BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 20, 2015 4:31 am  #101

Re: What is the Special about? (Spoilers)

Thanks Susi. Do you think I should update The Abominable Bride imdb cast listing (at the moment Natasha O'Keeffe is listed without her character name), or would that be a spoiler?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 20, 2015 7:13 am  #102

Guys , still 40 days to go !   I'm so excited ♫ ♪ 

Last edited by Solenn (November 20, 2015 7:13 am)

Jim Moriarty. Helloooo ! ~~

November 20, 2015 7:47 am  #103

ukaunz wrote:

Thanks Susi. Do you think I should update The Abominable Bride imdb cast listing (at the moment Natasha O'Keeffe is listed without her character name), or would that be a spoiler?

I do not think so. And I suppose they are going to delete it if that was the case. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 20, 2015 8:02 am  #104

SusiGo wrote:

ukaunz wrote:

I do not think so. And I suppose they are going to delete it if that was the case. 

I recently found out that anyone can edit the information on imdb, and I'm not sure the producers of a show or movie even check the listings (I've seen cast lists with character names spelled incorrectly). Anyway, for some reason Natasha O'Keeffe is the only one without a character name. I'll update it and hopefully no one will yell about it

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 24, 2015 10:27 am  #105

So here is a little summary from Radio Times:

Sherlock: The Abominable Bride
Sherlock goes back in time to 1895… or does he?  The Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman drama returns for Christmas with a twist. As the BBC statement has it: “We've been here before - but what if this wasn't the modern day but the late Victorian period? What if the world's most famous consulting detective and his best friend lived in a Baker Street of steam trains, hansom cabs, top hats and frock-coats? Welcome to 'Sherlock' in 1895!
“Some things, though, remain reassuringly the same. Friendship, adventure and especially, MURDER...
“Why is Thomas Ricoletti a little surprised to see his wife dressed in her old wedding gown?  Because, just a few hours before, she took her own life...
“Mrs Ricoletti's ghost now appears to be prowling the streets with an unslakeable thirst for revenge. From fog-shrouded Limehouse to the bowels of a ruined church, Holmes, Watson and their friends must use all their cunning to combat an enemy seemingly from beyond the grave and the final, shocking truth about...the Abominable Bride!”

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-11-24/sherlock-doctor-who-david-walliams-and-dickens-lead-bbc-tv-christmas-offerings

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 24, 2015 10:43 am  #106

That sounds interesting. How long to go???

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

November 24, 2015 10:58 am  #107

Very, very interesting! It sounds like a cool plot!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

November 24, 2015 1:27 pm  #108

ooooh!  That's the most detailed straight forward plot discription we've had yet! 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 24, 2015 2:11 pm  #109

That is very, very interesting.

Clueing for looks.

November 24, 2015 3:31 pm  #110

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 24, 2015 4:57 pm  #111

Good interview.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 24, 2015 5:42 pm  #112

“The first pitch was quite light. It was at the end of the third episode of the last season and I genuinely didn’t understand how they were going to get away with it. And then the more detailed pitch came when they were talking about series four as well and I went, okay, this is going to be great fun.” (BC, Den of Geek)

Very interesting quote. It definitely proves that the special is not a stand-alone as we have been told for so long. If it only makes sense in the light of series 4, there must be a very close connection. This. Is. Exciting. 

November 24, 2015 6:52 pm  #113

That was a great interview, and it's stalled some of my worst fears! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

November 24, 2015 7:06 pm  #114

Yes, and he says "it does advance things, it's not on it's own".   Really intriguing!

November 24, 2015 8:49 pm  #115

I was intrigued by this part...

... I’m sure he’ll wear his coat again. It’s like the hair, the coat, the key ingredients… but what really brings me back for more cross-generationally is just the evolution of him and the characters within the stories that you know and the stories that we create out of the stories you know. That’s the real level of engagement with him I enjoy, the stuck-on bits of the doll will hopefully change at some point because what goes on underneath has to change a lot as well. As an actor, that’s what intrigues us all to come back and play these characters is that there is scope for them to expand and change and evolve.

I like that BC sees the character as so much more than the "stuck-on bits of the doll" (the hair, the coat) and is much more interested in Holmes evolving and changing. 

It makes me wonder how some fans will view this if it comes to the regular series.  There are a lot of comments on this board about Sherlock's curls, and many, many posts about the love of "The Coat".  It isn't a secret that Ben hasn't much love for the hair (re: the opening lines of this interview "I was thrilled! I went, at last, I can have a fucking haircut [laughter] I can slick it back and not have that ridiculous mop of curls on my head.").  I got the distinct impression that one of the things that BC loved about doing the Victorian special was that he saw it as an opportunity to do the same character but without the usual trappings that some use to define him and to let people see that the character is so much more than a curly hairstyle and a great coat.  Maybe this special could be considered a trial balloon in regards to shedding some of the surface aspects and allowing the regular series character to develop differently in appearance as well (and thus be a outward way of manifesting inward change).

The other part that interested me (as non-Johnlocker) was this little exchange...

Is there still the ‘bromance’?

BC:You just really want to write the word ‘bromance’ [laughter]

There can’t be an article without it in there!

BC:There can. You can be the first! Strive for change in the press. [Laughter]

BC:It’s definitely a companionship that’s evolved in our version, so we’re not regressing it back to ‘wow! Golly Holmes’ or some kind of Nigel Bruce-esque adoration, it’s more complex than that. It is an examination of what they were in the original stories but with our flavour.

I know I am in a distinct minority on this board and it is just my personal opinion, of course, but it does my non-shipping heart good to see that BC still seems to be adamant about having the actual characters not fall into the realm of fanfiction.  I love that he reiterates that their relationship is a complex companionship of respect, not some dewy-eyed bromance. 

I am really looking forward to seeing this special - from all the pictures it looks to be gorgeously photographed.  Everything looks spectacular - especially the boys!

Can't wait!

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

November 24, 2015 8:56 pm  #116

I thought it...but didn't say it!(another one in the minority)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 24, 2015 9:04 pm  #117

Ah-chie: I really do not want to go to deeply into this but I cannot leave this unanswered. We have hundreds of pages on this board showing how the creators use stylistic means, the script itself, acting choices, and lots of other aspects to show that this is a love story. This is not about fanfiction but about what many people see in the show itself. Moreover, we are talking about a grown-up love story between two men and not, as you chose to call it, a "dewy-eyed" bromance. (Apart from the fact that "bromance" is an artificial construct nobody seems to be able to explain in a satisfactory way). And I am very glad that Benedict does not seem to like this silly word either.

IMO this discussion is not about majorities or minorities but about showing respect for each other's opinion. 

And another thing: "but with our flavour" is highly open to interpretation if you ask me. 

Last edited by SusiGo (November 24, 2015 10:06 pm)

November 24, 2015 9:09 pm  #118

I just took that last comment to be a general statement about the BBC Sherlock team's approach, including linking to the series.

November 24, 2015 9:12 pm  #119

I think the quote definitely refers to "companionship". 

BC:It’s definitely a companionship that’s evolved in our version, so we’re not regressing it back to ‘wow! Golly Holmes’ or some kind of Nigel Bruce-esque adoration, it’s more complex than that. It is an examination of what they were in the original stories but with our flavour.

"Of what they were" seems to refer to Holmes and Watson's companionship if I am not very much mistaken. 

November 24, 2015 9:30 pm  #120

Yes.
The best male friendship in fiction.

Board footera