BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 17, 2015 3:03 pm  #1

Ben in Cambridge Spies

Didn't see any thread dedicated to this so I thought I would post one. 

It's an oldie and nothing more than a couple minutes at best of on screen acting, but I saw BC in the mini-series Cambridge Spies last night.

He played a fellow British journalist, with whom one of the protagonists sits with in a bar in Spain during the era of the Spainish Civil War.  The mini series is listed as being shown in 2003 so he had to be about 27 (maybe even 26 if the filming was done earlier than the broadcast date). 

He only says about 2 or three lines of dialogue but this whole movie is beautifully photographed and the shot of BC lounging back in his chair in the bar is no exception.  There is a relatively close-up shot of him talking as well - he looks sooooo young but his distinctive deep voice is there in full bloom.

If you haven't seen this series I highly recommend it.  It covers a wide swath of time in the lives of the four Cambridge Spies (Burgess, Philby, Blunt and MacLean) and there is even a fairly good mention of Bletchley Park and John Carincross (who is portrayed as being a much different personality than in TIG).

Has anyone else seen this mini-series and especially BC's role in it?  Please feel free to add your views of his performance (and of the series as a whole) if you have.

Again, I highly recommend it, although I would also like to say it is what i would consider adult fare - with some nudity (both full frontal male and female shots), some gory violence (both up close and scenes of casualties in the scenes of the bombing of Guernica), and sexual scenes (both hetro and homo-sexual in nature).  But as an adult viewing it I sure can appreciate the gorgeous photography (the shots of Cambridge are all so well done they almost bring a tear to my eye), the high standards of acting (especially  Tom Hollander and Rupert Penry-Jones) and the interesting examination at a complex time in the lives of these four people (it especially is good at setting up context so you can see motivation in the characters' actions). 

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

November 17, 2015 4:42 pm  #2

Re: Ben in Cambridge Spies

Yep, I love it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 18, 2015 2:19 am  #3

Sounds interesting, Val.  Maybe I will watch it at some point.

Clueing for looks.

November 18, 2015 6:37 am  #4

Benedict's appearance is negligible...but I just love it anyway.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera