BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 3, 2015 11:32 pm  #421

Re: Hamlet at the Barbican - contains spoilers about the production

My vote for best actor doesn't seem to register either. Hmm. The other categories seems to have gone through okay. 

I can't find anywhere to contact them about it though! How annoying! I was just about to go back and use all my other email addresses to vote...  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

December 3, 2015 11:35 pm  #422

I was going to email them (awards@whatsonstage.com) but when I went back into the voting page to check my details, it seemed that my vote had registered after all.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 3, 2015 11:38 pm  #423

No matter how many times I refresh or go to other pages and come back... it's not registered... 

I'll email them! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

December 4, 2015 3:03 am  #424

I certainly hope this "glitch" doesn't affect his voting totals.  I will check again to see if my vote was registered for him.  I wonder how many other folks voted and never checked back to see if it was registering as a counted vote, thinking that it was a given that it would be counted?  If mine hasnt registered by tomorrow I will email them as well. 

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

December 4, 2015 9:57 am  #425

They answered my email this morning:

"Thanks for your email.

Due to the high number of votes in the Best Actor in a Play category, the system took a little while for them to be processed. Your vote will have gone through and it should now be coming up saying you've already submitted.

Thanks for getting involved and I'm glad you enjoyed Hamlet!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

December 4, 2015 3:20 pm  #426

Well, I got the same reply (except I didn't tell them who I voted for) this morning. 

I did check back and indeed my vote had been registered - so all seems well.  I hope this huge response was because of all the BC fans out there voting for him!     That would be nice.

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

December 5, 2015 10:31 pm  #427

OH MY GOD!!!

The record of Hamlet reached my country at last and so, as probably the last member of this forum, I finally got to see it. I´m just back from the screening and oh my God, the adaptation was SOO GOOOOD!!! I´m feeling like a junkie who infused his veins with a big shot of his favourite drug. I didn´t realised how starved I am for Ben´s acting until I got this mega-giga-overdose. But I overdosed in a good way - I am exhilarated. Ben´s acting (and looks)... wow, just wow! It´s as if I have never seen him acting, until now. Really, you must see that man in a theatre to witness what a marvellous actor he is... it was wondrous. I don´t know how do I return into mundane reality after being kidnapped to another world by his performance...

And the rest of the cast and the production itself... I have no words. It was all so perfect. The grandness and beauty of the set alone took my breath away and it was used so perfectly. I am still in awe over scenes like "ghost´s appearance", "the wicked theatre play", "the demise of Ophelia", "the snowstorm of the ashes" and especially that incredible moment during the duel of Hamlet and Laertes when the time itself suddenly stopped, constricted and then seemingly exploded like a supernova, paired with the Nat Cole King´s melody "There was a boy".... the other adaptations of Hamlet I have seen until now are just pale imitations of Shakespeare´s art next to this one. I am so happy I could experience the real power of this play through this adaptation! (And I was so happy that I am seeing the record with subtitles! I have doubly relished it because of that.) 

And after that powerful performance, the sweet plea for charity from Benedict, civil and so endearingly modest once again, made me love him even more... 

All in all, a fantastic experience! 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 6, 2015 3:16 pm  #428

Glad to hear you finally got to see it, nakahara.
I agree that the "snowstorm of ashes," as you call it, was quite remarkable.  My inner techie wants to know how they did that, it was so cool and a great a effect! And the duel, of course, was great as well.

I understand what you mean by going back to reality.  When I saw it, I wanted to see it again (which probably won't ever happen, unless we're lucky enough to have a re-release at some later date), because I wanted to take it all in again.

Clueing for looks.

December 6, 2015 4:41 pm  #429

I'm happy to hear you finally got to see it nakahara! 

Yitzock, if I'm thinking about the same thing as you about the 'snow storm of ashes', that's where Claudius has his monologue at the end of the first part? 

I was in 2nd row, and I got some of the brunt of that. It was done with grey and black confetti that was swooshed out with air canons. I spent the entire break picking those pieces out of my hair and I saved a bit of it too (and somehow manage to find some in my panties when I got back to my hotel)

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (December 6, 2015 4:41 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

December 6, 2015 7:35 pm  #430

Oh, I had wondered about that. I watched it in the cinema, but I thought "surely the audience must cop some of that". Interesting.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 6, 2015 10:40 pm  #431

Yes, that is exactly what I was referring to.  I figured it was with some kind of fan, but still, the power of it must have been immense! Not too surprising that it got into some of the audience rows, though if it hadn't I would have commended their calculation and control.
Very cool staging, all around, that bit included.

Clueing for looks.

December 7, 2015 10:09 pm  #432

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

Yitzock, if I'm thinking about the same thing as you about the 'snow storm of ashes', that's where Claudius has his monologue at the end of the first part? 

I was in 2nd row, and I got some of the brunt of that. It was done with grey and black confetti that was swooshed out with air canons. I spent the entire break picking those pieces out of my hair and I saved a bit of it too (and somehow manage to find some in my panties when I got back to my hotel)

LOL! That´s a cool story, Phantom!
The effect seemed incredibly powerful onscreen but it never occured to me that the first few rows of spectators would be bathed in that! Ow! 

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 8, 2015 10:43 am  #433

It was even more incredible live, I've seen the performance three times and yet I was thrilled every time. And some poeple really jumped in their sits, it had such a powerful impact.

December 8, 2015 11:12 am  #434

One more reason why it´s better to attend the play live... it is much more intense experience.

(But I´m still happy that the record exists - living in hope that it would be released on DVD one day....)

December 8, 2015 5:07 pm  #435

I was up in the gods and it didn't distract me one bit!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 8, 2015 6:55 pm  #436

The ashes didn't reach me, but it was an amazing theatrical moment, I thought.   Much louder and more shocking than it appeared on screen. 

February 3, 2016 8:07 am  #437

Four awards for Benedict, Sian Brooke, Kobna Holdbrook-Smith, and Es Devlin! Congrats.

https://www.playshakespeare.com/falstaff-awards/falstaff-awards-2015

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 3, 2016 8:21 am  #438

So very well deserved!! 

Congratulations! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

February 3, 2016 8:31 am  #439

Woohoo! 

February 3, 2016 9:20 am  #440

Great! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

Board footera