BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 27, 2015 5:15 pm  #161

Re: What is the Special about? (Spoilers)

Of that I am sure. By now so many members of the team have told us that there is indeed a connection between special and episodes that they will probably not give important information that becomes invalid within the larger context. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 27, 2015 6:11 pm  #162

Btw, the complete the series of interviews, here is the one with Amanda. I really, really like the last paragraph. Sums up my view of Mary nicely. 

http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/sherlock/250929/sherlock-amanda-abbington-talks-the-abominable-bride

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 27, 2015 6:15 pm  #163

I have to say that generally I think the female cast are excellent at discussing their characters...
I almost applauded at what Lara said about Irene in The Chronicles.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 28, 2015 8:30 am  #164

Great interviews from Den of Geek about the special. I'm wishing for more (Rupert, Una and Loo would have been interesting).

Re. Sherlock saying he made himself the way he is; I really hope they expand on this. We were all (perhaps I shouldn't generalise) surprised when Sherlock's parents turned out to be "so... ordinary", because we assumed that if we ever got any backstory, his upbringing would explain his personality traits. How many fics were written pre-TEH about a neglectful, cold, controlling or abusive Mummy Holmes? We're still waiting to find out what made both of the Holmes brothers the way they are. If all we get for an answer is "Nothing made me. I made me", I'll be disappointed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 28, 2015 8:36 am  #165

Although in interview(possibly on the commentaries) I am fairly certain I've heard Mark and Steven say there is no bleeding heart backstory to how Sherlock is...
They said that basically these fairly ordinary parents were presented with these to proteges sons and really didn't know what to do with them...Mummy clearly favours Sherlock!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 28, 2015 9:29 am  #166

There are hints that Sherlock was overindulged (Mrs Hudson saying that his mother has a lot to answer for), which might have contributed to his arrogance and self-centredness?  Or perhaps encouraged him to "make himself".

December 1, 2015 11:53 am  #167

Interesting quote:

There’s a significant part for John Watson’s mysterious wife, Mary, who gets a very sinister intro…
—     Empire Magazine article about TAB (x)

So at least the intro for her will be different from TEH. But she is still mysterious. 

December 1, 2015 1:23 pm  #168

That IS interesting.  Also very different from the ACD story that introduces her. Mysterious and sinister - I'm looking forward to it!  And also glad that it sounds like they're doing something interesting with Mary rather than just having her as John's canon wife.

December 1, 2015 1:26 pm  #169

Yes, I agree. That would indeed be very dull. But they have told about giving the female characters more room so this would fit with their words. 

December 1, 2015 5:07 pm  #170

SusiGo wrote:

Interesting quote:

There’s a significant part for John Watson’s mysterious wife, Mary, who gets a very sinister intro…
—     Empire Magazine article about TAB (x)

So at least the intro for her will be different from TEH. But she is still mysterious. 

I agree that it would be dull to just have her as the wife.
On the other hand, and I might be in the minority with this, I'm not sure if this prospect thrills me. Don't get me wrong. I think what we got from the Special so far looks great. But personally I'm just not sure if I need another episode of what TPTB think "great and strong female characters" are. I'm simply not interested in another episode of Marydrama.
Anybody help me with this?

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

December 1, 2015 5:12 pm  #171

Well, if they use the special to give us some explanations, Mary will probably be included as, probably, Moriarty. And I am sure that we will get an interesting take on other female characters as well. I really do not think it will be only Mary and I do not see anything negative in it. I have always liked the variety of female characters in the show and it will be interesting to see what they make of them in Victorian times. 

On a lighter note - this is what BBC 3 has to say about Mary:

http://the-secret-life-in-221b.tumblr.com/post/134339539953/what-is-your-opinion-on-mary-morstan-or-whatever

Last edited by SusiGo (December 1, 2015 5:13 pm)

December 1, 2015 5:16 pm  #172

SusiGo wrote:

On a lighter note - this is what BBC 3 has to say about Mary:

http://the-secret-life-in-221b.tumblr.com/post/134339539953/what-is-your-opinion-on-mary-morstan-or-whatever

Thanks for the response, Susi. You often manage to bring me back on the lighter notes. Sometimes that is needed.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

December 1, 2015 5:30 pm  #173

BBC3 loves us.    

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 1, 2015 7:13 pm  #174

That really IS interesting!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

December 8, 2015 3:15 pm  #175

Interesting article from a German magazine:

http://gosherlocked.tumblr.com/post/134791328621/sherlock-special

December 8, 2015 3:31 pm  #176

SusiGo wrote:

Interesting article from a German magazine:

http://gosherlocked.tumblr.com/post/134791328621/sherlock-special

Great!

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 9, 2015 5:06 pm  #177

A new Behind the Scenes video!

"Why are we going back to the Victorian times?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=195&v=xcNt59TuMDA

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

December 9, 2015 9:35 pm  #178

Lovely to see them in full make-up and costume. It really looks like we could cut ourselves on those cheekbones, goodness me!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 10, 2015 8:23 am  #179

Marvellous, those two!

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 10, 2015 8:32 am  #180

Perfection!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

Board footera