL tormenting us?

And, from Sherlock and John's conversation at the end, did he not really tell John? I thought that when the bomb was about to go off and they cut to the conversation with Anderson, THAT was going to be the real one, and that he was telling John.

January 20, 2014 10:22 am  #2

Re: Do we STILL Not Know?

I think we're to believe in that context that they are showing the audience what really happened but in the series universe, none of the supporting characters were told the truth.

Sherlock was in the train compartment fearing death & then feigning that he was fearing death after the timer stopped but there are still explosives all around them.

I'm still of the opinion that the conversation he had with Anderson was all in his head and that in the real world he didn't tell anybody asides from the people who already knew and had helped him to plan it.

Why wouldn't he wanna explain himself? Well partly because it's no longer relevant in terms of even John doesn't how anymore he just cares about why & partly because the truth is his last dance. If he just says it outright, people will go "oh was that it?" But if he waits until the last minute, when he's about to retire, he's still got one more amazing story up his sleeves.

Last edited by saturnR (January 20, 2014 10:30 am)

February 24, 2014 3:14 pm  #3

In the DVD extras, Moffat and Gatiss basically say that you can't believe any of the theories.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

February 24, 2014 3:43 pm  #4

Although in one of the extras the director of TEH also said they were now filming the "real" version of the fall, so who knows...

February 24, 2014 11:10 pm  #5

TeeJay wrote:

Although in one of the extras the director of TEH also said they were now filming the "real" version of the fall, so who knows...

You mean....stil to come for Season 4 or beyond?

December 28, 2015 4:29 am  #6

I proposed a solution about a year ago that involved asking Microft for help (the "uncharacteristic thing Sherlock did"), and having Mycroft provide a team of government agents and policemen to cordon off the street and be ready to execute the hoax. 

The laundry truck would  deliver an ordinary fireman's safety net, folded in half (as they're designed to do) and then sneak it out again.  The fake by-standers would assist Sherlock in playing dead with blood all over him, and the cyclist would knock John down so the fireman's safety net could be tossed back into the laundry truck before it drove away,

In short, a solid plan with much fewer things to go wrong.

Last edited by Bruce Cook (December 28, 2015 5:38 am)

A good debate is like a fencing match — you don't have to win to get a good workout.

March 8, 2016 6:27 pm  #7

I'm a bit late to this party, but it occurs to me that WHATEVER he/they did, it had to be subtle enough to not only fool John, but also fool the assassin lurking nearby.  After all, the signal to cancel the kills (of John, Mrs. Hudson and Lestrade) is Holmes killing himself.  So his suicide had to be convincing to more than just John's viewpoint.

March 8, 2016 6:41 pm  #8

Actually you may turn out not to be that late to the party...
There is a rumour that we may actually return to this in S4.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 9, 2016 2:09 pm  #9

Yeah there was all that 'fake' extra footage filmed...

---------------
It's not really a ship, it's more like a life raft.

Board footera