BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 26, 2015 6:39 am  #141

Re: What is the Special about? (Spoilers)

Quite.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 26, 2015 9:29 am  #142

besleybean wrote:

I think he's trying to make a serious point in a humorous way and yes it is humour: black humour...very British.

Just briefly coming back to that statement in Martin's interview .
My english friend also doesn't think that it is funny. So the awareness of "that British humour" differs in the own country. It can't be generalised. Everytime something like this becomes a topic in here I get the impression that the "poor people  from the continent just don't understand."
Sorry for the ongoing off-topic.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

November 26, 2015 2:37 pm  #143

I read the entire interview and nothing really bothered me.  But then again, I met my husband at a website named "Smartasses Online."   

TOPIC!

We are getting a very special epsidoe of Sherlock soon.  What do you suppose it's about?!?!?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 26, 2015 2:42 pm  #144

I hope this is considered on-topic, as it's about the characters:

I like what Maritn said about not being interested in playing a character that was only there to be in awe of another character. John is a strong and impressive man by himself, he's only "over-shadowed" because his best friend is even more awesome and intelligent than he is. And I think that comes across, that John is an interesting and nuanced character in himself, he's not just there to be a stupid contrast to Sherlock's brilliance.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

November 26, 2015 3:18 pm  #145

In "our" BBC Show John Watson acts different to many other adaptions where he only is a bit stupid companion of Sherlock Holmes. Martin's John is a strong character, absolutely able to match with Sherlock.

To the story: I am really curious how they are going to solve the ghost thing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

November 26, 2015 3:24 pm  #146

I agree. This John Watson is something new. Jude Law was more of a partner than a bumbling sidekick but Martin is still more of an individual character with a history and issues of his own. 

Well, it would not be the first time in Sherlock that a character comes back from the dead. And I love how the bride is a combination of Moriarty and Mary and probably something we do not yet know. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 26, 2015 9:39 pm  #147

To be honest, I have yet to find any screen adaptation of SH stories that would portray John Watson as merely a bumbling sidekick to Sherlock. I read pastiches like that, but movies or TV series usually treated John as a strong character. Even Nigel Bruce who is villified for having made this character a farce actually managed to made him very loyal, very brave and very caring. Modern Watsons like Jude Law or Ian Hart were incredibly BAMFy, so no useless sidekicks there either...

Martin´s John is maybe unique because he is the "best of all worlds"... we know his backstory, so we can sympathise with him, he is sassy, BAMFy, but also kind and compassionate... he has also some dark undercurrents in his psyche... very interesting character indeed.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 26, 2015 10:16 pm  #148

Not to mention symptoms of trauma, if not actual PSTD--a psychosomatic limp, nightmares about the war, symptoms of depression, etc.  Plus an intermittent tremor in his left hand, although that might have been caused by nerve damage instead of emotional trauma.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if BBC Sherlock's John Watson also had flashbacks about the war.

What about the Dr. Watson on the Granada series?

Last edited by kgreen20 (November 26, 2015 10:26 pm)

November 26, 2015 10:20 pm  #149

David Burke was a more comical Watson, but very sympathetic and warmhearted, while Edward Harwicke was serious, supportive rock on which the wind-torn Holmes could lean, almost ideal embodiment of Watson... just maybe a bit too quiet. 

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 26, 2015 11:34 pm  #150

Imagine what would happen if the Granada Holmes and Watson and the BBC Sherlock and John could be brought together--what a team the four of them would make! =)

November 26, 2015 11:36 pm  #151

I´m afraid two Sherlocks would eat each other alive. 

November 27, 2015 2:25 am  #152

lol They'd probably be always trying to one-up the other in cleverness.  Could be disastrous, or they'd just be at their peak observational skills trying so hard to be best.

Clueing for looks.

November 27, 2015 4:38 am  #153

Vhanja wrote:

Also,Moftiss talks about a question John asks Sherlock that he thinks is one of his favorite scenes of the special, and something he always wanted asked. I believe that question is: "What made you like this?" 

What do you guys think?

I think there's a good chance that is the question Moffat was talking about. It's an interesting question, but will we get any more of an answer than "Nobody made me. I made me"?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 27, 2015 4:56 am  #154

Yes, I'm very curious about the question, why John's asking it, what the full answer will be, what it will all mean.  It's not the kind of thing I ever really expected to come up, but now that it's out there I am very interested in what it will mean.

Clueing for looks.

November 27, 2015 6:55 am  #155

I dunno though, cos haven't we already had the answer to that question?
One of the trailers shows Sherlock saying: I made me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 27, 2015 11:28 am  #156

I agree. It seems a bit odd to hint at something that we already have been given the answer to. So either there is more to the question/answer then what we see in the trailer, or Moftiss were talking about a different question.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

November 27, 2015 3:43 pm  #157

Maybe the question is "Will you marry me"???!!!

Ok.
I'll go back to my corner now.  
*hugs John Watson bear tightly*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 27, 2015 4:33 pm  #158

I agree that the "What made you like this" is a really interesting question for John to be asking.  Yes, we already know Sherlock's response - but what is the context of the question?  Why does John have to ask it? That's the part I'm interested in.  It may be nothing and may already be obvious, because certainly we already know Sherlock is unique, but it really is an interesting question - one we might ask ourselves about someone who behaves badly or is mentally ill. Could be that it's a reflection of TGG when John is angry that Sherlock doesn't seem to care about the victims.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

November 27, 2015 4:37 pm  #159

I agree. And it is generally one of the most exciting questions in the whole show. We have got only some glimpses about what might have made Sherlock the way he is -  his complicated relationship with Mycroft, the loss of his childhood dog, maybe something about "the other one" as well. So we know that there have been influences that have formed his character and the answer "I made me" might be an evasion or self-protection or whatever. Because I take it that he is not speaking about having made himself the only consulting detective in the world, it seems to go deeper. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 27, 2015 5:11 pm  #160

I agree with you what you guys say. But then again - if we get some kind of explanation or further information/background on Sherlock in the Special, can that be transferred to the main series? 

Team Hudders!

Board footera