BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 1, 2015 9:08 am  #241

Re: Secret Santa Fic Exchange 2015

God rest you, Dr. Watson

Thank you, dear unknown author, for this feel-good-and-warm-and-all-fuzzy-inside-our-bellies first story this year. Sherlock and John, against the ugly world outside, thisis what it's all about. With a little help from a surprising soft Mycroft, well, but he's always around when needed, isn't he?
Both John and Sherlock seemed in character for me, Sherlock being not amused that a minority like a sprained ankle could keep anyone from rushing to a crime scene. That resulting in one of the well-known and much-loved little domestics between the boys. But with a warm and hopeful ending, Sherlock being tender and a bit caring, well, in a Sherlock-way.
Now I need some tea as well, and some buiscuits and decorate a few more light-chains...

Last edited by mrshouse (December 3, 2015 9:56 am)

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

December 1, 2015 9:16 am  #242

God Rest You, Dr. Watson

Thank you, unknown author!
I really enjoyed the light atmosphere, very good opening of Christmas season!
I liked the celerity with which Mycroft came to John's help and how nice Sherlock is to John as well as the case he's investigating - it shows them to be more human than meets the eye.
Sherlock's "did you have to get yourself hurt" line made me laugh -really in character!
Also, am I the only one who had to make a double take for the very words, "I need you to go with me"?

After that, I'd imagine Sherlock or John (or maybe both...) would like to have a pet. Obviously not this one...but maybe a brother of his ;)

Last edited by Lilythiell (December 1, 2015 10:28 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

December 1, 2015 9:18 am  #243

God rest you, Dr. Watson

What a funny little story, thank you Santa!

Shortly after I'd sent my prompt to Schmiezi, I realised how impossible it was. I basically just included a few words that made me think of Christmas and winter and huskies are cool. So well done for including all the elements, every time a new one appeared made me giggle, especially the dog. 

I love the absurdity  of Mycroft taking John to the hospital and even carrying his bags. Surely Mycroft must have given Sherlock a look like:  never talk about this ever again

And Sherlock finding the Siberian Husky case important made me laugh. Reminded me of my schoolteachers who'd always found the subject they taught the most important thing ever. And then he's cross because John totally choose to hurt himself just as he had a funny case. So in character. 

Now I'm kinda curious about the case. Luckily it wasn't a very difficult one, solved in an afternoon. 

Thank you Santa for this lovely start. 

December 1, 2015 12:15 pm  #244

God Rest You, Dr Watson

What a nice little story to start "our" SSFF season this year.
Mycroft that caring? What a (sorry) funny idea.
And I really can imagine how unhappy Sherlock was at first... that he had to change his plans.

Well done, dear unknown author.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

December 1, 2015 1:04 pm  #245

God Rest You, Dr. Watson

There were several aspects of this cute little story I liked
- Mycroft as the caring big brother who has his watchful eye on Sherlock & John though the idea of the British Government carrying Shopping bags was a bit disturbing
- Sherlock's reaction to John's injury, as if John did it on purpose just to annoy him
- Sherlock taking a case of a lost dog (of course I would help here)
- the general domestic athmosphere, very fitting for a Christmas story and, like Schmiezi already mentioned, very much missed in S3

Thank you unkown author for this nice start and kudos for the way you included the words giving in the prompt.

Last edited by stoertebeker (December 1, 2015 1:07 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

December 1, 2015 3:13 pm  #246

God Rest You, Dr. Watson
(I think everybody knows at this point what story I'm talking about but anyway..)

As soon as I saw the title of this story, I could hear "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" stuck in my head.
Everybody is so nice in this story! Interesting idea, to have a sort of "slice of life" type story.
I have to say that John seeing New York City on television reminded me of when I went there with my family a couple years ago and we went skating at Rockefeller Center.

Last edited by Yitzock (December 1, 2015 5:26 pm)

Clueing for looks.

December 1, 2015 4:25 pm  #247

God rest you, Dr. Watson:

I loved the warm christmas atmosphere, which put me in a good mood :-)
I like how Mycroft is caring in his actions, and not as distanced as usual. Him carrying shopping bags made me laugh :-)
I like how John kind of confesses a love for dogs, and how he offers to help Sherlock even if he cannot run around with him. And Sherlock shows again how much he relies on John coming with him during cases - but I also love how he acts grown-up and goes for the case alone instead of making a big argument (a small one is always nice to have, I confess) 
the idea of a cozy night in at a decorated Baker Street is always welcome :-)  could imagine it very well, hope Sherlock will make tasty tea for John as often as he wants one.
The descriptions gave me a great feeling of christmas vibes :-)
lovely little story 

"It is what it is."

December 1, 2015 4:41 pm  #248

Yitzock wrote:

God Rest You, John Watson
(I think everybody knows at this point what story I'm talking about but anyway..)

Stick to it though. The thing is at the beginning posting the fic and reading and commenting is all in a nice order. As the days in december go by it might happen though that you read more than one fic a day, for example on a weekend, and then write a pile of comments a couple of days later.
Thus everybody knows which fic you comment on anyway.

"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

December 1, 2015 4:43 pm  #249

mrshouse wrote:

Yitzock wrote:

Stick to it though. The thing is at the beginning posting the fic and reading and commenting is all in a nice order. As the days in december go by it might happen though that you read more than one fic a day, for example on a weekend, and then write a pile of comments a couple of days later.

Well said.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

December 1, 2015 4:43 pm  #250

Yes, and I will start using colour again as well. Forgot it this morning. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 1, 2015 4:47 pm  #251

BTW, let me remind you that there will be no regular fic tomorrow. BUT someone was so nice to produced a little something just for fun to fill the gap.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

December 1, 2015 5:28 pm  #252

Schmiezi wrote:

mrshouse wrote:

Yitzock wrote:

Well said.

Yeah, I realize later on it will matter, but for the moment it felt kind of unnecessary. (Also, I went back to my original post and edited it once again because apparently I can't get the title right, I had already written it out incorrectly once, now twice)

And I am looking forward to what other fun is coming soon.

Last edited by Yitzock (December 1, 2015 5:29 pm)

Clueing for looks.

December 2, 2015 7:23 am  #253

Oh gawd, tunalock....
I usually have trouble with this because, you know....pictures in my head, but I'm so glad I gave that a go. I demand a sequel!
I always have a weak spot for variations on their first meeting, their instant bonding, the moving in together, the introduction of the side characters that I love so much...
And how real everything feels in the deep world of the seven oceans. And how funny, how funny and neatly the world of fish (and dolphins...) was connected to each character. Also the physiognomy of the fish was chosen to its best, I want to see a long and slender tunalock and a dolphin John sooo badly now!
Kudos, dear secret santa!

December 2, 2015 8:00 am  #254

Gosh, that's... cute. I have visions of "Finding Nemo" in my head. With some features of specific actors.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

December 2, 2015 8:04 am  #255

Tunalock

I had a WTF moment when I started reading but then I realised that it's super funny. And of course Mycroft would be an octopus. 

Just wondering, what species was Moriarty? I didn't catch that but maybe I read over it. I imagined a shark. 

Super original, how does one come up with the idea to transpose the characters to fish in the see? Or is Tunalock a 'thing'? I don't know but it's such a funny idea!

Last edited by silverblaze (December 2, 2015 8:06 am)

December 2, 2015 8:37 am  #256

gently69 wrote:

Gosh, that's... cute. I have visions of "Finding Nemo" in my head. With some features of specific actors.

In my imagination it was more like Shark Tale .
That story was fun, I am still grinning. Thank you unknown author for this cute little tale. Normally I wouldn't read stuff like that but I am glad I did.
Mycroft as an octopus surrounded by a swarm of minion fishes - that image will accompany me through the day

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

December 2, 2015 8:43 am  #257

@Silver, tunalock is a "thing" in a couple of johnlock fanfics. You can imagine where it goes from here.....
Not for me usually TBH.

December 2, 2015 9:29 am  #258

I love the tunalock it was hilarious ! Would live a season 2 based sequel !

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can always tell a good Chinese place by examining the bottom third of the door handle"

December 2, 2015 9:48 am  #259

What a funny tuna surprise! Very cute rendering of Sherlock. Thank you, Secret Santa.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 2, 2015 9:52 am  #260

This is lovely, nakahara! 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera