BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 19, 2015 10:20 pm  #461

Re: Secret Santa Fic Exchange 2015

Mammals

I'm afraid I usually avoid fics with this subject but this one was fluffy and full of nice little details. Very well done.

December 19, 2015 10:22 pm  #462

Christmas is ForGiving

Again a subject I mostly avoid when reading fic but this story was very well executed throughout.

December 19, 2015 10:45 pm  #463

First I want to apologize for not commenting about any of the stories so far , the past couple of months have been busy and difficult, however now I finally have enough time to get cracking on reading everything that has been posted so far!! Squee! You can never have enough Sherlock fan fic after all *dances* 

-------------------------------------------------------

December 20, 2015 1:31 am  #464

The Advent Calendar

I loved this story. It humorous and well written, but I was most of all impressed by was the author's clear vision and description of Sherlock's mind palace. So fascinating! And the case... so detailed and well thought out, and that's one of the most difficult things to do. And woven in with that, the reference to Sherlock's 'coldness', and John disapproving of it.
As I was reading I wound myself thinking this story could totally be a fantastic plot for the actual show - I wish they'd gone for something like this instead of the Victorian!

Well done, author!

December 20, 2015 6:48 am  #465

I want to apologize for not reading "Molly Hooper's Last Boyfriend". Usually, I read everything posted here, even if it is not my cup of tea but that kind of character death fics is something I cannot stand reading.

I am sure that the author put lots of thoughts and talent into it and hope she'll get lots of comments on it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

December 20, 2015 6:58 am  #466

I've managed to catch 5 minutes to go on the forum and I definitely got to tell you how glad I am that everything's been sorted out regarding the Fics -and that we've a new participant :D

I haven't had time to comment on the most recent fics yet, as I am at a friend's -we had a Harry Potter Christmas Dinner. Over two days (and yes, I'll share pictures of the food, if you're interested).
Anyway, please do believe that I will comment as soon as I can (maybe later today

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

December 20, 2015 7:51 am  #467

Mammals

Oh I know how John feels at the beginning of the story. Thank you, dear author, for bringing back memories of the first months with my baby son. (It is true, btw, that babies eat more when you hold them close while bottle-feeding them.)

I love the way you portrait Sherlock and his relationship (if you can say so) with little Jasmine. He is so lovely and loving and still in character, I think.

Using the baby log to tell your story was a very good idea. You tell us a lot about how John feels without putting it into words. ("Sleep: 2 mins maybe?" "weight: not heavy enough") Only when reading your fic againdid I notice the point where the information "Mother: AWOL" is missing for the first time. What a good way to tell us that John has finally abandonned her in his mind.

Thank you for sharing this fic with us.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 20, 2015 8:12 am  #468

Christmas Is ForGiving
Wow, that was a very intense story. John is very dark here and so is his life at the beginning of your fic. I feel very sorry for him. Actually, when he broke down, thinking "It was all gone. Everything. The dream was gone." all I was thinking was "Good for you!!!"

Adding Harry was a nice touch. She ia playing a small but helpful role here.

(My son is waking up. Will continue later.)

Last edited by Schmiezi (December 20, 2015 8:13 am)

December 20, 2015 10:48 pm  #469

Mammals

I'm all warm and fuzzy inside... What a delightful, lovely story...
I'm not very much into parent!lock but I really, really don't mind when it's something as sweet as that
Thank you, unknown author!

"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

December 21, 2015 9:18 am  #470

(All) Good Things
I really really enjoyed that fic. Johnlock... it is for me anyway. But in the beginnig I wasn't sure if it would work for me. I still have problems to imagine John and Sherlock in their old days and as a couple. I don't know why. But that fic convinced  me. There was so much feeling in it... with the storyline, the flashbacks. Especially the scene with the first kiss makes me gasp.  
To cut a long story short... I love that fic.
Thank you, unknown author.

Of ships, horses, and trains or How idioms can go wrong
Venice! Always romatic. And a really good place to remove the scales from Sherlock's eyes.
Really enjoyed that fic, dear unknown author. Really good work.

And now something else...
I really admire you, who have that much inspiration to write long fics in such a short time. And I don't really want to offend anybody.
Well.. I will start reading that fics but if they don't catch me after a few pages I think I will stop again.
I don't have the time and quiet at the moment. Sorry for that but I thought honesty will be better than to put anybody off again and again.
Really think we should have a word limit next year.

Last edited by gently69 (December 21, 2015 9:21 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

December 21, 2015 12:37 pm  #471

A Long Road

Oh, where shall I start, dear unknown author? 

First let me tell you, I love this fic. It is just what I needed today - something warm and funny and heartfelt and positive. It is about love and friendship, forgiveness and helping each other without ever getting soppy. 

All of them are wonderful in character. The nightly trip to Ely on a snow-covered motorway with a drunk DI in the backseat and two friends in front trying to find each other again whilst saving Mrs Hudson from Ely Cathedral and her abominable sister! Yeah, this is wonderful.

The scene with Sherlock and John talking about Serbia was beautifully subdued, the horror just being alluded to. 

And please let me add something blasphemous (as much as I love series 3) - I would not mind if the writers had gone for this in TEH instead of what we got. Your story let me imagine another outcome, a series 3 without Moriarty, Mary, and Magnussen, or, to say it with Sherlock: "What a tender world that would be."

Thank you, dear unknown author, you have made me very happy. 

Last edited by SusiGo (December 21, 2015 2:48 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 21, 2015 2:42 pm  #472

Christmas Is ForGiving

An angsty piece of work in which John's unhappiness is made extremely clear. A time of year he has been shown to enjoy has turned into a nightmare, trapped as he is in normality.
A daughter with whom he can't bond or bring himself to care for as much as he should...
A very unhappy marriage...
This story is full of paradoxes. The biggest of which is, to me, the fact that Harry, a not-so-reformed alcoholic (from what the series tells us anyway) helps John out of his temporary alcohol drinking. Indirectly, agreed, but still. That, and Sherlock saying "it's Christmas" in its actual meaning
I liked the story very much, and the conclusion is very hopeful.
Thank you, unknown author!

December 21, 2015 3:38 pm  #473

Molly Hooper's Last Boyfriend

Christ, that was...that was angsty for sure! I really liked the dynamic of the boys you portrayed, very in character, I should think. Good thing the Woman and the British Government were involved as well. Apparently it's good to have 'enemies', isn't it? So much action in this, so much tension...!
Oh, wow, thanks for such a thrilling read...!

December 21, 2015 9:35 pm  #474

O Soave Fanciulla 
Veeery long but also a very satisfying, incredible Johnlock case fic. I admire the way in which you used the prompt, dear unknown author, because it gave a dynamic start to your story and then immediately sucked us into action, when a shooting drama started to unravel. Also, I really like how you mix perfect Johnlock with your action. When John and Sherlock slipped on ice and ended in a compromising position behind the bins, I had to fan myself – my PC screen almost burst into the flames. (I wonder why John feared about frostbite – the frostbite was never any possibility in that hot setting). 

And then you gave us the “The Three Garridebs” moment! Squeee! I loved every minute of it!

The case itself was cool, but for me this was first and foremost a story about John Watson, about his confusion, his feelings, his hesitation and his tentative slide into love proudly admitted and lived. His stream of consciousness unraveled dramatically in front of us and lead to the most beautiful conclusion one could imagine. And Sherlock as seen through his eyes, the man stubborn, but ultimately sweet-hearted and tender, although very insecure, was a thing to love indeed. That touch with “The John Watson Foundation” was sooo romantic. And the sweet mutual confession that followed… aaaah! 
 It certainly cost you sweat and tears to write the story this long but the result was fantastic. Thank you for this wonderful Christmas treat, dear author!   

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 21, 2015 9:36 pm  #475

A Long Road

Like a gem shining through murky waters, your story made this misty, rainy, unpleasant day shine with colorful Christmassy light and the warmth emitted from your words sent all that unpleasantness far, far away, dear author.

The structure of this story was so interesting and so moving at the same time – it was great how we started with Sherlock abandoned and dejected, willing to immerse himself in the darkness during Christmas and yet, with the appearance of Lestrade and John, every scene was flooded with a cosy, friendly, deeply emotional atmosphere. The quest after Mrs. Hudson trapped in a strange place during a snow storm reminded me of a good road movie and was rife with many personal revelations, dark secrets, whispered confessions and ultimate bonding of our beloved characters. It takes a master to convey so much meaning and such beautiful action with such lightness and sureness of hand – and you have managed it beautifully, dear unknown author. The subtlety with which you revealed the truth about Sherlock´s torture or enlightened the feelings of Lestrade, John and Mrs. Hudson to us was a thing to behold. Still, you left no doubt in my mind that our four beloved characters are one big, crazy, unusual, but closely-knit family and that they are all connected by deepest love and admiration and I thank you for that. My heart just swelled in delight and warmth when I got to the end.

And kudos to your Sherlock and John. The felt very real to me – a men of no big words, trying to keep their emotions secret and yet so expressive in their every action… marvelous characterization.

A story that you wish never to end. Snug as a warm nest near the fire-place and remedial when your heart is sick, like a magical medicine.  

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 22, 2015 2:19 pm  #476

And When All is Said and Done, Only the Tardis Can Hear You Weep 

Oh dear, the feels in this... that brought me back to 9's regeneration to 10... Oh, the good times he and Rose had...Obviously, Sherlock and the Doctor will have very good times, as well. I like that.
"I don't shave for Sherlock Holmes!"
"You'll do so much more than shave for Sherlock Holmes"

Sherlock's reply sounds so much in character...!

Thank you, unknown author! For a fic written in emergency, I think you deserve praising!

December 22, 2015 2:31 pm  #477

O
h, my, what a lovely and sad little crossover. This was a bit like Reichenbach Reversed. But the good thing is that the Doctor never dies and that the companions always adjust sooner or later and get to love the new incarnation. 
And such a wonderful and generous gesture to write for someone who was in danger of not getting a fic. Thank you very much, dear unknown author. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 22, 2015 2:51 pm  #478

A Long Road

What a nice metaphor for forgiveness...No matter which side you stand on, be it that of the forgiver or the repentant, it certainly is not an quick and easy voyage.
I really liked drunk!Lestrade, he was hilarious, yessir!
I liked how their trip ended in a all's well that ends well place...a very common theme at this time of year, and with the last several fics -let me just stress that there is NOTHING wrong with that at all, nor will there ever be- that is something to be appreciated.
Thank you, unknown author

December 22, 2015 4:10 pm  #479

You are a lucky person, NotYourHouskeeperDear. To have such an unexpected gift from a talented author who was able to write a beautiful story on such a short notice is certainly wonderful.
This was an intriguing crossover, dear author. The way you blended Doctor with Sherlock brought me a big surprise at the beginning, the bitter-sweet nostalgia in the middle and the heartbreak at the end of your story. Very sad how our heroes were forced to part again, this time forever. But there was something nice amids all that sadeness, the realisation that the adventures connecting Sherlock and John were real and deep and that they will not be lost together with John´s form - and that made the pain of the heart bearable. Who needs a heart anyway, huh?

Last edited by nakahara (December 22, 2015 4:11 pm)

December 23, 2015 10:10 pm  #480

Playing it Close

After so much darkness in the previous days, finally an uplifting, nice story that breathes goodwill, fun and harmony. A gem with a convincingly insecure, but adorable Sherlock, happy John who finds his sunny-disposition at last and a wonderfully supportive Harry. I adored their characterisation here and I loved every single scene of this tale. Sherlock´s panic attack at the concert and the consequent John´s and Harry´s protective behaviour, reminiscences of John´s wooing and many lovely revelations about John´s past... it was all so beautifully written, so relatable, so humane that I found it hard to stop reading after the story ended. I wanted to be captured in this world for a bit longer....

I must praise you for the charm you endowed your words with, dear author and also for your originality. For you decided to swim against the flow and instead of scaring us with pictures of the war and trauma hidden in John´s past, you decided to give us an enchanting world of music instead and to give John this most amazing hobby, singing.... I relished this new take on John in abandon and I must say, it suited him just fine. Harry was also a very comfy character, a big sister in a true meaning of the word. And a patient, introspective Sherlock, on a brink of the change in his new relationship was very cute without being pictured as the whining child, you managed to keep his dignity and uniqueness intact. The Johnlock in the bacground of your story was tender and sweet to the utmost. I´d wish John in the actual series was so bold and so uncomplicated as your take on him. But a girl can dream...

A lovely present shortly before Christmas Eve, little, but so precious. Thank you, dear unknown author, for giving us this warm-hearted surprise. 

Board footera