BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 23, 2012 1:36 pm  #1

In Search for Fanart

Hello to you all,

I really hope I started this thread properly and in the right section, as you can see, I'm kind of new to it all. 

I would really love to have a Sherlock-related icon in my profile, but I'm rather hopeless at any kind of art and I don't know where to get things like that from.
I have heard of Deviantart, but you need, if I'm correct, a registration in oder to use their art and I would prefer not to do that.

So, can anyone help? Any answers would be much appreciated! 

Thanks in advance!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sherlock: If I wasn't everything that you think I am, everything that I think I am, would you still want to help me?
Molly: What do you need?
Sherlock: You.

July 23, 2012 10:07 pm  #2

Re: In Search for Fanart

Maybe go onto the section which is about posting pictures for dummies by the biggest dummy (Kazza!). That has lots about posting pictures for your profile. I can't help directly because I am useless at it.

The section you need is: questions, suggestions and technical help.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 24, 2012 7:23 am  #3

Thank you very much for your answer, I guess I'll try this then. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sherlock: If I wasn't everything that you think I am, everything that I think I am, would you still want to help me?

August 11, 2012 2:31 am  #4

what molly wants is pictures to use--not how to do them, am I wrong? 

Molly,  don't use deviantart--  those are copyrighted.  You can find pics  listed here in fanart threads. (choose a pic and ask for permission)  Also  on the internet.  Don't use those that have watermarks  (those are little squiggly marks on the picture, that are text  or signatures by the artists)  that's a copyright infringement law....thing. Google SHERLOCK  and then hit the images link.   If you'd like further help,  let me know and I'll do my best to help.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

August 11, 2012 11:18 pm  #5

sherlockskitty wrote:

what molly wants is pictures to use--not how to do them, am I wrong? 

Molly,  don't use deviantart--  those are copyrighted.  You can find pics  listed here in fanart threads. (choose a pic and ask for permission)  Also  on the internet.  Don't use those that have watermarks  (those are little squiggly marks on the picture, that are text  or signatures by the artists)  that's a copyright infringement law....thing. Google SHERLOCK  and then hit the images link.   If you'd like further help,  let me know and I'll do my best to help.

Thank you so much for this nice and very, very helpful post!!! 

Yes, indeed, as I'm really not on the technical side of things and useless at any kind of design, art or similar stuff (and my computer's too old to bear another new software), I meant to find a way to use a nice picture for my icon.

Thanks a lot for your explanation and your offer to help me further! 
I'll see what I can do and let you know when I've been either successfull or helpless.

August 16, 2012 8:45 am  #6

Sorry for double-posting, but I finally found the time to try my luck with what you've explained, sherlockskitty, and this is the result.

I used tinypic, but they have only 100x75 for avatars, so it got a bit blurry. 
Do you have any idea how I could make it look a bit clearer? Use a different side perhaps? I don't know...

August 18, 2012 8:48 pm  #7

Or Tumblr.

Tumblr is great for finding pictures and art.

By the way, if you have the series on DVD you could just do a screen capture of the shot you want...or you could try YouTube and do a screen capture of that. Do you have an application called Clipping Tool? Really handy little thing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

Board footera