BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 11, 2015 6:51 pm  #81

Re: What is the Special about? (Spoilers)

OK, my new theory about the Special and how there can be a Victorian time warp.  It involves the ultimate Moftiss conceit.

Two modern day TV show writers, who also happen to be Sherlock fanboys, meet on a train and begin discussing making a Sherlock Holmes adaptation and promoting it to the BBC. The Special is their creative imagining - which we get to see played out on the screen.

This could be the show as it would have been had it not brought into the modern era 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

November 11, 2015 8:00 pm  #82

Ha! I can see them doing that!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 11, 2015 8:13 pm  #83

I would love that!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 12, 2015 3:30 am  #84

And the Special ends with the BBC saying they really like the concept but Sherlock Holmes adaptations have been done to death.  Can't they come up with a new twist - like, maybe setting it in the 21st Century?  And the rest, as they say, is history....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

November 12, 2015 5:03 am  #85

What a great idea!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

November 12, 2015 5:04 am  #86

Awh yes! A true meta episode. I love it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

November 12, 2015 5:58 am  #87

Very clever indeed, KP! I can already picture that.

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

November 12, 2015 6:42 am  #88

See, Mark and Steven can just rest on their laurels and let the fans write Sherlock for them....oh no, what am I saying?!  Tee Hee.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 12, 2015 7:39 am  #89

Brilliant idea, KP! 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 12, 2015 10:02 am  #90

Yeah, KP, that could it be indeed... they way it went.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

November 12, 2015 3:24 pm  #91

KeepersPrice wrote:

And the Special ends with the BBC saying they really like the concept but Sherlock Holmes adaptations have been done to death. Can't they come up with a new twist - like, maybe setting it in the 21st Century? And the rest, as they say, is history....

What do you mean?

Jim Moriarty. Helloooo ! ~~

November 12, 2015 4:37 pm  #92

Er, well we now have a 21st century version!

November 13, 2015 8:20 am  #93

Forgive me if this has been mentioned already, but considering what has been said lately for example by Steven Moffatt -that it was an aim to make the women more important and able to speak up *wildly paraphrazing here*- and the importance of the year 1895... That made me thinking: movement of the suffragettes maybe? We also had the meta discussing the involvement of the women working in the match industries. I read on wikipedia a bit about the suffragettes and somehow it rang a bell.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suffragette
It covers not only the movement in Great Britain though. And I cannot really draw a connection to some SH story. But please look at the pictures at the bottom, there's the one which reminds me of Mary's costume, second row, on the right.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

November 13, 2015 8:39 am  #94

Mrshouse, that for me sheds a whole new light to the "Those gentlemen" line!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

November 13, 2015 9:22 am  #95

I just happened to watch "The Golden Pince Nez" (Granada series) today, and it featured Suffragettes (although it turned it to be irrelevant to the mystery). Everything is canon, as Moftiss say

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 13, 2015 9:35 am  #96

Interesting, ukaunz, I have to read that again.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

November 14, 2015 3:58 am  #97

mrshouse, I don't think the suffragettes were in the original ACD story, I think it was added in to the Granada adaptation to pad the story out a bit

November 16, 2015 8:35 pm  #98

A theory concerning the role of the bride in a ShSpesh:

http://cosmoglaut.tumblr.com/post/131961684038

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 17, 2015 5:03 am  #99

Interesting. Where did they get the name Emilia Ricoletti from? Setlock? Just wondering...

November 17, 2015 7:58 am  #100

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera