BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 6, 2015 7:56 pm  #61

Re: What is the Special about? (Spoilers)

So, on today's new mini trailer we obviously get a new take on Sherlock's and John's first meeting. One might expect a formal meeting of two Victorian gentlemen who are introduced to each other by a third party. Instead they make it far less formal and far more coquettish than ASiP:

Mike Stamford not being able to finish the name, only introducing "Mr Sherlock". Holmes blindly tossing Watson the riding crop (!) and Watson catching it smoothly. And then the "You'll do", as in "come on, move into my spare room and into my life". Followed by BAMF! military doctor Watson who can break every bone in your body while naming them. This is really, really promising. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 6, 2015 8:23 pm  #62

My knickers are in grave danger right now.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 9, 2015 10:22 pm  #63

Just watched this BBC One reel, which included clips of Sherlock (and some other awesome looking dramas coming out but I digress..) 

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/sherlock/news/a773319/the-drama-hots-up-in-a-new-trailer-for-the-bbcs-upcoming-season/

Was that Benny/Sherlock with long, slightly messy hair? 
That must have been from the Special right? 

If so I'm wondering what circumstance has Sherlock rocking that style?? We've not seen it in any other clips....

November 9, 2015 10:29 pm  #64

It is from "The Hollow Crown" where he plays Shakespeare's Richard III. Something else to look forward to. We have a thread for this as wel if you want to have a look: 

http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=5038

Last edited by SusiGo (November 9, 2015 10:30 pm)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 9, 2015 10:29 pm  #65

Thinking about what you are referring to, I'm pretty sure that you are talking about the shot of him that is from Hollow Crown, in which he plays Richard III. Look in the topic for it under Benedict's non-Sherlock work and I think you will see it there.

Clueing for looks.

November 9, 2015 10:31 pm  #66

Cross 

November 10, 2015 6:34 am  #67

No need to be cross, tee hee.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 10, 2015 9:26 am  #68

SusiGo wrote:

So, on today's new mini trailer we obviously get a new take on Sherlock's and John's first meeting. One might expect a formal meeting of two Victorian gentlemen who are introduced to each other by a third party. Instead they make it far less formal and far more coquettish than ASiP:

Mike Stamford not being able to finish the name, only introducing "Mr Sherlock". Holmes blindly tossing Watson the riding crop (!) and Watson catching it smoothly. And then the "You'll do", as in "come on, move into my spare room and into my life". Followed by BAMF! military doctor Watson who can break every bone in your body while naming them. This is really, really promising. 

http://valeria2067.tumblr.com/post/132663579382/application-for-the-position-of-assistant-to-mr

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 10, 2015 11:49 am  #69

I am sure he has all necessary qualifications for the job. 

November 10, 2015 11:56 am  #70

I love this!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

November 10, 2015 7:33 pm  #71

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 10, 2015 8:53 pm  #72

Oh, this is lovely! 

And here is a very interesting article with Mark talking about the special which does not just allude to the role of women but also to a long-term masterplan for the whole show:

http://www.mtv.com/news/2423879/sherlock-victorian-special-women/

November 10, 2015 9:08 pm  #73

Good, so if I see one more lazy journalist refer to series 4 as the final series...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 11, 2015 11:08 am  #74

Saw that mtv link on tumblr, can we please talk about this:

yes, the show has a long-term plan when it comes to what the heck is going on with Moriarty (Andrew Scott).“There’s a master plan,” he said with a smile. “There’s a plan. There is a long-term plan. Very long term.”

I mean there is no way Moriarty is alive but I'd love to see Andrew until the very last Sherlock episode in someones mindpalace.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

November 11, 2015 11:25 am  #75

It is from the article I linked above. Lots of interesting stuff in there. Would love to discuss it. 

November 11, 2015 11:30 am  #76

LOL... spotted that only now. Brilliant!!!!!!

Last edited by gently69 (November 11, 2015 2:29 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

November 11, 2015 1:06 pm  #77

We all now that's what he dreamt to do

Jim Moriarty. Helloooo ! ~~

November 11, 2015 1:38 pm  #78

SusiGo wrote:

It is from the article I linked above. Lots of interesting stuff in there. Would love to discuss it. 

that's what I wrote above the quote, that I saw that the mtv link, you've posted, on tumblr too.

I really hope Moriarty will live forever in his mindpalace. It could be the running gag of the show, that Andrew comes around for every new series for a day and does some mind palace scenes.

Last edited by Ivy (November 11, 2015 1:38 pm)

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

November 11, 2015 2:25 pm  #79

Sorry, I overlooked that bit. 

So this confirms what many of those who were not disappointed said after series 3 aired: it has never been an episodic show but a show with long narrative arcs. This may be applied to Johnlock, M-theory and other theories that are looking for parallels, mirrors, etc. through the show. Nothing really new but yet it may come as a surprise to those who thought that the writers changed direction with series 3 and turned it into something it has not been before. Series 1 and 2 may have been different in style but it was never a one-case-per-episode show. 

November 11, 2015 4:49 pm  #80

So that's what the smile was all about. Just refraining himself from lauching himself at Watson

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

Board footera