BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 17, 2015 11:48 am  #601

Re: Recently watched movies.

I had never wanted Benedict to do this film in the first place and always felt Tom would be a good substitute...so glad to hear that he is!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 17, 2015 6:12 pm  #602

I'm absolutely bonkers for Benedict... but Tom was more right for this role somehow!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

October 20, 2015 8:04 pm  #603

Cool!  Been really wondering about that one, since it came up on here.  Not being the horror type At All, but dramatically visual suspense and the more gothic horror feels interesting.  Just hoping I find it a nice balance, as heard a couple comments about it being one of those with an average story and above-average visuals.  Not that those are bad... I loved how del Toro's Labyrinth and Pacific Rim looked... he always gets so beautifully lavish!  But since we so rarely go to the theater, and being October and all, mom wants me to see a 'scary movie' with her at the end of the week. 

Speaking of amazing visuals, though!  Finally, luckily, caught The Martian on the big screen last week, too!  Hadn't read the book, but heard so many raves about how well researched and intense... and it was.  Recommend if you love sci-fi that could possibly happen!  Matt Damon is really good in it, as other fan-favorites Chiwetel and Sean Bean.  Although I was kicking myself just a tiny bit... was so cool to hear from someone else here that Jonathan Aris showed up briefly, and I totally missed him somehow (maybe it was when I had to step out for a second)!  Wish I knew when exactly to look for him if should watch again.
But as far as nearly-solo-character survival type films go, it was incredibly well realised and gripping… like Cast Away, on Mars.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

October 24, 2015 6:47 am  #604

So mom and I finally did catch a movie last night…  it's been some time since we have, but she was busy and really missed going, and wanted to go see a 'scary movie' with for October!  Ha… I'm not even crazy about horror, but I think it's fairly easy to tell that Crimson Peak is not outright horror in the modern genre sense, but beautiful, suspensefully dark gothic horror, which made all the difference.  And wow, like Phantom already reviewed, what a gorgeous film!

Of course had been aware of it thanks to the tangents with Ben on here (and appreciate del Toro's sense of how a movie should look), but, god love him, I agree Tom was just perfect for the role.  Drop-dead handsome, can look so gentle, then flash that unnerving Loki-style grin.  The main actresses, who enjoyed in other things as well, were also great for their parts.  But the visuals, and unnerving you with a psychological style ghost story!  That was the main part of movie right there, and very nicely done.  All the attention paid to the sets, color, effects, and even fabric.  Check it out if you like that kind of film.
Ooh… plus amused self getting a little grin at a couple different Sherlock nods (as I perceived them, ha).  Conan Doyle's stories are mentioned, as is the locale of Cumberland, and Tom's character said something that directly reminded me of Ben (or sounded like something he would say), thinking it was cute they were maybe giving a nod to his previous involvement. (or it coulda been my ridiculous imagination ;D)  Unfortunately, wasn't exactly able to write the quote down, and now can't remember.     Phantom, do you remember thinking that with anything he said?  I'm not just crazy?

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

October 25, 2015 6:25 am  #605

I´m really torn if I should go and see it.. I normally don´t watch horror movies, but am a total sucker for del Toro´s visual style.. it looks gorgeous! But I can only stomach a certain amount of sick and yucky.. what would you guys say, does it get much worse than the trailer? I was already sufficiently scared by that.. ^^

October 25, 2015 8:24 am  #606

I'm not sure either, but my pal loved it, so maybe...

Last edited by besleybean (October 25, 2015 8:24 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 25, 2015 11:31 am  #607

We went yesterday with my daughter, who recently developed quite a crush on TH. The visual style is indeed gorgeous, the costumes are beautiful and all the actors really handsome, but the film itself was a disappointment (or may be not? I didn't really expect it to be something exceptional). I am really glad B. left the project. It is certainly "watchable" and entertaining to a degree, but on the whole very mediocre film. It has two major problems: the plot, which feels like a poor cousin to Rebecca or Jane Eyre and, even worse, not being sure what kind of film it wants to be. It is not a romance, because it lacks chemistry between the characters, it is not a horror story, because the ghosts are ultimately purely ornamental and have no real meaning (not to say that CGE are second rate so they are rather ridiculous than scary) and it is not a psychological thriller (this would be the best line to follow, if they decided what they really wanted with it). I like all the main actors and they did what they could, but they had some cringeworthy lines of dialogue. Still, TH looks gorgeous in victorian garb and the costumes and sets  were superb.

October 25, 2015 11:47 am  #608

TH is gorgeous, period. Tee Hee.

October 26, 2015 6:43 am  #609

Zatoichi wrote:

I´m really torn if I should go and see it.. I normally don´t watch horror movies, but am a total sucker for del Toro´s visual style.. it looks gorgeous! But I can only stomach a certain amount of sick and yucky.. what would you guys say, does it get much worse than the trailer? I was already sufficiently scared by that.. ^^

His style is gorgeous as usual!  But are you familiar with, then, his Pan's Labyrinth?  Because I was unnerved by some stuff in there, and oddly still found the movie fascinating, and this one is pretty similar on scale of creepy imagery.  Not modern gory horror… don't like that either… but unnerving gothic horror.  There's more of the creepy ghost stuff and the young girl being terrorized, sure, but again, kinda on par with Pan's… just one or two times, like with that movie, that I glanced away for a second.  And yeah, a gorgeous Tom  ;)   although kinda agree with miriel's comment about it's 'genre'.

November 22, 2015 3:23 pm  #610

Saw an absolutely wonderful movie last night - The Spectacular Now. 

Miles Tiller (who went on to star in the Oscar nominated Whiplash) starred in this one and along with Shailene Woodley and they just lit up the screen.  The writing was superb.

I can't say anything more about it except read this review by Roger Ebert (one of his last reviews that he wrote before his death) and it explains everything about why this was a film to watch for sure...

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-spectacular-now-2013

Highly recommend it!

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

November 24, 2015 3:54 pm  #611

Saw another wonderful movie last night -The Station Agent.

Made in 2003 it garnered a bit of limited attention on the film festival circuit and certainly earned back it's $500,000 budget and more (final tally in BO was just over $8.6 million USD both domestically and internationally) in limited release.  It also got some pretty lovely reviews, a big bucket full of award wins (including a BAFTA for Best Original Screenplay) and is still highly thought of on Rotten Tomatoes and Meta Critic.

Has anyone else seen this movie?

I highly recommend it.  It is a very small in scope but big in heart comedy/drama starring Peter Dinklage (this is my first time seeing him act but I understand he is very popular in a show called Game of Thrones), (as the protagonist) and supported by the fabulous Patricia Clarkson (one of my favourite actresses), Bobby Cannavale (who I saw for the first time in Blue Jasmine) and to a smaller degree Michelle Wiliiams (who was the very best thing about My Week with Marilyn) and Raven Goodwin.  mention has to be made of the writing and directing of Thomas McCarthy - this was his debut film and he has proven that he is definitely not a one hit wonder, going on to direct/and or write other well received films like The Visitor, Up, Win,Win and most recently Spotlight.

James Christopher of The Times summed up the movie better than I could ever do when he stated, "The brilliance of Peter Dinklage's performance as the ironclad loner is that he doesn’t much care. Yet there’s something deeply affecting about his stoicism and suspicion that has nothing to do with artificial sweeteners, Disney sentiment, or party political broadcasts on behalf of dwarfs. Dinklage just gets on with his performance like an actor who can't understand why he's got the lead role. It's this tension between the film and the unwilling Romeo that makes The Station Agent such a hypnotic watch."

And hypnotic is it.  You just can't help but stay eyes (and mind) glued to the screen watching the story unfold. Dinklage is excellent and actually holds the whole story together, but Clarkson is just as strong in her scenes.  She is a remarkable actress and does so much with a quiet look that it can often blow other actors off the screen.  I remember seeing Clarkson for the first time in a small guesting role in Frasier in about 2001 and being completely mesmerized by her voice and acting.  She always seemed so completely in command of her characters even in very small roles. 

This movie is very much a character study that involves a lot of thinking humour, but also a lot of tension.  It isn't sentimental in the least and treats the audience in a very realistic, adult fashion and yet still maintains total quirkiness and originality.  Really a remarkable film IMO.

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

November 24, 2015 5:04 pm  #612

I've saw The Station Agent when it came out years ago, Val, and I loved it!  A really sweet film, with non-stereotypical characters.  I second your recommendation.

November 28, 2015 6:30 pm  #613

Just coming back from Doctor Frankenstein .. how chocked I was to see Andrew Scott and Louise Brealey !

Jim Moriarty. Helloooo ! ~~

November 28, 2015 6:41 pm  #614

Heck I completely forgot they were in it!
I really must see it!

November 28, 2015 7:59 pm  #615

I had no idea they were in that film!

Clueing for looks.

November 28, 2015 8:30 pm  #616

Mee neither ! It was a shock really . Well, Andrew's role is funny when you compare it with Moriarty and Louise appears just a few seconds but it's still cool to see her !

Last edited by Solenn (November 28, 2015 8:32 pm)

Jim Moriarty. Helloooo ! ~~

November 29, 2015 12:37 pm  #617

Isn't Mark Gatiss in Victor Frankenstein as well (and Paul McGuigan directed it too, so the Sherlock connection runs even deeper).

The movie hasn't been well received (either rightly or wrongly) so if you want to see it at the cinema I wouldn't delay.  It had a near disastrous opening BO especially considering it's rather hefty $40 million budget. I, personally, don't judge a film's quality solely by its box office, nor even by its reviews necessarily, so I will reserve my assessment of it until after I have seen it.  I will say I wasn't exactly intrigued with the dialogue that I saw in the short clip on The Graham Norton Show, but the look of the film was gorgeous!

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

November 29, 2015 12:47 pm  #618

Yes, I love Paul and the film is certainly stuffed with enough quality actors!
I still wouldn't mind seeing it.

November 29, 2015 2:52 pm  #619

Excited to be going to see Mockingjay Part II today.   

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 30, 2015 5:07 am  #620

Dan has been feeling ill the last couple of days so we have been watching a lot of movies to pass the time.

I know it isn't a new one but we saw Inception finally and really loved it.  I have been a DiCaprio fan from a way back and he is terrific in this one.  I won't go into the plot - it is just too complicated to summerise in a short space.  But it  is imaginative, emotional and tension filled.  A movie with intriguing ideas and tremendous emotional touchstones.  I also really loved Joseph Gordon-Levitt in this one and of course Chris Nolan's direction was spot on. 

Is anyone else a Leo fan? 

My favourite of his more recent movies is Blood Diamond (I cried buckets of tears at the end) but Inception has to rate right up there in the top 10. 

We then got on a bit of a Leonardo DiCaprio kick and watched one of his early ones - Basketball Diaries.  It was also top-notch.  He looked sooooo young in that one - like a little kid (even though he was about 24).  It leant a real element of pathos to the story, having someone who looked so young have such traumatic events happen to him.  It was a bit too rushed in the end but the rest of the movie was so detailed in his slide into self-destruction.     

We also saw Shutter Island.  This was another great movie made by the master of the screen Martin Scorsese.  I thought it was first rate.  Very scary and a great modern film noir.  Here's a review by Roger Ebert that details my feelings about this wonderful film exactly...

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/shutter-island-2010

I think we will probably view Total Eclipse and Don's Plum next.  Total Eclipse was made way back in 1995 and is a film about the passionate relationship and love affair between two French poets, Paul Verlaine and Arthur Rimbaud. Don's Plum is a low budget experimental film that DiCaprio made way back in 1995 as well, but wasn't released until 2001 and then only in the non-North American markets.  I like experimental films usually so that could be a real treat.

We have already seen -

This Boy's Life
What's Eatting Gilbert Grape?
Romeo and Julliet
Marvin's Room
Titanic
The Beach
Catch Me If You Can
Gangs of New York
The Aviator
The Departed
Blood Diamond
Body of Lies
Revolutionary Road
Shutter Island
Inception
The Ides of March
J. Edgar
The Great Gatsby
The Wolf of Wall Street

And we certainly plan on going to see the Revenant when it hits the cinemas in our town.

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

Board footera