BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 16, 2015 10:06 am  #421

Re: Secret Santa Fic Exchange 2015

For bold and italics use: [ b ] and [ /b ] and [ i ]  and [ /i ] without the spaces.

With open office you don't have to save in .odt you can also save in .doc and that surely goes into the converter.

I don't exactly know what your problem is but when you convert, your converted file goes into downloads (at least it does to mine). It's the same name as your original file, but then with .html at the end. When you open it, you just see your text, with a slightly different formatting, but you don't see the html. That's fine, just use that text to copy paste into the bbcode converter and check whether the bold and italics work. 

I also volumteer for writing something for the two people who are now without a fic. 

December 16, 2015 10:18 am  #422

silverblaze wrote:

For bold and italics use: [ b ] and [ /b ] and [ i ]  and [ /i ] without the spaces.

With open office you don't have to save in .odt you can also save in .doc and that surely goes into the converter.

I don't exactly know what your problem is but when you convert, your converted file goes into downloads (at least it does to mine). It's the same name as your original file, but then with .html at the end. When you open it, you just see your text, with a slightly different formatting, but you don't see the html. That's fine, just use that text to copy paste into the bbcode converter and check whether the bold and italics work. 
I also volumteer for writing something for the two people who are now without a fic. 

I actually tried to keep it simple-- no bolds, no italics. When I copy pasted all the words ran together, no spacing. I tried formatting-- that didn't work either. 

Last edited by RavenMorganLeigh (December 16, 2015 10:18 am)

December 16, 2015 10:35 am  #423

Well, apparently I'm an idiot. I would like to send my story to the one it's meant for--- so, I'm going to post it to AO3, and send y'all a link. And I'm more than willing to send it via Open Office Doc to whomever. Off to bed. 

December 16, 2015 10:38 am  #424

But the formatting on the html file is normal? Did you use the converter? Because last year we had a similar problem and the two step method was the solution. Saving it in html with the text editor doesn't work for some reason. 

Maybe you could search for another converter. Or one to convert to docx and then use this one for html. 

December 16, 2015 10:55 am  #425

If there are no italics and stuff, just send me the document. I am also using open office and it worked out just fine. :-)

And thanks to everyone for your help offers and lovely words. <3

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

December 16, 2015 10:56 am  #426

As far as I know you can save a document in Open Office also as a doc. version (Word). If the problem is that an Open Office doc isn't accepted by the html converter.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

December 16, 2015 1:03 pm  #427

Jam tomorrow?
What a clever little story. Interesting to link everything to fook and cooking and use the cooking as a framing device. It's also really nice to read a johnlock story that isn't super sentimental; this feels more grown up and more IC in a way. Funny that Sherlock spent the whole story preparng a meal that no one ate. 

Play H for murder
What a great title! Sherlock 'deducing' Polonius' death made me laugh. And then you twisted it into a real muder! What a smart thing to do. Wonderful how you mislead us with the case and how Holmes' conclusion turns everything on its head again. Every turn was a new surprise, well done. It's also interesting how the real murder reflects the murder in the play, as Polonius was also killed by accident because Hamlet believed he was Claudius, the real murderer. 
Surely the 'close friendship' is more a friends with benefits situation.  Also a very original take on johnlock.

December 16, 2015 1:20 pm  #428

Play H for murder

Victorian!lock is a thing this Christmas and no surprise, it allows the writers to really let their imagination run into surprising directions. Just as it´s in this lovely fic.

I loved the idea of connecting Sherlock with the Hamlet play via the foul business of murder. Sherlock chatting out and deducing during a play and making other spectators „happy“ that way was genuinely funny and it was intriguing how this light situation suddenly turned into murder. And such a dramatic murder as well! Sherlock´s delight over it was once again hilarious and IC and I quite amused myself over his scenes of investigation.

Watson´s serious nature was a delight in this, he was such a reliable and loyal Sherlock´s helper and support and it was actually him who collected most of the evidence. And I absolutely adored Sherlock´s characterisation as a workaholic who is incredibly horny every time he has a free moment for himself. Hmmm... I won´t be able to look at the word „breakfast“ in the same manner from now on. But the relationship of both men was tender and sweet all the way and warmed my heart immensely.

And the conclusion of the case was so moving. In a way, Samuel really was Hamlet here, avenging his father, but being mislead and killing Polonius both in a literal and a metaphorical sense. I was so sorry for him.

Sweetness, humour and sympathy packed into one parcel by the skillful hand. Thank you for a very good read, dear unknown author.  

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 16, 2015 3:18 pm  #429

One thing I liked about Play H for Murder was its length. We've had some good long stories this month, don't get me wrong, but it was nice to take a break with something shorter.

Despite not being a Johnlocker, I couldn't help but find the leadup to that kiss sweet.

The case in this one was also creative.

Last edited by Yitzock (December 16, 2015 3:19 pm)

Clueing for looks.

December 16, 2015 4:06 pm  #430

Schmiezi wrote:

If there are no italics and stuff, just send me the document. I am also using open office and it worked out just fine. :-)

And thanks to everyone for your help offers and lovely words. <3

Do you want to send me an email to send the doc to?

December 16, 2015 4:41 pm  #431

Play H for Murder

Wow, that was a Special/Hamlet inspired story! Clever how you use the real murder in the play that should be a fake murder but is revealed to be a real one. And the end is quite tragic, poor Samuel. I really hope he will be treated mercifully by the authorities. Also kudos for the Agatha Christie like idea of assembling the suspects in the theatre. 

As for the Johnlock aspect - nice touch to show them in an established albeit secret relationship. We get little hints like the "activity", the use of first names and the casual way of sharing a bed. And of course the sudden and unexpected declaration of love. 

A lovely read, dear unknown author, that brought back lovely memories of Barbican in September. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 16, 2015 8:19 pm  #432

I'm very sorry to read people aren't responding to Schmiezi's emails for it leads to extra work for her. (I can imagine the one who got me couldn't make head or tail of my request so I wouldn't worry if I'm one of the persons who doesn't get a fic, Schmiezi. It's all right.) Thank you for putting in all the hard work. Of course it's nice to get a fic but the fun part is also to write something to the best of your abilities. If someone gets cold feet at the last minute that's a pity but also understandable I think for we're all only human.

Last edited by dioscureantwins (December 16, 2015 8:31 pm)

December 16, 2015 8:22 pm  #433

Play H for murder.

I loved Holmes' commentary on the play. I always think it's fun if Sherlock comments on popular culture. And of course he would be excited when there's an actual murder on-stage. The accident that incited the crime was a chilling reminder of morals in that world, and sadly ours as well. All in all a truly excellent fic.

December 16, 2015 8:24 pm  #434

Jam tomorrow.

Haha. Sherlock is of course an excellent chemist but somehow in my imagination cooking is simply beyond him. He appears so disinterested in food in the series and I always think loving food is a prerogative for being a good cook. So this was an interesting exploration for me. Somehow I'm feeling sorry for Victor Trevor though.

December 16, 2015 8:33 pm  #435

Hover through the fog.

What a beautifully crafted fic. It reads more like poetry than prose. Very atmospheric throughout.

December 16, 2015 9:07 pm  #436

Just to get back. If we're dividing prompts: I can't really do fanart or poetry, but I could do like a small ficlet or something. 

December 16, 2015 11:30 pm  #437

Play H for Murder

Thank you, thank you, unknown author for this present! I really loved the setting of the case -theatre? Hamlet? Oh my dear
Let me reassure you about the points you've chosen from my list : you did marvelously well.
I am absolutely not surprised that Sherlock would not know of Hamlet -too trivial, like you said. Might also be a bit of boycott on Sherlock's part -another genius? Unthinkable!
The case you've offered here was really original, I liked it very much - the fact that the murderer had no idea that he was about to commit murder, and the whole reason behind it...simple and elegant.
I also liked that you chose to concentrate on the case in the theatre, in the play  (I don't think I will recover any time soon, it is really perfect) rather than other aspects -but that were referred to often enough so as not to be forgotten.
Thank you, unknown author, for an original Victorian murder case in Hamlet.
*faints*

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

December 16, 2015 11:36 pm  #438

To get back on the missing fics, I'm willing to write just about anything -poem, ficlet, fic (not 10k, though^^...Who knows, unless the Muse guides me )...
Unfortunately, I cannot propose to do any fan-art for my skills are appalling.
Let me know!

"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

December 16, 2015 11:54 pm  #439

Jam tomorrow?

What a clever explanation to Sherlock's cooking -John must hold a very special place indeed if he cooks for him! I have to admit though, that when you started talking about the cauliflower being Victor's favourite, to have been scared he was cooking for Victor and not John -although I don't have anything against Victor, I cannot envision Serlock in a relationship with anyone else. And I believed that until we knew who climbed up the stairs and knocked on the door.
Oh, that line, that hopeful, naughty line...one thing's certain, I will never see mousse au chocolate in quite the same way

Thank you, unknown author, for a nice reading experience -that wetted my appetite

Last edited by Lilythiell (December 16, 2015 11:55 pm)

December 17, 2015 3:39 am  #440

I am sorry about not being able to comment. I confess that I've been swamped with exams and schoolwork for a while, every single week... If anyone's familiar with the IB diploma program, you know what I'm talking about I'll be able to read and comment over break, and I wouldn't dare not leave a comment on the fic written for me. That would have been heartbreaking to me; I can't imagine doing it to someone else. 

Winter break starts on Saturday. After I catch my breath from Star Wars (hehe), I'd be happy to contribute to the collective missing prompts via fanart or another fic. 

Board footera