BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 20, 2015 4:20 am  #1

Houdini and Doyle series

BBC's Sherlock… CBS' Elementary…  now the networks Fox/ITV/Shaw Media are getting in the game too?  Sort of.  Oh-kay…  (cue the quizzically intrigued caution)

Quote of the official description:  “Two of the great characters of the 20th century — Houdini, master magician, escape artist and paranormal debunker, and Doyle, creator of the world’s greatest detective and a paranormal aficionado — grudgingly join forces to investigate crimes with a supernatural slant. Although they’re both rich, famous and brilliant, they’re the original odd couple, with Houdini believing in nothing, Doyle in everything.”  (whole article here:  http://deadline.com/2015/03/houdini-and-doyle-series-fox-itv-shaw-media-1201394425/)

Huh.  Alright… well, apparently Houdini and Doyle were friendly in real life, which I hadn't remembered, so might be interesting they're focusing on the man himself.  What do you think?  And just in case any of you who love to keep abreast of news-bits like that need another site among the zillions to check out, I found out about it by chancing across http://www.scoop.it/t/sherlock-holmes -- kind of a one-stop place for all the news they find on the web, with plenty you might find interesting.  Including a ton of entries the past month for a 'newly found' Doyle story I'd never heard of, that very likely wasn't actually written by him.  Interesting bit of history, though.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

June 24, 2015 7:25 pm  #2

Re: Houdini and Doyle series

So there's a bit more new info up about the Houdini & Doyle show, with casting -

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-06-24/episodes-stephen-mangan-is-the-latest-star-to-play-sherlock-holmes-creator-sir-arthur-conan-doyle

Still sounds interesting, with the friendship of opposites of two men ahead of their time… debating whether interested enough to watch!
Anyone familiar with the two main actors?

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

June 24, 2015 7:58 pm  #3

I really hope this show would be filmed and would last at least one season. Sounds fascinating.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

October 15, 2015 1:02 am  #4

The pairing of these two characters is a great concept. If this is executed well, I think it can be a success. Haven't seen any good shows about Houdini yet though. Still, a very intriguing concept. 

October 15, 2015 6:13 am  #5

A perfect pairing as they were best friends in real life.
Want to see this!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 20, 2015 6:11 pm  #6

Wow, it´s possible that this project gets realised after all!

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 20, 2015 6:15 pm  #7

Fantastic.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 21, 2015 3:09 am  #8

nakahara wrote:

Wow, it´s possible that this project gets realised after all!

Ooh...  saw that earlier, and you beat me to it!   I love the style of that poster!

December 9, 2015 10:41 am  #9

December 9, 2015 1:59 pm  #10

Nice. When's the show due to air, again?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

December 9, 2015 2:01 pm  #11

The article mentions only year 2016 thus far, but no definite date yet.

December 9, 2015 2:04 pm  #12

Thank you

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

December 9, 2015 4:51 pm  #13

Looking good.

December 10, 2015 9:10 pm  #14

Huh….  interesting look to them!

March 2, 2016 8:40 pm  #15

Apparently it starts airing here in the UK on ITV, 13th March.

March 3, 2016 6:39 pm  #16

March 3, 2016 6:50 pm  #17

Woohoo.

March 3, 2016 8:13 pm  #18

March 13, 2016 8:17 am  #19

Well it's on tonight, but after my bed time.
So I shall catch up on it tomorrow!

March 14, 2016 9:19 am  #20

So how was it? What are your impressions of the first episode?

Last edited by nakahara (March 14, 2016 9:44 am)

Board footera