BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 14, 2015 1:44 pm  #361

Re: Secret Santa Fic Exchange 2015

I'm aware that not all of us here are into Doctor Who, but I feel I have to point out there is an episode back in series 7b that features its concept

I'm very, very sorry for not catching up earlier...But I've finally caught up, and I'll do my best not to take that much time to read and comment in the future.

Of ships, horses, and trains or How idioms can go wrong

This one is hilarious! Sherlock begging to watch Doctor Who? And George’s misunderstanding of what those films are?
“A cake of your choice.” Haha, so typical of Sherlock, that kind of line! That one as well… “You have always made it very clear that you are not gay and don’t want to share a bed with me." Tough.
I really liked the misunderstanding between the two of them, throughout the story…and quite glad that it was resolved in the end.
Nice touch the link to the hotel.
Now, as for the little quiz at the end, I wouldn’t even dare to guess because I don’t know anything when it comes to movies, but I thought that a nice touch as well.
Thank you, unknown author

Sherlock Holmes and the Adventure of the Body Snatchers

Very interesting start, brilliant descriptions, full of metaphors – oh I loved those!– and humour. I really liked how you described the consequences of Sherlock being bored.
I liked your idea of homeless people disappearing off the streets –and no one caring about that, apart from Bill, and Sherlock, obviously.
A shame that officials should know about it when someone “more important” disappeared as well.
And that car chase…! You had me gripping the edge of my set, there! Well done, unknown author for making this very visual J And for the accuracy of it –loved the details.
The snatchers, though…Harry Potter reference? I’m so lame at pop culture…
Sherlock impersonating posh people…I can so see him do that. And being better at anything Mycroft happens to do. Including golf. All this is so very in character!
That case…ghastly indeed…no wonder Sherlock and Mycroft are touched.

Thank you, dear unknown author, for such a detailed and eventful story

Of Christmas, love, and Lego dragons

Aww.
Yes, I know, it’s really not elaborate. But…aww
Such tenderness in this…quite a big sacrifice on Sherlock’s part (well, Christmas!), such acceptance on John’s –even though Sherlock’s a ‘bit not good’…such love on both their parts. Sweeeet.

Oratorio in D-death

This fic is bittersweet pretty much until the end…Nice. Another example of Sherlock’s love for John, of whom he’s willing to let go. Again.
I loved the snow-globe gift, so telling.
To be honest, I’m really glad there was no John-and-Mary-getting-married-again. That would have been too much to handle, if you consider the feelings it would have brought about. The mere idea of it was tough enough, and as such, I’m very pleased with the ending you gave to the story. New Year’s fireworks? Sherlock? Romancing John, isn’t he?

Last edited by Lilythiell (December 14, 2015 1:47 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

December 14, 2015 2:21 pm  #362

Hover Through the Fog

I have no words. I will find them, I promise, but for now... All I can say is thank you. Really, it was a beautiful piece of work.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

December 14, 2015 3:29 pm  #363

Hover Through The Fog

Wow, what an unusual fic! The Macbeth quote should have forewarned me that something a slightly magical was to come. Beautiful, beautiful style. And the constant change between different periods of time/ narrative levels without ever giving a definite, clear-cut explanation was fascinating. It really was if there was a fog that revealed some things while others were kept hidden. And using the shard of the mirror and the pocket watch as doors into the past, lovely idea. And the fulfillment of their love in there here and now, represented by 221B, and thereby them freeing themselves from the old tale, represented by the Sussex cottage, was wonderful. 

Thank you very much, dear unknown author, for this extraordinary read. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 14, 2015 6:11 pm  #364

Oratorio in D-death
Another casefic! I liked the way the classical music references brought a certain atmosphere to this story. Clever to use David again, always wonderful to see the side characters make a return in a story.  

Hover through the fog
What a peculiar story, we haven't seen this kind of 'train of thought' like narrative style before. It gives the story a dream-like quality,and it's a bit eery at the same time. I thought I recognised something from Macbeth, thanks Susi for confirming that. The reference gives a creepy sense of foreboding; something doesn't seem right but it's never entirely clear what it is. I must say i lost track of the timeline a bit, probably also because I was reading it in my lunch bread on my smartphone, but I think this story was more about the experience and the language anyway. 

What a wonderful diversity we have this year. 

December 14, 2015 11:07 pm  #365

Oratorio in D-death

I´m delighted that this year is so rich in Johnlock-coloured case fics and that this is another very skillfuly written, captivating fanfiction created in this style.

Althrough not overly long, this case-fic sports an interesting structure of two cases mixed together in an intriguing way and blended into a nice concoction with a Johnlock story. I very much enjoyed this composition of the tale because it made every moment of the story interesting. The music motive underlining the narrative was a good idea, personally, I had a slightly magical feeling from this story thanks to it.

Similarily, every character, but especially Sherlock and John, had a poignant, faithful, soul-stirring aura around themselves, from the introductionary scene of examination of the body, to a final tender scene of John´s and Sherlock´s beautiful reunion. Sherlock´s magnanimous nature almost brought me to tears, when he agreed to be John´s best man again, I nearly lost it (but in a good way). Very nostalgic and very lovely scene, indeed. Mary, althrough I don´t like her much in the show, was suprisingly engaging here, very cold-blooded and controlled, but also desperate enough to try to get rid of David. I even felt a bit sorry for her again here. Her method of murder was appropriately devilish, though. David, on the other hand, was a very convincing portrayal of a despicable, slimy, „banal“ evil that can be more harmful and cruel that the evil of the „masterminds“. I loved it that you were original enough to let him survive at the end.

And no one can praise that sweet, lovely Johnlocky ending enough. Just what I ordered for Christmas, thank you, dear author.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 14, 2015 11:30 pm  #366

Hover through the fog

Wow, what a fic. Most fic are written on a PC using a keyboard, but this story feels as if it was scribed with a blood of the heart on a parchment of the soul. It´s so powerful!

Very original writing style and such a whirlwind of angst that one feels as if his innards were torn apart while reading it. Incredible outpour of Sherlock´s and John´s emotions which feels chillingly real. A true masterpiece. (And because I´m a sucker for Reichenbach-stories, kudos also for a very satisfying tale of that type).

The metaphysical subplot concerning the paranormal reality connected to John and our dear detective through their wizardly pocket watch and mirror-shard was a unique, but a very fascinating touch. It was interesting to realise that our heroes exist in a few parallel realities that may come true or may collapse into a disaster. And althrough a big shadow of a tragedy was implied to hang over our heroes, I loved it that the story ended in a realistic, but still warm-hearted happy-end.

Great, thoroughly worthwhile read, really. Glad to be enriched by your exceptional storytelling, dear author – but spare my heart next time, I´m not sure I could bear such an emotional roller-coaster unscathed again.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 15, 2015 1:04 am  #367

This is a thank you to all the Santa fic writers. Thank you for sharing your stories with us. You are creative and talented and amazing and brave

I haven't read very many of them yet, but I do plan to get through them all eventually, and to comment on each one even though I'm crap at it (I'm not very good at putting feelings into words! ) I do want to give my support and encouragement, and I know that commenting is the best way to do this

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 15, 2015 2:35 am  #368

I'm hesitant to comment, since omitting any story would potentially reveal which one was mine XD. I'll post individual comments when the exchange is over, but I would like to applaud everyone whose stories have been posted so far. I also am very glad to see how many of them have, at the very least, Johnlock undertones Your writing is superb this year! I blame the swiftly approaching break in the hiatus for our sudden influx of creativity, and I smell the Victorian!lock! I'm so glad to have been a part of this, and I can't wait to let you know what I thought about each of your stories. They're all so fantastic–especially considering the time commitment that went into sharing every carefully chosen word. Thank you, thank you, thank you! 

December 15, 2015 3:02 am  #369

Oh, that raises a question for me as I am not participating in the Santa fic exchange as a writer; are the authors going to be revealed at the end, or do they choose whether or not to remain anon? Just wondering

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 15, 2015 3:13 am  #370

If memory serves me correctly, Schmiezi will post the names of the authors at the end of the exchange on the Fic thread. 

December 15, 2015 6:07 am  #371

BreathingIsBoring wrote:

If memory serves me correctly, Schmiezi will post the names of the authors at the end of the exchange on the Fic thread. 

Exactly.

I am so glad to hear that other forum members read our fics a s well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

December 15, 2015 6:29 am  #372

Hover through the fog

Dear anonymous writer, thank you so much for this brilliant, heartbreaking, wonderful story! Your words are poetic and the imagery is as well. I love the idea that both Sherlock and John have these little reminders in their pockets and how in the end they are not needed anymore.
All in all, the emotions conveyed are so manifold that I had to take breaks in between reading and catch my breath. You've done the characters and the canon justice and still managed to make it yours, beautifully so. Thank you again for writing this!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Why, why? I mean, why, why?"
"Four excellent questions."

December 15, 2015 7:27 am  #373

Hover Through the Fog

Such a powerful fic. I love how the surreal element of it is never explained. The way the different realities are woven into each other is really impressive.

There are so many sentences in it that just sound great, like "The crackle of lightning and the steady pitter-patter of rain against the pavement announces the end of their suffocating winter."

And I loved the take on Mrs Hudson. She is a strong charecter indeed, and so important for the boys.

Thank you for sharing your fic with us, unknown author.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 15, 2015 7:40 am  #374

Oratorio in D-death

I spend more time than I like to admit imagining Sherlock and his new light pink shirt.

When Mary's role in one of the cases was revealed, I needed to read the fic again to check it out. Great writing.

December 15, 2015 7:45 am  #375

Jam tomorrow?

Wonderful, wonderful! Cooking, eating (sort of...) and Johnlock, spiced with the ghosts of former lovers and other romantic obstacles (*coughMarycough*) in a very intriguing blend of present and past. Wonderful characterisation of Sherlock's former crushes, the political fighter gave me a couple of good laughs while Victor is really heartbreaking... Love the end, when food is just not needed anymore.
Lovely application of the food-sex-metaphore.
Thank you, dear unknown author.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

December 15, 2015 8:49 am  #376

Hover through the fog

I can hardly add anything of substance that has not been mentioned already. Wonderful, magic, full of picturesque scenery of the minds. Though it was never resolved, the blending of presence and Victorian past through the mirror and the shard is a way of storytelling that truly keeps you at your feet while reading. Sherlock and John are indeed characters that live through the times, aren't they? As does their mutual love, wonderfully resolved on both time levels. Interesting take on Mary, being the traditional wife on the one hand in Victorian times and plying with what we have been given on the other hand. Still, you made it very clear that Mary is not The One!, which as a shipper I found very satisfying.
And you managed to work with the trauma of TRF much better than the Mofftiss did in S3, so an extra kudo for that.
Thank you, dear unknown author.

"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

December 15, 2015 9:02 am  #377

Jam Tomorrow?

So many elements in such a short story - wow! I like the frame with Sherlock cooking and remembering his past, his relationships with Victor and John, Redbeard, the drugs, his first love at primary school. And a thing I have never read before - VicLock that continues even after the events of series 3. You manage to depict a whole bittersweet love story in just a few paragraphs. And nice trick to make Victor beg for forgiveness and thereby having us guess if it might him after all and not John he is cooking for. 

And I had a good morning chuckle at "With a little luck, Sherlock would need the strength in his wrist for something completely different later on." 

Kudos and thank you for this lovely morning read, dear unknown author. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 15, 2015 9:48 am  #378

Ok, I've finished some more stories...

The Adventure of the Mechanical Turk

Someone said in an other comment, the good thing at this Secret Santa event is that you read stories you would normally perhaps not read at all. As I am not much interessted in Victorian Sherlock stories so far I would probably have missed this juwel of a story if it wasn't for our Secret Santa.
I am not so familiar with the original ACD stories but I know a few ones and this story here felt to me exactly like an original one! If it wasn't for the Johnlock romance you could believe that it was from ACD himself. The speech, the descriptions of Victorian London and the scenery of the story and the dialogues all felt very authentic. And the Mechanical Turk! I have never heard of that before but while still reading the story, I googled it and read with interest the wikipedia article. What an incredible device, so mysterious and therefore it fitted perfectly to a Sherlock Holmes story! Though knowing now how the device worked it was still a surprise when suddenly at the showdown of the story Sherlock popped out of it. The conclusion
as well as the whole case was very well constructed.
And there is of course the wonderful Johnlock part of the story. Poor John, I really ached for him in his misery. The scene in the brougham was so sweet as was the wonderful ending with the two finally getting together.
Until now I doubted that Johnlock and Victorian Sherlock would work out but we have two stories so far that proved otherwise.
Thank you, unkown author, for this exceptional story.

Of ships, horses, and trains or How idioms can go wrong

D'awww  that was gorgeous. These two idiots, secretly pining after each other but not able to utter a clear word about it. I love stories like this with a little misunderstanding and misery on both sides and then a romantic happy ending.
Thank you, unkown author, you gave me finally a good start into the day yesterday after having to get up too early due to a business trip and sitting in an overcrowded overheated train compartment.
By the way, I have never been interested in travelling to Italy much but after this story I would like to see Venice one day.
And about the movies: I have no idea, but I hope we'll get a conclusion later.

Jam tomorrow?

At first I thought it was obvious that Sherlock was preparing the meal for John but then came the part with Victor returning and I just thought: "Oh no." I mean, Victor is a good guy here but in a setting where Sherlock and John love each other it can only be the two of them. So I am very glad that they finally found each other (though I am feeling really sorry for Victor).
I love how this story is constructed with the short snippets of Sherlock's past, so very heart-wrenching with all the lost love in his life (oh, Redbeard  ) but also beautifuly written.
Yes, I know the order in which I comment on the stories is a bit odd. But I just read todays fic and had to comment on that one instantly. It was so sweet.

Last edited by stoertebeker (December 15, 2015 9:48 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

December 15, 2015 9:56 am  #379

BreathingIsBoring wrote:

I'm hesitant to comment, since omitting any story would potentially reveal which one was mine XD. I'll post individual comments when the exchange is over, but I would like to applaud everyone whose stories have been posted so far. I also am very glad to see how many of them have, at the very least, Johnlock undertones Your writing is superb this year! I blame the swiftly approaching break in the hiatus for our sudden influx of creativity, and I smell the Victorian!lock! I'm so glad to have been a part of this, and I can't wait to let you know what I thought about each of your stories. They're all so fantastic–especially considering the time commitment that went into sharing every carefully chosen word. Thank you, thank you, thank you! 

I haven't had time to be on the forum at all the past few days, but I was also wondering about how to comment without revealing myself since I took part! I will absolutely comment on all the stories once we're done.

December 15, 2015 10:12 am  #380

@Dorothy and Breathing, I would love for everybody to comment as much as possible during the exchange already. I think it might get swept under the rug a bit waiting till the end, times won't get less busy then. I think that's part of the exchange. And as Susi and stoertebeker have mentioned, too, the feedback for the writers cannot be underestimated. Everybody posted a little bit of his heart and soul here. As for the fear of being revealed: since we are 21 participants I don't think there is much danger of that. Sometimes you read the stories in different orders, write a pile of comments a couple of days later, maybe leave out a story that didn't exactly touch you.... I certainly never tip off on a list who commented on which story, too much work... . So, be brave and comment! A lot! And don't let yourself be shyed away by nakahara's works of art.
And: a little guessing now and then in all secrecy is also part of the fun.

Board footera