BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 24, 2015 7:48 am  #1

Jessica Jones (on Netflix)

I was browsing IMDB and spotted the trailer for Jessica Jones, a new series created by/for Netflix. Set in the Marvel universe, it's about a former superhero who decides to become a private investigator. It stars Krysten Ritter (I remember her as Jesse's girlfriend on Breaking Bad), and it looks like David Tennant is playing her arch-nemesis. Carrie-Anne Moss also plays a part. I'm not usually too interested in these comic book superhero films, but since there's a female leading character, and David Tennant's in it, I might give it a go. November 20 is the premiere date (all episodes will be available from that date). Actually, I'm not sure if that's just in America, or globally.

Here's the official trailer:

Looks quite dark!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 8, 2015 3:11 pm  #2

Re: Jessica Jones (on Netflix)

I'm definitely going to watch it. Daredevil was really one of the best series I've ever watched, so I'm expecting Jessica Jones to be great too. I like that Marvel's exploring a darker sort of atmosphere...David Tennant's characters seems really frightening in this trailer, I can actually sense his malevolence! 

November 8, 2015 4:49 pm  #3

I'm counting the days, can't wait to watch this. From what I've read and heard about this, I'm sure it'll be brilliant. And seeing David Tennant play a real sinister character... that alone will be worth it.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 23, 2015 10:17 am  #4

I "inhaled" all 13 episodes on Saturday and Sunday. And I only can say... WOW!
This show is absolutely brilliant. I love the story, the characters and the slight hint of a film noir.
And David Tennant is an adorable villain.
If we want to go deeper... with spoiler tags?

Last edited by gently69 (November 23, 2015 10:26 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

November 24, 2015 6:00 am  #5

Going in deeper sounds great, but I don't think we need spoiler tags for that... the show is out there, so whoever comes here should be aware that what we're talking about includes details about the show.

So, SPOILERS!

And I agree, that really was a great ride. What a brilliantly written show with so many interesting characters and plot developments. The women in the show are especially fascinating. I did expect Jessica to be strong and powerful, but we did get so much more, also thanks to an amazing Krysten Ritter. Such a multi-layered character, strong and fragile at the same time. And broken. She really reminded me of some of the typical private investigators in film noir, broken, disenchanted, drinking far too much alcohol... even the door to her office/apartment alludes to that. Just great.
But all the other female characters in the show are great, as well. It's wonderful to have a show with so many strong women who find ways to solve their problems without the help of men and who at the same time show emotions. Interesting, balanced characters. That's how women in TV shows should be written.

The look and soundtrack of the show is also brilliant. It all feels very much like a modern film noir, with colourful neon lights standing in for the lights and shadows in classic film noir. So often you have the camera observing people through windows, fences and other elements obscuring your view... so typical film noir. And the music... that lonely saxophone basically says it all.

And then of course I'm totally and utterly biased, so sorry for that, but David Tennant... wow, once again just wow. He is the perfect villain. It's great being in the Marvel Universe and having a villain who doesn't really look like your typical Marvel baddie - no big green guy, no flag waver (I couldn't stop laughing when she said that...!)

David is achieving so much by (seemingly) doing so little. And looking pretty damn fantastic while doing so, but okay, I know that tastes tend to differ.
But seriously, thanks to him and the great writing we see a complex villain who shows us his outrageous sides as well as moments of despair - and yes, I truly believe that these moments were real and not just for show.

So, thank you, Netflix, for giving us Marvel for adults - dirty, rough, ruthless and real.
And I'll just leave this here...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

November 24, 2015 8:49 am  #6

I heard about it and that Ten-inch is in it, but I don't like the actress. She was in Gilmore Girls and her character was one of the most unnecessary roles ever and was played very over the top.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

November 24, 2015 9:06 am  #7

I agree to all of that, Solar.
Never thought that a TV series about a Super Hero could be right up my alley. Usually I'm not a big fan of shows with this conception.

@Ivy
I don't know "Gilmore Girls" but nevertheless you should give Krysten Ritter a second chance. In Jessica Jones she does a brilliant job, everything as it should be. IMO. 

Last edited by gently69 (November 24, 2015 9:10 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

November 24, 2015 10:26 am  #8

Well, I know "Gilmore Girls" but I don't remember Krysten Ritter. Whatever her role and her performance may have been, I'd say that's been years ago - and I'd also say that she probably played the role the way it was written. But anyway, what she's doing as Jessica Jones is just brilliant. She is great. The role is great. That's all I can say.
But I guess I know that sometimes you're not interested in certain actors because of roles they played or other things... I'd never watch a film with Til Schweiger, so there you go. 

November 24, 2015 10:39 am  #9

Well... talking about acting skills of Til Schweiger... um... well... there are... don't know any.
Sorry, short off-topic. Couldn't resist.

Last edited by gently69 (November 24, 2015 10:39 am)

(Tony Hadley)

November 24, 2015 12:29 pm  #10

Yeah, Til Schweiger probably isn't such a good example, he puts Krysten Ritter undeservedly into a bad light, I suppose.

November 24, 2015 12:44 pm  #11

off-topic on: The funny thing about Til Schweiger is he got millions of viewers for his films but nobody seems to like him. I haven't seen a film with him or by him, I know sounds surprising. The worst thing about him is that he mumbles or his voice in general, I can't watch him, even interviews. off-topic off.

Apart from the fact that Kristen had a unfortunate debut for me, the synopsis for Jessica Jones doesn't make me excited either. And my "must see list" is too long already. But I agree it is always good to have a TV show with a strong female lead.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

November 24, 2015 1:57 pm  #12

The brilliant thing is that there's not only a strong female lead but lots of other interesting and strong female characters. Some are stronger than others, but that's what I call diversity.
I'll admit though that I probably wouldn't have bothered to get a Netflix-account for the show if Ten hadn't been involved...

November 24, 2015 3:42 pm  #13

SolarSystem wrote:

I'll admit though that I probably wouldn't have bothered to get a Netflix-account for the show if Ten hadn't been involved...

Well, I always wanted to watch this. David who?

(Tony Hadley)

November 24, 2015 3:44 pm  #14

Copperfield. It's David Copperfield.

December 3, 2015 9:13 pm  #15

and they're doing an AnswerTime on Tumblr right now, if anyone's interested!
http://jessicajones.tumblr.com/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

December 3, 2015 10:53 pm  #16

Fantastic show.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 6, 2015 4:21 pm  #17

For people interested in the rest of the Marvel Cinematic Universe:
Originally, the part of Jessica's best friend was supposed to be for the character Carol Danvers, who you may or may not know as Captain Marvel. But, after a few years had passed from planning to execution and Danvers was slated to get her own movie, they decided to give it to Trish Walker (who is known as Patsy Walker, aka Hellcat, in the comics). 

Yay, trivia!

December 7, 2015 6:30 pm  #18

I definitely am NOT a superhero type of TV or film watcher, but I am beginning to like Jessica Jones a lot more than I thought I would. 

I think it is mainly a couple of factors -
1) They keep the super human aspect to a minimum
2) The writing is clever and face paced
3) The acting is very good
4) the look of the show is really excellent - the shots are interesting, done with a flare for the dramatic that involve lighting and camera angles that are different from most TV shows.  It has tons of mood and dark atmosphere.

I never watched the Gilmore Girls but I do know the lead actress from her work on Breaking Bad and she was wonderful on that. 

And David Tenant is delightful to watch as usual.  We just finished watching him in The Politicians Husband and so it was quite a shock seeing him in this one (such a different role).  He seems to have such a wide range.

We have only seen 6 episodes so far but I think we will continue to watch.  It is not something I would say I absolutely crave for (like Sherlock or House of Cards)  but it has piqued my interest enough to keep going. I figure if I am going to try and acclimatise myself to something made by Marvel (in time to ready myself to actually go to Dr. Strange) this would be the way to do it - good acting, clever writing, interesting characters... it might work!

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

January 19, 2016 8:31 am  #19

Just caught this thread. I watched the whole season and I thought it was absolutely brilliant. Very much NOT your usual superhero type series at all. Dark, with well-drawn characters that were not 2-D charisma turns. And so good to see a strong, if fallible, female protagonist. I thought David was just perfect in the part.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 22, 2016 10:32 am  #20

I loved it being a fan of lots of the TV aired MCU stuff... I couldn't quite get over David using the same accent as The Doctor for Kilgrave... It just made him more terrifying which was great!

I can't wait to see more of this and Luke Cage if that comes to fruition... the Marvel Cinematic Universe is so varied.

---------------
It's not really a ship, it's more like a life raft.

Board footera