BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 20, 2015 12:35 pm  #4541

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

But hang on, we need to see things as a whole.
I always found canon SIB problematic as I could neither perceive nor accept Holmes having any strong feelings for Irene and the jury was firmly out on that one, for me.
I never wanted BBC Sherlock to cover the story, for the same reasons, but I knew they would- they just wouldn't pass on that chance.
I really didn't want to believe there was anything between Sherlock and Irene and I honestly could've gone with that right up to the end...and even then, I still find some of the Sherlock team's views hard to take. But the point is, they wrote an episode to show Sherlock dealing with love and it was Irene(The Woman) they chose.
But anyhow, regardless of what any of us think about that, Sherlock and Irene aren't together. Though obviously she's in hiding and Sherlock occasionally thinks of her...but only when relevant.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 20, 2015 12:55 pm  #4542

besleybean wrote:

But hang on, we need to see things as a whole.

Well, who doesn't?

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

December 20, 2015 12:59 pm  #4543

I wasn't saying anybody didn't.
Incidentally, communication is made very difficult if we can't say what we really feel or think.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 20, 2015 1:00 pm  #4544

I actually agree with you on this one.

"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

December 20, 2015 2:07 pm  #4545

besleybean wrote:

But of course BBC Sherlock is based on canon and Holmes and Watson do not end up together.

For a possible explanation why they did not "end up together" (at least not in a way that each and everybody can see it, in spite of the subtext), may I quote your own words:

That's because she was Victorian and cast in the role of all Victorian ladies.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 20, 2015 2:10 pm  #4546

Well they could have still been shown sharing digs at the end.
But they didn't.

December 20, 2015 2:24 pm  #4547

ACD and who could still have shown them sharing digs or what?

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 20, 2015 2:28 pm  #4548

Yes, ACD could have had Holmes and Watson still living together at they end.

December 20, 2015 2:33 pm  #4549

A love story does not need to have a happy end to be a love story.
Anyway, you gave a very good answer why it didn't happen to be shown as an explicit love story.
Because of the time and culture of those days.

December 20, 2015 2:39 pm  #4550

Either that or ACD just didn't want to write it as a love story.

December 20, 2015 3:27 pm  #4551

That's too easy since he didn't have the choice to write it explicitly as a love story.
But he put lots of allusions in it that would not have been necessary if he didn't have a love relationship in mind. Like certain key words for those who know the code. Nobody urgently needs Turkish Baths, shared bedrooms plus swelling buds in a detective novel.
And no, this is no request for explanations why they don't have to be Johnlock - the question is rather: Does the story work without these details? Would Sherlock Holmes still be a great detective without his and John Watson's weakness for isolated corners in Turkish Baths ?
And IF so, why are they still there, the buds, the baths, the bedrooms?

December 20, 2015 4:51 pm  #4552

But Turkish baths were all the rage and they are also good plot devices.
I can only assume that 2 male friends sharing a bed wasn't looked on then as some might today...personally I wouldn't think anything of it.

December 20, 2015 5:06 pm  #4553

Harriet wrote:

That's too easy since he didn't have the choice to write it explicitly as a love story.
But he put lots of allusions in it that would not have been necessary if he didn't have a love relationship in mind. Like certain key words for those who know the code. Nobody urgently needs Turkish Baths, shared bedrooms plus swelling buds in a detective novel.
And no, this is no request for explanations why they don't have to be Johnlock - the question is rather: Does the story work without these details? Would Sherlock Holmes still be a great detective without his and John Watson's weakness for isolated corners in Turkish Baths ?
And IF so, why are they still there, the buds, the baths, the bedrooms?

Good points, Harriet

December 20, 2015 5:15 pm  #4554

Another point: There are countless heterosexual love stories in films, books, opera, etc. in which couples have to overcome lots of obstacles, villains, jealousy, misunderstandings, intrigues, marriages to other people, whatever. Why, oh, why should in a same-sex love relationship everything be clear and open and easy from the beginning? 

Last edited by SusiGo (December 20, 2015 5:15 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 20, 2015 5:18 pm  #4555

No reason at all:
Except one of them appears straight and the other disinterested.
Gosh, people really think John does't know his own self.

December 20, 2015 5:21 pm  #4556

I think John does not know a lot of things about himself. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 20, 2015 5:22 pm  #4557

So he marries a woman he doesn't love when he really wants to be with Sherlock?

December 20, 2015 5:23 pm  #4558

Just for the record, I did not come to understand and accept that I was bisexual until my 30s.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 20, 2015 5:25 pm  #4559

He marries a woman who seems to promise a secure, normal life as opposed to what he had with Sherlock and what ended in heartbreak and felt betrayal. Which is, I think, quite an understandable reason to marry. And maybe he loves her. There are people who love both women and men. 

The tragedy is of course that being married to Mary is even worse than being betrayed by Sherlock. 

Thank you, tonnaree. 

Last edited by SusiGo (December 20, 2015 5:25 pm)

December 20, 2015 5:26 pm  #4560

Why?
And anyway, John obviously doesn't think so.
He's still married to her.

Board footera