BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 14, 2015 10:51 pm  #901

Re: Fan Fiction Addicts General Round Table Discusion - ADULT CONTENT

I just finished reading Consolation by Mildredandbobbin, and I have to recommend it to everyone who likes deep, emotional, well-written romantic slash - and guess what, it's not Johnlock! It's the first Sherstrade fic I have read and been totally on board with (after getting over the hurdle of John being happily married to a lovely Mary; it was written pre-S3, so it's not the Mary we know from the series). I can actually ship Greg and Sherlock after this, although I don't know if any other fics will convince me as well as this one (the only other one I can think of was actually an OT3-some). I really love Greg in this story, he is wonderful, completely in character and indeed more fleshed-out than on the show. Sherlock's character is perfectly captured too.

Read it here http://archiveofourown.org/works/626177

Last edited by ukaunz (October 14, 2015 10:52 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 15, 2015 5:14 am  #902

Your post made me realize that we don't have a proper thread for reccommendations like this one. There is one for Johnlock fics and one for non-slash fics. Maybe you can open one so we can keep the round table free of reccs.

To come back to the general topic at hand now:

Is there anyone else into Sherstrade?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

October 15, 2015 5:35 am  #903

Oh sorry, do you want me to delete the link/rec from here, or just copy it into a new thread?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 15, 2015 12:22 pm  #904

Schmiezi wrote:

Your post made me realize that we don't have a proper thread for reccommendations like this one. There is one for Johnlock fics and one for non-slash fics. Maybe you can open one so we can keep the round table free of reccs.

Note me.  And not just because of johnlock.  I would really like to see Lastrade and Molly get together.  They are both such good people and both are in and out of bad relationships.  I think they'd be great together.  I've read many johnlock fics where they have Molly and Lastrade get together also and it works so well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 6, 2015 10:13 pm  #905

Lol, I just saw the most hilarious and awesome fic tag I've seen in a while:

#I hope my mum doesn't read this

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

November 6, 2015 11:13 pm  #906

tonnaree wrote:

Schmiezi wrote:

Note me.  And not just because of johnlock.  I would really like to see Lastrade and Molly get together.  They are both such good people and both are in and out of bad relationships.  I think they'd be great together.  I've read many johnlock fics where they have Molly and Lastrade get together also and it works so well.

I ADORE Sherstrade!!!!!!

November 6, 2015 11:16 pm  #907

ukaunz wrote:

I just finished reading Consolation by Mildredandbobbin, and I have to recommend it to everyone who likes deep, emotional, well-written romantic slash - and guess what, it's not Johnlock! It's the first Sherstrade fic I have read and been totally on board with (after getting over the hurdle of John being happily married to a lovely Mary; it was written pre-S3, so it's not the Mary we know from the series). I can actually ship Greg and Sherlock after this, although I don't know if any other fics will convince me as well as this one (the only other one I can think of was actually an OT3-some). I really love Greg in this story, he is wonderful, completely in character and indeed more fleshed-out than on the show. Sherlock's character is perfectly captured too.

Thanks for the rec!!!! Off to inhale-- I mean, read!

November 9, 2015 8:33 am  #908

ukaunz wrote:

Yes, this is an excellent story. I'm not much fan of Sherstrade, but this makes sense. Great.

November 26, 2015 2:51 pm  #909

I have a question that I think would be suitable for this thread:

This fandom reminds me a bit about the Harry Potter-fandom in that there was a lot of activity, a lot of speculations and a lot of fanfics - combined with year-long waits between each book and movie. So I recognize the same things happening to me now that did back then:

I would spend the long wait reading fanfics. A lot of it. And as we have discussed before, there are some tropes (if you like) that are common in Sherlock/Johnlock fanfics (as in all other fandoms). Characters are explored.

So what happens in the long waits is that I spend just as much time, if not more, reading fanfics as I do watching the show. Because there are only so many episodes to watch, and there are endless amounts of fanfics. So what happens is that the Sherlock and John from the show becomes mixed with the Sherlock and John I read about, and the series characters becomes flavoured and coloured by the fanfic versions.

It just happens organically and naturally and I only recognise it because the same happened with the HP-characters.

Is that something you guys have experienced? Or are you able to keep them completely separate?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

November 29, 2015 10:05 pm  #910

I haven't watched the DVDs in ages (i. e. several months) which avoids mix-ups. Still read fanfic, though...

November 29, 2015 10:52 pm  #911

@Vhanja
Yes. Happened to me with Harry Potter. The more fanfic I read, the less excited I was for the original. It really made me enjoy esp. the last book less.
I'm worried I will feel the same about Sherlock one day. Can't stay away though. Addict.

I think fanfiction explores so many things that don't get on-screen time that in the end the fiction feels more complex and just fills the gaps.

Still, I have moments when I wish I'd never read a fanfic ever.

Last edited by Whisky (November 29, 2015 10:56 pm)

"It is what it is."

November 29, 2015 11:00 pm  #912

Vhanja wrote:

Lol, I just saw the most hilarious and awesome fic tag I've seen in a while:

#I hope my mum doesn't read this

Don't we all 

"It is what it is."

November 29, 2015 11:07 pm  #913

Whisky wrote:

@Vhanja
Yes. Happened to me with Harry Potter. The more fanfic I read, the less excited I was for the original. It really made me enjoy esp. the last book less.
I'm worried I will feel the same about Sherlock one day. Can't stay away though. Addict.

I think fanfiction explores so many things that don't get on-screen time that in the end the fiction feels more complex and just fills the gaps.

Still, I have moments when I wish I'd never read a fanfic ever.

It doesn't make me less excited about the original, but my view on the characters starts to become influence by the fanfic versions. I would say in many ways it's an enrichment as they explore more in fanfics than in the series, however it's not exactly a Moftiss canon influence (but then again, that doesn't necessarily matter).

Team Hudders!

November 29, 2015 11:46 pm  #914

I never read any Harry Potter fan fiction.   As a matter of fact Sherlock and before that The X-Files are the only two fandoms where I've ever gotten addicted to the fiction.      For me they only enhance my enjoyment of the actual show.,

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 15, 2015 12:31 am  #915

This is a clever summary of different kinds of fanfic
http://otpodcast.tumblr.com/post/134698427531/justanotherfmablog-yougothenigo

Any you could add?

December 15, 2015 10:06 pm  #916

I think that's funny and sweet - can you guess this here? 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 15, 2015 10:21 pm  #917

Christmas fic? 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 15, 2015 10:22 pm  #918

Christmas fic?

December 15, 2015 10:22 pm  #919

Hint: count 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 15, 2015 10:38 pm  #920

Snap nakahara
Santa fic exchange?

Board footera